John Lewis Leyland RDC to be run by XPO

lancs.live/news/lancashire- … d-20245269

They took over MK… and guess what, it has gone tiits up, use to take around 30mins to get tipped at produce, now 2 hrs is common, taken unloaders and put them on to picking, reduced shift sizes… But there’s lots of shiny new signs, and lots of new uniforms…

^^^^ it’s what they do mate. They introduce “dynamic synergies “ which basically means a cull of the wealth creators (the actual workers) and replace them with “forward focussed “ middle managers.

XPO will mess it up.Has anyone here had the misfortune of Tamworth .I spent 8 hours while they loaded my 40ft container.I could not leave since i had given my keys to the office muppets.

You think a company like XPO would have learnt how to run a warehouse seamlessly by now.
Hard to think of another company with as much experience with their fingers in so many pies.

Didn’t K&N have this contract and it’s one of the divisions they’ve sold off to XPO (or GXO whatever they want to be known as this week)? I’m thought the staff would have tupe’d over a couple of month ago if this being the case.

No XPO took over John Lewis from K&N, before then buying K&N.

Waitrose Leyland is/was in house.

adam277:
You think a company like XPO would have learnt how to run a warehouse seamlessly by now.

Ha ha, yeah like Stobarts should know how to run a trucking operation. Bigger they get, the more its focused in meeting “goals” and investor targets.

Trouble is, as mentioned they have too many managers who get good at hiding stuffups and losing contracts for upper management to care. Plus its not their money ultimately unlike family companies.

We got an ex XPO manager and for anyone who knows our depot…ma lord, I rest my case. :slight_smile:

trevHCS:

adam277:

Ha ha, yeah like Stobarts should know how to run a trucking operation. Bigger they get, the more its focused in meeting “goals” and investor targets.

Trouble is, as mentioned they have too many managers who get good at hiding stuffups and losing contracts for upper management to care. Plus its not their money ultimately unlike family companies.

We got an ex XPO manager and for anyone who knows our depot…ma lord, I rest my case. :slight_smile:

I dont get how some of these guys can be managers.

From my experience (I havent been in the game years like some have)
ex hgv drivers make good managers. They know what can and cant be done. They dont try to mess you about with defects. Yea they are harder to bs but for me they have always been fair.
That being said, I’ve known a few that cant stick staying in the office. They often go back to driving. I think dealing with the office politics is a bit of a issue for some.

Like I’ve had transport planners who dont even have a driving licence. Telling me what can be done and cant. It’s funny though, because quite often you look at their monitor and they are just checking it on Google maps and are like “Yea, its not too far away you can do it in your hours”. :laughing:

adam277:

trevHCS:

adam277:

From my experience (I havent been in the game years like some have)
ex hgv drivers make good managers. They know what can and cant be done. They dont try to mess you about with defects. Yea they are harder to bs but for me they have always been fair.
That being said, I’ve known a few that cant stick staying in the office. They often go back to driving. I think dealing with the office politics is a bit of a issue for some.

Like I’ve had transport planners who dont even have a driving licence. Telling me what can be done and cant. It’s funny though, because quite often you look at their monitor and they are just checking it on Google maps and are like “Yea, its not too far away you can do it in your hours”. :laughing:

90% of defects could be fixed by the driver,sticking ratchets,lights e.t.c,things people book stuff off for are trivial sometimes and many times I’ve rightened it myself and got on with it like most do but when you’ve signed to say you’ll do it the Logistics way you’re hanging your self out to dry,I don’t know why I do it TBH,I agree 100% though,if the bloke behind the desk is a seasoned driver you’ve half a chance because they know what can be done and what can’t as you said.

At some firms you really cant do anything yourself. Like at some supermarkets even trival issues like changing a bulb.

It’s stupid really. I know DAF and Scania at least come with a few screwdrivers , spare bulbs and fuses. But they must be taken out of the unit so you have to get a defect and then go to VMU (maintence area) to get a bulb done which sometimes can take ages.

Another driving job with decent terms about to go to the dogs then.

adam277:

Because they go to fancy schools, know how to talk their way into jobs and get the companies to pay for every qualification going. Just because they have a TM CPC doesn’t mean they have a ruddy clue what they are doing.

In XPO and similar its even worse as managers recognise only their own standard, so they employ and promote the same “qualities”.

Not sure what John Lewis are or were like. Could imagine them being a little bit corporate / logistics type, but maybe with more staff.

Regularly do mk waitrose,on a Friday night they make sainsbury Stoke,look slick.
They’re supposed to shut at 10.
Not when I rock up at half 8…with 160 lines of pharma on board :laughing:

Know why it’s called XPO?

It’s because the word sheeyite was already being used for something else!

rob22888:

I oncee worked in a John Lewis warehouse .It was like a family setting.Every year the company made a profit we got a bonus .

rob22888:

Only if the workforce allow that!

Where I currently work it used to be Christian Salvesen, it then changed to Dingle Dangles, and latterly to XPO, believe me neither subsequent companies have succeeded in changing a single part of our T’s & C’s. They may have attempted to (I genuinely don’t know) but a strong union presence has put a stop to any shenanigans.

I’ve found that generally when speaking to other XPO workers from different sites on different contracts that very little, if anything has changed post take overs. If it was crap to work there before then it’ll continue to be crap, and vice versa.

A John Lewis driver is going to have it easy, they are closing 1/3 of their stores and have lost £517m in a year

I was once partner at JLP in logistics and calls then to sub out parts of the business.
But with the partnership now in the ■■■ slicing off parts of the business will happen.

Only waitrose making a profit at the moment, with john lewis delivery hubs in bad way.
Been talk of poorly performing Brooklands CDH being closed or subbed out to a 3rd party logistics venture.
Poorly managed by those that have no outside logistics experience outside the partnership.

Wheel Nut:
A John Lewis driver is going to have it easy, they are closing 1/3 of their stores and have lost £517m in a year

Well, I reckon that poor ole John Lewis driver will have it quite tough.
Might be slightly better if they someone in to drive the lorry when he goes on his hols, so his work doesn’t stack up.