Jobs for a new driver East Kent?

Morning all, passed my CE a few weeks ago and followed that up with a house move to a different area. Now the house is sorted I’m already getting sick of travelling an hour a day to drive a forklift for a crap wage. Can anyone give me a heads up on doors that are worth knocking on? I’m based in Whitstable now. I have an application form for Firmins in Sitttingbourne, have tried Youngs in Dargate and have an email in to Stobarts re their biomass in Sittingbourne, would be very grateful for any suggestions of who’s worth an ask that will take inexperienced drivers.
My other worry is that if I do find an opportunity they won’t be willing to wait for me to work a month of notice in my current job, the money is pants but it’s not a bridge I want to burn so not working the notice isn’t an option. I have rent to pay so can’t risk quitting now without something to move on to.

Alan Firmin have always had the reputation of being a good employer. They don’t suit some, but you won’t be asked to do something you shouldn’t. I am told that the new TM came from Dodds and is not a particularly popular man which is a minus, but those drivers I have met seem content. They don’t work for peanuts so the kit is good, but of course they only pay what they can get away with. Stobart or Firmin - no contest.

Nicholls in Sittingbourne have a new, purpose built depot and have a sign outside wanting drivers.

No idea if they take newbs, what the work is or what they pay but could be worth a try.

Marshalls just down the road are looking for drivers too. They are asking for experience but if you have the right attitude they may decide to take a punt on you and train you up on the cranes.

Good luck

Nicholls take on new starts. not sure Firmins need to as a good employer and no great turn over of drivers although they have an inhouse agency that may be able to place you somewhere Morrisons also take on new starts

Try the Oare estate out near Faversham.

Salvetori have got a yard outside of Canterbury, as have Yodel - although that kind of work tends to be via agency. Night trunks.

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far, will get busy with the phone/internet/my feet!

Harrier Express at Oare, Faversham.
GIST at Oare, Faversham.
Parker Steel, Canterbury.

Good luck! Robert

If your willing to do class 2 work theres Thanet Waste and Copart both based near Sandwich, apart from that theres not much else nearby that hasnt already been suggested. East Kent is pretty barren unless your willing to travel.

Oh almost forgot theres Whites Transport based near Manston Airport that are looking for class one drivers.

Gist at Faversham are advertising for drivers on short term contracts at the moment.

robert1952:
Parker Steel, Canterbury.

Good luck! Robert

It is said around here that Parkers will take on absolutely anyone, I think I might be the one exception to that rule! Funny story and I’m not allowed to say too much about it but I worked there for 15 years and after leaving one particular day I didn’t go back again many times. I think it’s because I left in the air ambulance that day that really changed our relationship.
Thanks though!

And again, thanks to everyone that has replied.

Taft international at manston

Give Lenham Storage a shout, pretty sure they will give most people a go.

Wincanton running the Tesco contract at Snodland are taking on. I know it’s a bit of a punch from Whitstable but I believe the money is good. :wink:

Try ontime logistics queenborough

Grayham:
If your willing to do class 2 work theres Thanet Waste and Copart both based near Sandwich, apart from that theres not much else nearby that hasnt already been suggested. East Kent is pretty barren unless your willing to travel.

Oh almost forgot theres Whites Transport based near Manston Airport that are looking for class one drivers.

And our first winner is Grayham, got an assessment drive at Whites after work tomorrow. Thanks mate :smiley:

Les Shoes:
And our first winner is Grayham, got an assessment drive at Whites after work tomorrow. Thanks mate :smiley:

I’ve done a bit for White’s, probably 6 or 7 years ago now, but they were ok to work for and if anything the wages were slightly above average for Thanet.

I don’t know that much about whites but they seem to be getting thru a fair few drivers . They do a fair bit of the running the tunnel walls for cross rail but that ends in the next few months

Let’s hope they’re ok as I’ll be starting for them when I’ve worked my notice! :smiley:

Les Shoes:
Let’s hope they’re ok as I’ll be starting for them when I’ve worked my notice! :smiley:

Well done, Les! :smiley: At least it’s a well-established company - been going for donkey’s years; and that zip up the Thanet Way won’t be too painful between shifts. :wink: Robert

robert1952:

Les Shoes:

Well done, Les! :smiley: At least it’s a well-established company - been going for donkey’s years; and that zip up the Thanet Way won’t be too painful between shifts. :wink: Robert

I’ve had a call from Wincanton today asking me to go along for an interview, think I might have to give it a look.