Jobs,hours and wages in n.z

I hope to be emmigrating to Auckland around May / June next year.
I have been driving class 1(CLASS 5 N.Z) for 19 years and want to do the same in New Zealand. Can anyone tell me what sort of wages i should be getting in N.Z and the hours I would be doing, Do N.Z companies pay night away money, Overtime after a certain amount of hours ect.
And are you away a lot doing Line haul work.
Is there plenty of work about in Auckland /Bay Of Plenty area?
Thanks
Tony

Welcome to TN Tony, can’t help with the info you want, but you may get a better response if you hit the Caps Lock button again.
Some people might think you’re shouting at them. :wink: :laughing:

might be worth reading…
britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=474377

There is plenty of work out here in NZ. An acute shortage of good & experienced drivers. If you want to live the dream and drive an ugly American truck then line haul is for you. Expect $14-18 an hour, overtime can be anything depends on your contract. Eg Time & third after 50 hours. Hours are long but you can fiddle the log book easily.

Generally linehaul fellas sleep in their trucks or grab 3 hours on the interisland ferry. Although alot of truckies do sleep in motels or B&Bs. No night out money as a rule.

On the 1st October the drivers hours rules change for the worst in my opinion. 13 hours driving a day with an hours break. You can have 9 off and go again upto 65 hours worked in a week.

Just had a quick search again
I am seriously thinking of going before end of next year,

I have seen a few companies use volvos and scanias!

So the wages are low! but its not about that? Its what you get for your wages. say you take home NZ$800 a week, rent is anything from $100 to $300 for small 2 bed place, fuel is cheaper, cars are as well.

Also its about the quality of life

Only problem i can see is that truck drivers are on the short term skills list, which means to get residency you need an accredited company paying you NZ$50,000 a year based on 40 hours a week. Not a problem if you are a couple where your other half has skills or qualifications and can maybe get enough points to claim residency.

andy187:
Just had a quick search again
I am seriously thinking of going before end of next year,

I have seen a few companies use volvos and scanias!

So the wages are low! but its not about that? Its what you get for your wages. say you take home NZ$800 a week, rent is anything from $100 to $300 for small 2 bed place, fuel is cheaper, cars are as well.

Also its about the quality of life

Only problem i can see is that truck drivers are on the short term skills list, which means to get residency you need an accredited company paying you NZ$50,000 a year based on 40 hours a week. Not a problem if you are a couple where your other half has skills or qualifications and can maybe get enough points to claim residency.

You are right there, We got in on my wifes qualifications and got full residance but you can go as a driver with a 2 year working vise and you can extend this for another 2 years and apply for residence during this time.
I read that some agencies do pay the $50000 required but this is mainly fuel tanker jobs.