job prospects

I cant seem to work out why there are so many drivers asking about certain companies, whats it like, how much is the pay etc. Why not just phone the company up and ask them what the conditions are, or wait until the interview if there is one, no one in their right mind would ask a stranger, and we are all strangers on here ( mostly ) and i certainly wouldnt trust 3/4 of them for information, no more than i would trust the audience on Millionaire

Tin Hat ready and secured. :laughing:

Well I doubt my previous employer would say “we’re right ■■■■■ to work for who pay meal allowances as part of the wage structure. Oh and cash in hand (eventually) for Saturdays.”

I get what your saying but can be useful to find out abit more about what said company is like from a drivers point of view.

truckyboy:
Why not just phone the company up and ask them

I wonder what the response would be if someone asked a company ‘what are you like to work for’:lol:

truckyboy:
I cant seem to work out why there are so many drivers asking about certain companies, whats it like, how much is the pay etc. Why not just phone the company up and ask them what the conditions are, or wait until the interview if there is one, no one in their right mind would ask a stranger, and we are all strangers on here ( mostly ) and i certainly wouldnt trust 3/4 of them for information, no more than i would trust the audience on Millionaire

Tin Hat ready and secured. :laughing:

I agree,go to the interview and find out youself ,no 2 drivers are the same ,they could work for the same firm ,doing the same work in the same truck ,one will say its a crap firm with crap work and his truck is crap,the other one will love it,everybodys different,make your own mind up :unamused:

The problem with asking the company is that they want to sell you the job, they’ll bum it up as much as possible cos they need bums on seats.

One particular big company i worked for at one time did this for years, the wages for hours they told drivers they would earn was complete bollox, nothing in writing of course it was all bonus based, and the turnover of staff partly due to this was staggering, the really annoying thing about all this was that the personel manager, now retired, was an ex driver who did so much damage they took him off the road and promoted him up, another poacher turned gamekeeper.

The place is still going, massive now, and its still the same.

There’s only one set of terms and condition that count, and that’s those in writing, best of luck getting that from a phone call.

It does annoy me when people ask about the lorries, what the hell does that matter…i remember the ad a few years ago for a local RDC, no mention at all of conditions, the ad said new 4 series Scania truck (grrr its a bloody lorry) and presumably that was enough… :unamused:

The company will tell you whatever they think you want to hear, just to get their truck out on the road. Other drivers may make you aware of potential problems with that company either based on personal experience, or from local industry knowledge. Having more than one perspective has to be a good thing surely?

I have been to interviews where they have (IMHO) wasted my time. I am certain that a multitude of other drivers here have had that same negative experience too.

I went for an interview recently for a job that was on here, I didnt have a clue what motors they run until I saw a couple parked up in the yard, aslong as they are legal and not in the garage every other day that’ll do.
I think its better to try and get some knowledge as to what a firm is like, as many will sell you the job to get the position filled and get that wagon rolling. Although I didnt ask about the place i went for the interview so I am going there totally blind on the decent manner I found the TM to have.

As a new driver, ive asked of a couple companies whether theyre alright to work for etc. Simply because i don’t want to give up my ok paying job for something that wont work out as i cant afford too! And as been said above, a company wont exactly tell you how ■■■■ they are its down to you to figure that out and if that means asking a few others so be it :smiley:

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

Juddian:
It does annoy me when people ask about the lorries, what the hell does that matter…i remember the ad a few years ago for a local RDC, no mention at all of conditions, the ad said new 4 series Scania truck (grrr its a bloody lorry) and presumably that was enough… :unamused:

I remember seeing ads in truck mags a few years ago in the “drivers seeking employment” section; A few basically said “wont drive rubbish…” “no lorries older than 3 years” etc. One driver told me he’d never work at one of my employers because “they only run Fodens.” Just sad.

I had an interview on Monday, less than two minutes into the interview I stopped the interviewer and said “I’m sure you’re a busy man so I will waste no more of your time, the job you are offering isn’t the one I applied for”. He thanked me for my frankness, we shook hands and I left.

Pimpdaddy:

truckyboy:

I wonder what the response would be if someone asked a company ‘what are you like to work for’:lol:

They do! :laughing: it’s called a reference.

jobseeker:

I don’t follow…

Going for interviews can be time consuming & costly too…

jobseeker:

Pimpdaddy:

truckyboy:

A reference is for the company to find out your dark past, no good for a driver asking a company what they’re like. Useful to get the skinny and if they run bent so you can run a mile

I have in the past asked drivers what their company is like to work for, only to be told, theyre fantastic, the best company i have ever worked for, i get paid a £ grand a week, no saturdays, 12 hours a day, no nights out, etc etc, in other words…total ■■■■■■■■, the same as an employer is likely to tell you just to recruit you, so what i have learned is go to the interview, listen to whats being said, and if it suits, start work, if after a month, it turns out to be the worst job since slice bread, just walk away.

If you ask a suit a direct question, you’ll never get a direct answer - not a true one anyway. :frowning:

Don’t you just hate all the wasted time involved in applying for a job, only to find you’ve gotta “pay pit owner to employ uz.”

I collared a driver in a garage once, he worked for a company I fancied trying so I though I’d get some info firsthand. He gave me chapter & verse on the place, how crap it was, how poor the money was, how terrible the vehicles were &, of course, how thick, useless & hard faced the management were. When I asked him how long he worked there he said 14 years!

+1