john foreman

hi, I am new to the forum, do not know if this an impossible question but hear goes.
my uncle worked for john foreman back of rosebury cres. jesmond Newcastle up on tyne. in the 50s maybe before. has any member ever heard of them, and this maybe impossible, does anyone have any pictures of the wagons?
I know this maybe a long shot but I would appreciate any sort of info.you can give me.
thank you.
ozy

ozy:
hi, I am new to the forum, do not know if this an impossible question but hear goes.
my uncle worked for john foreman back of rosebury cres. jesmond Newcastle up on tyne. in the 50s maybe before. has any member ever heard of them, and this maybe impossible, does anyone have any pictures of the wagons?
I know this maybe a long shot but I would appreciate any sort of info.you can give me.
thank you.
ozy

Well I can remember John Formans very well , I used to deliver mutidrop stuff to their depot in Jesmond in the 50/60s era, I loaded from Atlas Express in Glasgow quite often & two thirds of the load was for them, The rest was for a few drops around Newcastle, They had a goo.d system going when I off loaded there they had bays marked off for the regions that the goods were for, It was all done on sackbarrows in those days days, It was a good tip, & a great set of lads working there, Happy Days, Long gone sadley to say, Regards Larry.

ozy:
thank you.
ozy

Well I can remember John Formans very well , I used to deliver mutidrop stuff to their depot in Jesmond in the 50/60s era, I loaded from Atlas Express in Glasgow quite often & two thirds of the load was for them, The rest was for a few drops around Newcastle, They had a goo.d system going when I off loaded there they had bays marked off for the regions that the goods were for, It was all done on sackbarrows in those days days, It was a good tip, & a great set of lads working there, Happy Days, Long gone sadley to say, Regards Larry.

They moved to a new depot at Felling, I think they gave up the parcel delivery job and concentrated on their tanker operations, They also had a depot in Hull as far as I can remember They ran a few Fodens in those days, Regards Larry.

I think they got swallowed up into the P&O group in the end Larry.

Can’t remember them at Jesmond but used deliver coal / coke to the houses next to the Felling yard. They had a sizeable fleet of Bedford TK’s for the parcels. Not sure what traction was used for the tankers.
IIRC P&O bought the company. Think they kept the tankers going but don’t know what happened to the parcels business. The fleet engineer was the uncle of the best man at our wedding.
Changing the subject Larry, just opened a 15 year old Balvenie, cheers !!!

tyneside:
Can’t remember them at Jesmond but used deliver coal / coke to the houses next to the Felling yard. They had a sizeable fleet of Bedford TK’s for the parcels. Not sure what traction was used for the tankers.
IIRC P&O bought the company. Think they kept the tankers going but don’t know what happened to the parcels business. The fleet engineer was the uncle of the best man at our wedding.

I can savour the flavour from here, I have one myself but not opened it yet, My Daughter got it for her good old Dad, Ive just had a few Singletons just 40 volt mind, But still very nice, Anyway Tyneside Im sure you will enjoy the Balvenie if you are like me, Single Malts are the best IMO So enjoy, Regards Larry.

I think their livery was dark green with white writing before P & O took them over
cheers Johnnie

sammyopisite:
I think their livery was dark green with white writing before P & O took them over
cheers Johnnie

That’s correct, They ran a few Scammell Tankers from Their Jesmond depot & then Felling & Hull, Also you are right about P&O taking them over, Regards Larry.

hi tried to post a thank you for your replies last night (mon) not sure where it went. I am not the most confident person on the computer.
my uncle used to deliver parcels, some of the wagons, Leyland commet, bedfords, seddon, commer,. he then went on to drive the tankers, scammel in green, aec or foden in fina colours.
have any members seen the tarmac steam wagon? it is brilliant, chain drive, 40 ton tipper, also the ex consett iron works 1938/9 scammel also brilliant.
thank you again for your replies. also enjoying looking trough the old bedfords great.
ozy

They ran a big fleet of tankers in the 60s and 70s,a lot workinh[g out of B P Chemicals at Saltend Hull. They had another depot not far away called the Woodside Café at Rawcliffe near Goole.Always some Foremans parked on there on dodgy nights out. :laughing:

This is not my photo of one of their AEC MK5 Mammoth Majors with a Hull registration.The livery was,as stated,dark green with white writing.And they did end up in the P and O emporium.They ran a lot of Volvo F86s when I was running out of Saltend early 70s.

Hi Chris, you have made my day, my uncle meant a lot to me an to see that picture brought at couple of tears to my eyes, I do not know if it possible to have a copy of the picture, but I would really appreciate any help or ideas you can give me.
Thank you so much.
ozy

ozy:
Hi Chris, you have made my day, my uncle meant a lot to me an to see that picture brought at couple of tears to my eyes, I do not know if it possible to have a copy of the picture, but I would really appreciate any help or ideas you can give me.
Thank you so much.
ozy

You have a PM Ozy.

tyneside:

Hello Tyneside did you enjoy the Balvenie 15 year old, I thought the one I had was the same but its a 12 year old Double Wood & very nice too. Regards Larry.

Hiya ozy…if you go to google…John Forman lorry photos…images
you’ll see a few photos…scammell highwayman aec volvo fl10 scania 111 some are in P&o colours
John

Lawrence Dunbar:

tyneside:

Hello Tyneside did you enjoy the Balvenie 15 year old, I thought the one I had was the same but its a 12 year old Double Wood & very nice too. Regards Larry.

It is very nice thank you Larry, only trouble is the wife is matching me glass for glass !!!

hi 3300john, thank you for the reply,I have had some good results, found the scamel tanker he used to drive, also the seddon at Newcastle docks, also the depot in Newcastle where he worked from while on the parcels.
Some of the pictures were on The Still Time collection. I just missed a picture of a fina tanker that he used to drive on ebay.
I would just like say a big thank you for all your help and replies.
Unfortunatley he died in the early 60s while at work in Bedford he was a great guy, just wish I could have spent more time with him.
Thank again.
ozy.