Job Interview Class 1 Tramper Stobarts Appleton

Hi guys,

Just passed my Class 1 last thursday and i’ve got an interview at the Stobart Appleton Depot tomorrow. Bit nervous, anyone got any advise for the interview?

Done all my training through their accademy which was a great experience so got everything crossed for a career with them.

NO negative comments please.

Thanks

Ben

Just like to wish you good luck mate.That first job is just about getting the experience under your belt.I’m thinking of trying Stobarts in Stoke.

Be prepared to do things the Stobbies way and nothing but. Other than that, they are just like any other large company. You’re just a number but if you keep your head down and work hard then its abroad the (semi) gravy train.

Do you live local to the Warrington area bj?

Remember safety boots hi viz don’t go dressed up like a dogs dinner just smart, unit will already be hooked up to trailer so won’t be dropping or picking it up, will probably just sit you in unit and ask you to talk out a walk around inspection which is more difficult than a walk around one as having to remember all points, then out for a drive nice and smooth and legal no speeding remember they like cruise control to be used or at least activated very early on, then when back into yard a reverse park DONT leave yourself a blindside reverse there’s plenty of room there to spin around to go in on right side, then if all good will go for a chat with opps manager then jobs your best of luck.
Ps depending on year of unit the new Scania have no clutch pedal as now fully auto

Well done buddy.

Can I ask (I have a mate considering it) stobarts do your medical and theory tests or do you do that prior to applying for their training centre.

Well done.
Seeing as you have gone through their “academy” it sounds like you would have to turn up either smelling of drink or with the wrong attitude to NOT get a job!

Ultimately though what every haulage firms want are yes men whoops sorry being cynical their lol what they want is flexibility(can do attitude), reliability (turns up everyday and not always going sick) and possess half a brain ( rings office when he should etc).

A company like stobarts will likely ease newbies in to their jobs, perhaps give you an experienced driver as a mentor and introduce you to it all with easy local runs.

Try and enjoy it and most importantly take care out there, it is a dangerous profession.

Am I right in thinking, for there academy its three full weeks about 9am to 4pm, if I’m right in thinking that, its near impossible to do if you are still in a full time job, because your not guaranteed to get on at this stage.
A bit pricey around 2.4k but could imagine training to be good & at the end of it if you are took on by them your not thrown in the deep end with no experience.

Good Luck Dude :sunglasses:

Update

Thank you all for the support. Interview went well as far as I could tell. Usual questions, no pressure. Went through what they expect, rates of pay and lots of other information. I skipped the assessment drive as I’ve been through the academy they have seen enough of me driving. Should find out in a few days.

A couple of you have asked about the academy, it’s £2400 Inc’s 1 week theory training, test fees, initial Cpc, 1 week Cat C + test, 1 week Cat C+E and test… If you need a retest day it’s about £210

Update

Great news, got the stobart job. Just accepted a position at the Stobart Hartlebury depot Mon-Fri tramping. Closer to me than Appleton so that’s a bonus. Induction starts on the 29th June.

Thank you to all the trainers and the trucking veterans for all your help and advise, keep up the good work.

:smiley:

Well done to you! The first rung on the ladder is always going to be the most difficult, but you’ve got every chance now of cracking the infamous two year experience rule. All you need to do is keep your nose clean, do a good job, and in a couple of years the market will open up for you.

I’m curious, though, with all the comments about Stobarts wanting things done “their way”. In what ways is this haulage firm so different to all the others? They drive trucks around under the same regulations as the rest of us, so why are they always singled out as unusual or non-standard?

Thank you for the comment ORC. unfortunately I don’t really have an answer for your question. Their way is the only way I know at the moment. Maybe I will have more of an idea I’m a few months time.

All I know is I’m extremely grateful for the opportunity and I’m looking forward to getting started.

:slight_smile:

The stobart ways are things like tooking straps in on trailer, having no clutter in window etc, etc. Their ok to work for, I had 16 years, left last Xmas. Good luck mate.

Good luck mate! Hope it works out for you

They are hot on appearance of their trucks, trailers and drivers. Cabs must be washed on a regular basis, any damage must be reported ASAP, the uniform your given must be clean and you presentable. Say what you want about Stobarts but their trucks always look smart.

bj86uk:
Update

Great news, got the stobart job. Just accepted a position at the Stobart Hartlebury depot Mon-Fri tramping. Closer to me than Appleton so that’s a bonus. Induction starts on the 29th June.

Thank you to all the trainers and the trucking veterans for all your help and advise, keep up the good work.

:smiley:

Great news on the job, whats the pay like and how was the interview what type of things did they ask you ect?