John Jerwood - Cheal Meats

Hi. I’ve noticed a few of you referring to John Jerwood the transport manager of Cheal Meats in a couple of posts on this forum and the comments about how he was well respected by the men he worked with.

Sadly John passed away this summer and is greatly missed by myself and my wife (his sister).

John was a “diamond geezer” and one of the old school just like his dad (also called John) and I’m sure all those that came into contact with him will have only good things to say about him. Yes, he could be a tough cookie at times and didn’t suffer fools gladly and told it as it was but underneath that sometimes tough exterior beat a heart of gold.

I remember how the loss of his job at Cheal affected him quite severly and for a while he was a lost soul but he bounced back and I’m pleased to say some of his last years were some of his best and particular the time he spent running a pub in Chatham.

Can you imagine, John plus beer and ■■■■ as a job. He was in his element and in charge as well!

Hope you don’t mind me giving you this sad update but given the high esteem he was held by so many I thought it right that you should you learn of what became of him and in your own way say your goodbyes to him, next time you have a drink or two.

Sound`s like he was a Top Man. R.I.P

Hi. Sad news, but happy memories, I worked for Cheales as a driver and owner driver during the 90’s.I’ll pass on the news to Chris Brown whom John worked with for many years.

Hi Rogcal just read your post about wee John did the old holburn get him in the end? I was one of Johns Scottish hauliers chasing the markets all the time. Pork for Germany and beef for France. If you worked with John he just left you alone to get on with the job. I worked with John from 1992 till 2000 and never had a crossword with the man. I am still in contact with some of the lads i will pass on the sad news. happy memories on this job, hard days and long nights, but a good firm to work for with a good bunch of lads. R.I.P John, all the best Wullie

Thank you guys for taking the time to respond with your memories of John.

My wife (his sister) has been greatly touched by your kind and respectful sentiments in respect of what a great person he was to work with and has asked me to pass on her thanks also.

Yes, he will be sadly missed but we all share the good memories of him, to remember him by.

p.s yes Wullie you’re right, it was the “Old Holborn” that got him but I think he knew that was on the cards, as his dad went the same way and they were both stubborn buggers who lived their lives the way they wanted to!

did john drive on livestock for cheales mid 80s sounds like the fella used to pick sows up from my uncles in a scania 82 wagon and dragon always a nice fella ?