jobs in vosa.

greg50:
could you do it?.

I couldn’t.

We have to have law enforcement, it’s just that I’m not the type of person to do it.

Ok I don’t normally comment again but this is a msg to all you VOSA lovers, I have run a transport company for the last 25 years and always try my utmost to stay legal with all the beurocracy that this govt throws at us and object to comments such as complaining operators such as me are the one’s VOSA target.

VOSA work now on something called intelligence (not sure that’s a word they understand fully) in other words they rely on moaning drivers who whinge about how many hours they have to drive and heavy items they have to lift. Then the targeting begins, they rock up on a Saturday morning when all your trucks are in the Yard and won’t leave until they find something followed by the inevitable public inquiry like I said before I have my own MOT testing station plus O licence and will not break the law but I wish they would direct their efforts towards the foreigners and leave regular guys like me and you alone.

removalizer:
they rely on moaning drivers who whinge about how many hours they have to drive and heavy items they have to lift. .

Sounds fair enough to me.

I would love to work for them, Its a job and anything is better than driving now.

1. No parking here.
  2. £25 please or its a clamp mate
  3. paying to park at lymm then pay for a shower that i have to lean against the wall to get the water to run over me,
  4. Look at that large lorry, what a hassle that is here delivering our food,

Just four reason this jobs crap

We must have the worst VOSA nazis ,they dont let you change a bulb let along fix anything , jobs worths the lot of them , like a lot of peeps in the transport game , give em a yellow jacket and clip board and the power goes to there head.

ROG:
Over the past 20 years, I have been stopped about a dozen times by VOSA in various parts of the UK and never had a problem - they were polite and professional - did their job and I was on my way - 10 mins tops - no prob :smiley: :smiley:

I was polite and respectful to them as I realise that they have a job to do and that may have been the reason that I got treated with respect - as I have never shown a negative attitude towards them, then I cannot compare what would happen if I did.

I’m glad you said that, as my experience in over 20 years is similar. They have a job to do, as long as they treat as fellow human beings, and don’t GV9 me :blush: they’re alright by me. Cue me coming on next week with a 2 page rant over a meaningless GV9 :cry:

lol You brought it on yourself , renaultman , ( do you wear a cape with a name like that ?)

they are the basis of the commercial repairs business.
without them we’d have bugger all to do…no one would do all of these repairs out of choice would they? :open_mouth:
that’s not to say i agree with the way they enforce though. :unamused:
over-zealous is the fairest description i can think of.

I could work for vosa but i would use my own disgression in every check. if a truck needs a repair and the driver is capable of sorting it let him have a go instead of getting the cowboy fitter out on the A55 to charge £20 a time to change bulbs. If a driver had driven for 12 hours but looked ok to carry on, then let him. if a driver had driven 7 hours but looked knackered then i’d park him up. after all he could have been awake all night in a noisy layby. the law may say one thing, but reality is another.
But i couldn’t work for them. The wages are crap.

limeyphil:
I could work for vosa but i would use my own disgression in every check. if a truck needs a repair and the driver is capable of sorting it let him have a go instead of getting the cowboy fitter out on the A55 to charge £20 a time to change bulbs. If a driver had driven for 12 hours but looked ok to carry on, then let him. if a driver had driven 7 hours but looked knackered then i’d park him up. after all he could have been awake all night in a noisy layby. the law may say one thing, but reality is another.
But i couldn’t work for them. The wages are crap.

Agreed about that.

If a driver can make minor repairs at the testing station then what is any different at the roadside, ok if they catch you driving along with diesel ■■■■■■■ out of a split tank, they probably are correct in refusing to let a driver loose on a makeshift repair.

I have been lucky enough to be caught with an iffy tyre and allowed to change it before proceeding. No follow up, no GV9 (PG9)

removalizer:
Ok I don’t normally comment again but this is a msg to all you VOSA lovers, … like I said before I have my own MOT testing station

Billy Connelly should come here for some material !! That’ll be the same VOSA that you applied to to test and inspect other peoples vehicles will it?!!

Wheel Nut:
The new VOSA name that srikes fear into drivers and operators has been around a long time, drivers have always complained about the men from the ministry, the traffic commissioners and the wheeltappers.

Now that it is called targeted enforcement, the people who complain the most are the ones the ministry would prefer not to be on the road.

There were certainly more roadside checks in the past then there are now.

I agree with you Wheel Nut. I’ve seen how VOSA work close up and what I saw was a lot of leeway been given — even for tacho infringements and overloading!! Just my opinion, I have no more support from VOSA than I do for HATOs.

When I was last pulled over (1997) the chap from the VI was a complete arse. He kept me in a layby for 3 hours on a baking hot Friday afternoon all because he reckoned I had “excessive play in my drive-shaft” PG9 given, Low-loader called out and as I was delivering food he said that if I wanted to use the microwave to warm up a pie from my load (wouldn’t that be stealing?) then I was more than welcome.

I was driving a 6-month old truck for god’s sake. The Mechanic back at the depot couldn’t find anything wrong with it.

Quotas eh?

The thought of Poacher turned Gamekeeper quite appeals to me… :wink: :wink: :laughing:

THE TEMPLAR:
lol You brought it on yourself , renaultman , ( do you wear a cape with a name like that ?)

:laughing: I don’t even have a Renault anymore :smiley: Got me wondering though; What could my superpowers be?

Mike-C:

removalizer:
Ok I don’t normally comment again but this is a msg to all you VOSA lovers, … like I said before I have my own MOT testing station

Billy Connelly should come here for some material !! That’ll be the same VOSA that you applied to to test and inspect other peoples vehicles will it?!!

Lets review what I have mentioned previously especially the comment " I do not break the Law" Got that ? good ! No matter how good you are at your job and how hard you try to stay legal, if the Little Hitlers have got it in for you then you are toast. Now perhaps you should read the majority of opinons on the attributes of VOSA methinks the VOSA lovers on this site are the enemy themselves no one can be that naive.

Wheelnut you forgot to mention how much you bunged them , i went to test after me and the fitter went over my unit for the 8th time , when we got to the VOSA BUNKER a bulb had blown , and one of the headlights wasnt lined up , out by a ants knacker ,well i might as well said i was osama bin ladens evil twin brother , jobs worths ,WHY is it so hard to run legal and easy peasy to run bent ?,. Renault man surely your super powers would be something to do with air and oil leaks , either stopping them or creating them or even help all them Renaults get up a hill !!!.

Templar you’ve managed to post a whole comment without using your catchphrase “PEEPS”

Are you sickening for something? :laughing:

Headlamp realignment is (with permission) allowable in the test lane.

see here: http://tinyurl.com/3kr3a5

The link to the publication explaining what is/isn’t allowed is broken. I’ve emailed the webmaster & will add the correct link here if & when received.

Good idea to make sure the adjusters aren’t seized before you go!

Headlamp alignment is one of the biggest causes of truck test failure.