John Lewis 5k payrise

Now will the other supermarkets follow suit?

Do they employ in house or contract the work out,I always thought K&N or XPO did the Transport for them is the reason I ask…

Enjoy it while it last. JLP won’t exist in a couple of years imo.

DCPCFML:

It’s one of those names on a list of names where it wouldn’t surprise me to just see it go under overnight. Like Debenhams had that feeling for years before going pop etc.

toonsy:

DCPCFML:

It’s one of those names on a list of names where it wouldn’t surprise me to just see it go under overnight. Like Debenhams had that feeling for years before going pop etc.

They lost their way years ago. People used to shop there because a) they had what you wanted in stock and b) their ‘no quibble’ return and refund policy. Now, they never have anything in stock - it’s always “but we can order it in for you” and now the staff give you a load of grief over returns and will only refund as a last resort. They’ve basically annihilated their entire market who now use Amazon or one of the hundreds of other online retailers. Physical bricks and mortar department stores are finished. Those still in existence are on borrowed time. I give JLP 5 years tops, but I think 2 is more likely. M&S won’t be far behind them either, although the food side seems to do fairly well.

DCPCFML:

toonsy:

DCPCFML:

They lost their way years ago. People used to shop there because a) they had what you wanted in stock and b) their ‘no quibble’ return and refund policy. Now, they never have anything in stock - it’s always “but we can order it in for you” and now the staff give you a load of grief over returns and will only refund as a last resort. They’ve basically annihilated their entire market who now use Amazon or one of the hundreds of other online retailers. Physical bricks and mortar department stores are finished. Those still in existence are on borrowed time. I give JLP 5 years tops, but I think 2 is more likely. M&S won’t be far behind them either, although the food side seems to do fairly well.

this… the high street stores stuffed full of cheap tat with sales sassistants that are rude and unhelpfull are finished. people cant be bothered to trapse into town and try to park at great cost only to be confronted with some spotty oink that cant be bothered to string a proper sentance together let alone acctualy serve you and do thier job. Leaviung you to hunt round for the item you want with no real knowlage of it. People would rather sit on thier couch and do that in a 10th of the time.

however the stores that are really knownagable and the staff are more than happy to assist you in otherwords old fashtioned customer service i think they will survive

DCPCFML:
Physical bricks and mortar department stores are finished. Those still in existence are on borrowed time. I give JLP 5 years tops, but I think 2 is more likely. M&S won’t be far behind them either, although the food side seems to do fairly well.

This. Unless you’re doing something like food your days are numbered. Amazon are expanding into everything and everywhere and you only need to look at the increase in work in the parcel and pallet network sector to realise where it’s going. Even those companies like Next who have physical stores push their online.

The High Street is killing itself. When you can’t buy a winter coat in winter then those shops are of no use to you.

Yup, High Street self destructing, aided and abetted by councils who make a complete ■■■■■■■■ of the roads to deter those with cars (who usually have money to spend :bulb: ) extorting money from car parking if you can find a space, plus the inevitable bus lane and box junction cameras designed to milk the unwary and any strangers daft enough to try and shop there.

And don’t get me started on the lack of public conveniences, McD’s don’t get paid to provide free toilets for the town, that really is taking the ■■■■.
They refurbed the toilets in our town and then started charging you to use them, strongly worded letter to my MP was met with the typical sympathetic but useless reply, never go near the town now except to shop in Morrisons.

Good luck to the drivers enjoying their pay rise, i hope it lasts for them.

Funny isn’t it, how companies can all of a sudden magic these huge pay rises up in the middle of a pandemic. Any other time you have to fight for a few % and even then they act like you’re bankrupting them.

I saw an ad for Great Bear recently, £29k 4 on 4 off. Saw same ad last week but £35k. That’s a £6k rise over night. And I bet the boss still gets to keep his Lambo and Rolex.

And the more you earn, the more the government takes off you, so your no better off.

Ken.

Dunno ^^^ I’d be ecstatic if I was paying £5k a week tax.

Quinny:
And the more you earn, the more the government takes off you, so your no better off.

That’s the kind of comments I expect from poor people who justify why they sit on their arses on benefits instead of getting a job. It is absolutely impossible in this country to be no better off the more you earn. The highest rate of income tax in this country is 45% once you earn more than £150,000 and long before you get to that your national insurance drops to 2% so the max deductions you can have is 47%. There is no point anywhere at all you are taxed more than half of what you earn and there is no point where you are taxed all you earn.

Conor:

Quinny:

That’s the kind of comments I expect from poor people who justify why they sit on their arses on benefits instead of getting a job. It is absolutely impossible in this country to be no better off the more you earn. The highest rate of income tax in this country is 45% once you earn more than £150,000 and long before you get to that your national insurance drops to 2% so the max deductions you can have is 47%. There is no point anywhere at all you are taxed more than half of what you earn and there is no point where you are taxed all you earn.

That’s actually tosh- there certainly are circumstances where folk in receipt of means-tested in-work benefits can be worse off by earning more - especially if they have school-age children and/or other adult dependents in the household who cannot work due to sickness or disability.