John Vasey

North drugs arrest trucker is freed May 4 2004

By Matt Casey, The Evening Chronicle

Trucker John Vasey was finally freed today after more than a year in a French jail accused of smuggling £2.5m of drugs.

He has protested his innocence since his arrest, 14 months ago, and claims he was a fall guy for drug barons.

Today his overjoyed family were making arrangements to fly him home after his trial yesterday.

French judges ruled he could be released after paying £3,200 as a bail bond or fine.

Details of his release were given in a phone call from his mother, Mary, to his father, Ken, last night.

Emotional Mr Vasey senior said: "The message was a bit garbled as Mary was so excited but the main thing is John is coming out of prison.

"Mary did mention a bail bond. I’m still not sure if the judges found him guilty, or if bond is something like a fine. But under French law they probably had no alternative than to find him guilty.

"Mary is arranging to get the money to the prison today and if all goes well, John could fly home tomorrow with his mother.

"John has lost his business and two lorries since this all started.

“We have always known he was innocent and we’re all over the moon that he’s being freed at last.”

Mr Vasey, 43, of Lambton Village, Washington, was arrested in March last year after a huge haul of cannabis was found in sealed containers of cargo he had collected in Barcelona.

As well as his family and friends, he has been backed by fellow lorry drivers who say he had no idea what was hidden in the load.

The family hired Newcastle lawyer Clive McKeag to help the campaign to free him.

Mr McKeag feared despite Mr Vasey’s claims of innocence, he would still be found guilty of drug smuggling because of European law.

Mr McKeag, who was taken on by Mr Vasey’s parents to help a French advocate representing their son, said: "I’ve read all the documents and statements and firmly believe he was duped and was the fall guy in the operation.

"It was by chance that he was driving the load as the original driver called in to say his mother was ill and Mr Vasey had to take his place.

"He was told he was picking up a consignment of ceramics. The consignment was on shrink-wrapped pallets tied with special tape put on by machine.

"He wouldn’t have been able to check to see what was in it because if he tampered with it by opening it, the consignment would not have been accepted at its destination.

"Because of a recent European law, the driver has sole responsibility for the contents of the consignment.

“Even if the judges accept Mr Vasey’s version their hands will be tied by the ruling.”

Mr Vasey was arrested on his mother’s 68th birthday. Last month she celebrated her 69th birthday with a renewed belief that her son was innocent and would eventually be freed.

sorce icnewcastle.co.uk

as we now know John has been released and files home wednesday 5 may

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I wish I had a Secretary. She would have wanted triple time for today.

Come home Mary and let me get out driving again. Anyway John will be home tomorrow night, I’m picking him and Mary up at Stanstead 18.00hrs, be home about 22.30.

And then Thursday John can take all his calls himself :smiley: :slight_smile: :smiley: :slight_smile: :smiley: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Let’s be serious just for one minute,

Truckfest 2003 when I first met Rikki we had no idea how long this would take.
I know what we have been through has been a nightmare and something I could never have imagined, but Rikki and the supporters who were there gave us hope and that hope we have clung to and now John is coming home.

Thank You seems so little to say too so many, I can’t name you all, I would forget some and embarras some so can I just say a big THANK YOU to everybody , I’m sure John will be on here soon.

And lastly we must not forget the others who are still out there, they need our support as much as John has had.

My water tells me that something is just beginning

Trucker’s joy at jail release May 5 2004

North East trucker John Vasey today spoke for the first time about his 14-month ordeal in a French prison.

The 43-year-old from Washington walked out after a surprise decision by three judges stunned him and his family.

John, pictured, who was expecting to be jailed for five years, has protested his innocence since he was arrested and charged with smuggling £2.5m of cannabis over the border from Spain.

But today he said: “When I walked down the street in the fresh air it was quite an amazing feeling.”

He described his time in a prison in Perpignan, France, as an “horrendous ordeal”.

He said when he appeared before the three judges on Monday he fully expected to be sent back to prison.

John added: "The judges questioned me for about two hours and then adjourned.

"When they came back after 40 minutes they announced something in French and then my advocate told me I was being freed on bail.

"I just couldn’t believe it and I was totally numb.

“Right from the start I have said I knew nothing about the drugs on the lorry.”

He was initially put into an 18ft by 6ft crowded cell with two Spaniards who couldn’t speak English.

Later he was moved into a same sized cell and placed with two Englishmen.

John said today: "We were locked up 20 hours a day and had to make sure cockroaches and mice didn’t find their way into the cell.

“We were supplied with basic food and had to supplement this with stuff from the prison store, similar to a canteen.”

His mother, Mary, 69, cousin Sue Wintrip and a family friend, Vera Sayous, who lives in Perpignan, were in court for the result. Mary said: “Everyone is ecstatic about what has happened. I haven’t cried yet but I will when John is home in Washington and sees his son David.”

John’s lawyer, Clive McKeag, claims he was a fall guy for drug barons.

sorce icnewcastle.co.uk

Home at last May 6 2004

Trucker John Vasey was today back home after more than a year in a cramped French prison cell.

John Vasey (left) with dad Ken.

Speaking from his Washington home, the 43-year-old devoted Newcastle United fan said: “All I want is to see the team beat Marseille tonight.”

The journey home began on Monday when three judges stunned the former fireman by freeing him when he appeared in court accused of drug smuggling.

John, who had protested his innocence since he was arrested 14 months ago, was expecting a five-year jail sentence.

But the judges freed him on payment of £3,200 bail, delighting him and his family.

John, who was accused of crossing the Spanish border with £2.5m worth of cannabis in sealed containers of cargo he had collected from Barcelona, was forced to return to prison because of the late court sitting.

He had to spend another night in his cell at Perpignan jail on Tuesday.

After his mother, Mary, 69, and other family relatives borrowed the money to pay the bail, he was released at 3pm yesterday.

Last night he flew to Stanstead airport near London and was driven to his mother’s home in Lambton Village, Washington, for an emotional reunion and a family party.

Today he said: "I am still amazed by it all and I just can’t take it all in that I’m now home again.

“I can’t really describe how I feel. It’s just great to be here. The mobile phone has never stopped ringing since we landed in Stanstead, with messages from family and friends.”

He said that when he went through Customs and Passport control at Stanstead airport, the nightmare of his arrest returned to him.

He said: "I felt apprehensive because of what I had been through.

"But when I came out of the airport I knew I was back in the UK because of the cold and the rain.

"Last night we had a few drinks to celebrate and it’s just brilliant to be home.

“I didn’t really expect to be home so soon because I fully expected to get a five-year jail sentence.”

John said his first move on being released was to make his way to a bar with his cousin Sue Wintrip and enjoy his first beer for a long time.

“I actually paid for the beers - it was money well spent.” said John, who ran a haulage business in Houghton le Spring before his arrest.

He has made arrangements with his estranged wife, Emma, to meet up with his nine-year old-son on Friday in Carlisle.

"I saw David at Easter but before that it was Christmas. I have only seen him four times since I’ve been in prison, he’ll be spending the weekend with me.

“The last time I saw him he was very affected. He’s been really, really upset about it and all I want is to see him again.”

He said as far as he could gather from his French lawyer, Jean Guyot, he would not have to go back to court.

His family has posted a message on the John Vasey website praising the work of his two lawyers.

Today John was making arrangements to see Newcastle-based solicitor Clive McKeag who claimed that John was the victim of international drug barons.

John’s mother, Mary, said today: "I haven’t cried yet but I expect to when I see David again.

"When I came out of the court, I was so ecstatic I did the Gene Kelly routine and started dancing in the rain.

“It’s just fantastic, unbelievable to have John back so soon. We’ve all been just delighted.”

sorce icnewcastle.co.uk http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/icnewcastle/may2004/7/2/00038BEE-251F-109A-BD6C80C328EC0000.jpg