John Gaunt Talk 1089

Was listening to his prog 13/06/06 he was on about the shell drivers on strike had other drivers phoning in on about it,quite a few were saying they would do the job for £36,000 a year.
then came one phone call from a driver saying he works from 0100 hours and does 12/15 hour shifts maybe he should not be in this job as he should know doing these types of shifts are illegal.

Sorry Curly, I’m up on the rules and regs that refer to my work. But why is his work illegal?
Did anything get mentioned about.
How many days/nights on/off?
Holiday pay. etc■■?

did not mention any shifts etc ,
the shift is illegal as according to nightshift working if you start work between 2300 and 0300 you are not allowed to work anymore then 10 hours.

curly:
the shift is illegal as according to nightshift working if you start work between 2300 and 0300 you are not allowed to work anymore then 10 hours.

LGV nightshift is working anything from midnight to 4am
Breaks and POA do not count towards the 10 hour shift
The driver mentioned could do 8 hours of driving, 2 hours of other work, 2 hours of breaks and 3 hours of POA in one night shift which makes a total shift time of 15 hours but only 10 count as per the WTD and is legal.

So once again the WTD is only worth wipeing your arse on.
Is wipeing your arse, POA, OW, or BREAK? :laughing:
It would be nice to find out what they are expected to do for the money.

why do some people wish to work for
peanuts, thedrivers from shell have to be
trained to a high standard and sorry I see
it over here every day where before a firm
used to deliver their own goods and then the
idiot with the accounts book said look by useing
drivers from other firms we can save money,
oh yeh BUT what happen you get a lowering
of standards , speeding lorries, saftey rules being
misacted, and more accidents, Sorry they
are doing a job and deserve a wage that reflects that
Many places that i now visit do not allow german
firms to send inappropiate drivers to their factorys
to load, if the vehicle in question is german regerstered, and this is happening by the dutch
also,19years ago a gas driver in the UK was
earning around 30,000pounds a year,so folks
good luck to them,

curly:

There could also be a workforce ageed opt out in place that means that the 10 hour rule does not count :wink:

curly:

Yes your right but you also forgot to take into account that if the workforce has a collective agreement in place to work longer they will not be breaking the law.

The limit between 23:00 and 03:00 is simply to stop employers “Forcing” drivers to work longer than 10 hrs if they dont want to.