Job quandary. Manic days. Or new job on permanent night trun

I’m currently tramping and fed up with it, but my current employer has offered me day shift @ £520 banked. But it’s hell for leather and 4-5am start and finished when they say. And it’s 25 mins away. So daily petrol costs.

On the other hand a small local company had offered me permanent nights to a trunk in the West mid,(4.15 away)standard night trunk. It’s 6pm 4-5-6am finish Saturday mornin. £480 banked. And it’s 5mins away.

I’ve never done either of the above and just thought I’d ask for people’s opinions on the matter.

My only wishs are. Min £450 banked and quality time at home.

Each to their own, but I prefer days, even tramping, over nights.

I can’t do nights, it screws with my body clock, screws my weekend up (like early Sunday morning bike rides) and is crap when on holiday.

You can only go as fast and do as much as you can, don’t let it stress you out, just chill

I do permanent nights and I wouldn’t swap for anything , a couple of things to consider is your home life ie do you have kids because once the summer holidays start then your going to be trying to sleep while the kids are at home also your going to need good black out curtains for the summer,

Thanks fellas. Kids grown up now and flown. Also I’m single, that isn’t a come on btw. :laughing:

Days finish when they say, you know that means at least 60 hour weeks, possibly 70 or more if they ‘encourage’ you to fiddle POA and breaks like many companies do.

Mind you, do i read correctly that the night run finishes anytime from 4am to 6am?, if so thats near enough another 60 hour week…maybe try and speak to the lads there and find out what the real finish time is, 4am most of the time and thats not too bad a job, 6am or later would be horrible if regular.

How do you know it’s banked money at the rates quoted, are they paying this on bank hol weeks too, docking you a day (or bonus or OT) or what, same money on hols?..thats just a fewthings i’d check.

If you haven’t done nights before, a 12 hour shift every night is quite heavy going depending on your home situation for peace and quiet…kids at home…apparently not…noisy neighbours, traffic etc.

My nights are 140 hrs a month spred out over 4weeks = 35hrs a week , I’ve done this for the last 11 yrs .

I did a 12 hour trunk every night for 5 months and it was one of the most miserable periods of my life. You say you’re single, so you’ll get about 1 1/2 hour of spare time to yourself in your 12 hours off as the rest of it is eating, sleeping, making meals (can’t live off cereal and microwave meals forever), showering, maybe bits of shopping, making sandwiches and commuting. Then at the weekend you’ll be recovering and wishing it wasn’t going so fast.

Try and get some more info on the job and see if 12 hours is normal. If it’s a 4am finish that would make a lot of difference. However, it sounds as if it could be one of those pallet hubs you’re going to, in which case you may get a few hours sleep during your shift each night. I did one of those trunks for a while and found myself parked in a fairly quiet and dark truck park for 4 hours (10 hour shift). I never found those nights to be overly tiring.

Get more info before you make your mind up.

Main question is… how long are the shifts and are they Mon-Friday or are there weekends involved?

I would personally be more interested in the night position, but if it involved regular Saturday nights and the shifts were regularly 10-15 hours… then i’d take a large swerve and go for the day shift as it’s recipe for a pretty miserable existence I think. 9-10 hour shifts is my limit for night work.

I’ve been doing the day shifts for a couple of months now, I detest it with a passion. The loons on the road, the bellends at my collection point & the team of capt slow lovers at my delivery make the job a misery for me. Im finishing on Friday & go back on nights Monday. Trunking & trailer swaps between Blyth & Scotland. I’ve always preferred nights as I can sleep through anything, get some blackout curtains for the bedroom, that’s not a come on either, it just helps you sleep longer. I like waking up without an alarm clock, getting stuff done during the day that you can’t get done at night, the lack of traffic on the roads. For me it’s all good.