Job Satisfaction?

Hi all, after browsing this section of the forum quite a bit over the past two weeks something hits me nearly everytime… negative talk about the HGV driving scene in general

It seems like any post I see made by somebody who has been driving for a considerable amount of time only has negative things to say about the job. How long the hours are, how crap the route is, how agencies mess them about

My friend is a 7.5T driver for Listers who own about 50 car dealerships. He enjoys his job quite alot, I was talking to him last night…

Is there anybody on here who enjoys their job ?

ME :smiley:

I absolutley love my job.

Me. Decent money for doing an easy job and I have always enjoyed this line of work ever since I started in 1984 apart from the odd occasion.

You have to remember that moaning about the job is ingrained in this industry and if you listen to the moans and complaints the majority are actually about something and nothing. A lot of drivers tend too let the smallest thing wind them up, so what if you see someone else driving like a ■■■, as long as you aren’t doing it what does it matter and why should it spoil your day.

A guy I worked with recently had a row with the security guard were we collect our trailers from, a row he started over absolutely nothing. The guards there are good guys, helpful, courteous and we never have a problem with them. This other guy spent ages, long after we had collected the trailers and left, ranting and raving about the guard and getting wound up and stressed in the process and as a result every other little thing which didn’t go the way he thought it should added to his bad day. I got fed up in the end and asked him why he had started the row over nothing and why he got so stressed about it. He told me that it’s part of the job to row with security as they are only there make our life difficult and he always rows with them to ‘show them’. Now he is stressed and everything about the job is wrong and he never stops complaining yet he is doing the same job as me and other guys who all think it is an easy, stress free job with no hassle.

Drivers moan about anything, it’s a fact of life and the best thing to do is ignore it.

Coffeholic, what is that “line of work” ?

Coffeeholic:
Me. Decent money for doing an easy job and I have always enjoyed this line of work ever since I started in 1984 apart from the odd occasion.

You have to remember that moaning about the job is ingrained in this industry and if you listen to the moans and complaints the majority are actually about something and nothing. A lot of drivers tend too let the smallest thing wind them up, so what if you see someone else driving like a ■■■, as long as you aren’t doing it what does it matter and why should it spoil your day.

A guy I worked with recently had a row with the security guard were we collect our trailers from, a row he started over absolutely nothing. The guards there are good guys, helpful, courteous and we never have a problem with them. This other guy spent ages, long after we had collected the trailers and left, ranting and raving about the guard and getting wound up and stressed in the process and as a result every other little thing which didn’t go the way he thought it should added to his bad day. I got fed up in the end and asked him why he had started the row over nothing and why he got so stressed about it. He told me that it’s part of the job to row with security as they are only there make our life difficult and he always rows with them to ‘show them’. Now he is stressed and everything about the job is wrong and he never stops complaining yet he is doing the same job as me and other guys who all think it is an easy, stress free job with no hassle.

Drivers moan about anything, it’s a fact of life and the best thing to do is ignore it.

Stop moaning :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing:

Wheel Nut:

Coffeeholic:

Stop moaning :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing:

I figured you would be one of the first to spot the irony. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

keano1:
Coffeholic, what is that “line of work” ?

Driving a truck, delivering things, collecting things.

The vehicles and the type of things have varied quite a lot over the last 26 years between multi dropping round the West End and City of London in a 7.5 tonner to driving a couple of thousand kilometres or more between pick up and delivery in an artic, but it’s all just delivering, collecting and driving and it’s a simple or as stressful as you, the driver, want to make it.

Moaning about any job is the British way! Sadly. Just chill :stuck_out_tongue:

Coffeholic, You certainly put it into perspective and you seem very at ease with the job. A good lesson to all of us. You can make it as easy or hard as you want. Good on ya :smiley:

(Enjoyed your book by the way. A great insight into trucking. It inspired me to take my Class 2 a few years ago and I start Class 1 training in two weeks :open_mouth:)

keano1:
Coffeholic, You certainly put it into perspective and you seem very at ease with the job. A good lesson to all of us. You can make it as easy or hard as you want. Good on ya :smiley:

That’s it exactly, so many drivers make it hard for them self, I don’t see the point in making what is an easy job hard just for the sake of it. Relax, don’t worry and stress about things you can’t affect and the whole job gets even easier.

keano1:
(Enjoyed your book by the way. A great insight into trucking. It inspired me to take my Class 2 a few years ago and I start Class 1 training in two weeks :open_mouth:)

Thank you. Good luck with the Class 1.

Dakota:
Hi all, after browsing this section of the forum quite a bit over the past two weeks something hits me nearly everytime… negative talk about the HGV driving scene in general

It seems like any post I see made by somebody who has been driving for a considerable amount of time only has negative things to say about the job. How long the hours are, how crap the route is, how agencies mess them about

My friend is a 7.5T driver for Listers who own about 50 car dealerships. He enjoys his job quite alot, I was talking to him last night…

Is there anybody on here who enjoys their job ?

Well cuddles you can stand at the pool edge an wonder what the waters like or you can jump in. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I enjoy driving the trucks, I just dont like delivering car parts…

I enjoy driving trucks. I just don’t like delivering anything :exclamation:

i luv my job driving and delivering. i get to play with the big boys toys ( hiab ) :smiley:

/love it :smiley:

All of the above is good to hear and very encouraging …

Whenever I encounter an idiot on the road, which is fairly often I just tell myself, you`ll never see them again so just forget about them!