Job Sucess!

Hi all,well you may remember I posted on here for advice on how to use the Mercedes Actros gearbox,as I was having an assessment drive and interview.Thanks to the advice posted on here,I got on with the Actros ok,and I was offered a job,which I have accepted.

The company is Booker(cash and carry),and I will be on nights running out of the Hatfield depot.They are going to put me through a Forkies licence as well,so that you can tip yourself.Apparently they give you a master key to some of their stores,and you get a £4.60 bonus for each trailer you tip.

Most of the work,I’m told will be running to Avonmouth,or Yeovil,drop and swap trailers,and then a collection across the water in South Wales.Or,it could be down to Weymouth and back,just a thoughtbut is that possible?A couple of drivers who have worked for Booker 5 or 6 years ago,said,‘Oh,you’re not going to work for them are you,I guarantee you will be back here within a couple of months!’.I wondered what they were talking about,but they referred to running bent,and thee long waits to get tipped in some places.Great,I thought,just when I thought I have landed a decent job,somebody comes along and takes off the gloss!

The job is 7:30pm start.You are guaranteed 9 hours a day,making a 45 hour week,at £10.13 per hour.Paid breaks from start to finish,and overtime at time and a half after 45 hours,which you may have done by your 4th working day,so your 5th is then on overtime all day! Sunday to Thursday week,and driving 2002 plated Actroses or fully automatic Volvo FM12 s.What do you think?Does it sound kosher to you?

Cheers,Glenn.

goodluck Glen, as for weymouth and back to hatfield you will do it easy on nights,coming from dorchester till you get to the first roundabout turn right next roundabout turn right you will come to a roundabout with football ground on the right straight over into ind est and just follow the road it takes you to bookers

It could just be sour grapes on their behalf,but at the end of the day,nothing ventured nothing gained.And who gives a stuff if you have to work your maximum hours,you’re getting paid by the hour,and thats all that matters,unlike me,I’m salaried.

As for running bent,well,you don’t do you,because it’s your licence,and as sure as eggs is eggs,if you get caught,they’ll not back you up,no company does,so you know what to do if asked.

I say,good luck to you.

Ken.

Good luck Ken. Hasn’t F.W.Gedney just started a contract with bookers down that way. They’re based in Boston, Lincolnshire.

Thanks again for the quick replies.I did think that it could be sour grapes Quinny,as the blokes at the hub in the West Midlands where I trunk to at the moment said Bookers were no good,but then he worked out of Banbury and not the Hatfield RDC.All the best,
Glenn,

well done glenn and good luck. only you can decide if its any good or not mate. best way to find out is to give it a go :laughing: .

well done mate :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

congrats on the job dont forget most people you talk to in this game are all right but alot have been known to misshandle the truth carelessly lol your the man doing the job if they ask you to do something illegal ask for it on paper

Good luck with it mate, hope it works out.

However, as my years in wagon driving have progressed, I have learnt/found out that the good jobs are never advertised because there’s always someone who knows someone etc to fill the gap should one arise.

In my experience jobs which are being advertised publicly generally[/b] speaking, are being advertised because of one reason or another. Usually in order of :
1) Bad pay to hours required to work in reality ratio.
2) Crap motor.
3) Require you to run bent.
That’s usually why drivers leave and the jobs are advertised.

Well done Glen I hope the Volvos are the new type auto I dont rate the old one so much there is one on a firm I drive for occasionally and it 's left me and everyone else that drives it in the middle of a road junction with no gears several times but the new one is great

The job sounds ok to me, Glen if you like that sort of work… don’t take any notice of people that “used” to work for them!! Go there, work there and then form your own opinion!!!
Hatfield down to Avonmouth…into South Wales and back sounds possible as long as you don’t get held up too much. Don’t forget though, that tipping yourself counts as work time as far as Minstry is concerned and NOT break time

Cheers Guys for the replies.That has cheered me up a bit now.There is always someone around to try and put you on a downer,even when you think you have done ok.I’m glad I can count on Trucknet members too talk sense and give good advice.I will let you know how I progress.Incidentally,how long does it take to do a Forkies Licence?They are paying for it.Thanks,

Glenn, :slight_smile:

Not that long for the fork licence a day or so did mine in the morning and took the test in the afternoon,as for bookers and I mean this with no malice,just keep your wits about you and dont get a mortgage on the back of it,just to add I come from oldham and they took over that depot and banbury as well,and Ive worked for them and del to them ,they`ill want there pound of flesh for the money,good luck.

good luck glen
i used to load out of hatfield as a return load when i worked at wincantons they always seemed ok when i was loading out of their.
but wincantons used to get some stick if drivers did not turn up on time to pick up there load we used to pick up loads for weymouth and south and our night shift used to deliver it tipping was always ok.
hope it works out for you but time wil tell only you can decide

good luck