Job Hunt

Hi All,
This is my first post on this site and I would like to say that I have found it a great source of information.
My problem is I live in Hastings on the south coast and its a complete void as far as the transport industry is concerned.
I passed my class 1 in Nov 2004 and have hit the usual wall ie 2 yrs exp. I have managed a little work from a couple of agencies but nothing for a week now. So drastic decisions in my household. Do we move to where the work is. I have been told that there is plenty of work in the Magna Park area and home rentals are reasonable in the Leicester area, have looked on web sites and seen 3 bed houses for £500 per month. Question, Do we upsticks and go for it, I would be most gratefull for any comments and thoughts on this. As a guide I have a fair bit of experience in Coach driving (UK & Europe) and had class 2 for about 5 years.

Welcome to TRUCKNET UK Bamboo,

Magna Park certainly has a lot of company’s with driving jobs based there. The advantage of it is that you don’t just have to look to Leicester for a place to live; it is reasonable distance to a few other places you could look at.

Bear in mind if you look for somewhere a bit south of Magna Park, you are also getting down towards MI J18 and DIRFT where there are also quite a few of the same type of companies.

As for ‘up sticks and move’■■ It’s got to be your decision as it can affect the family in a variety of ways. I usually end up moving every 2 to 3 years with my job and I would say the wife and kids are getting used to it. I have been here for nearly 4 years now and I think this will be one of our hardest moves due to how long we’ve been here.

Hi Bamboo and Welcome to TrucknetUK. It’s a hard one and at the end of the day, only a desicion you can make. Personally I’d move to a full time job rather than trying to pick up agency work (says he on agency :unamused:). At the end of the day it’s your desicion :wink:. You also have PM.

Welcome to Trucknet 2

I work with someone who lives at Lutterworth. He refuses to work at Magna Park, and he has told us that none of the locals work there as drivers. :confused:

That seems to send out warning signs. I know he meant ASDA but if he is willing to travel 50 miles when there are jobs on his doorstep. I begin to wonder why :arrow_right:

welcome to trucknet m8,is there no jobs driving coaches down where you r now :question: it seems a bit drastic to up roots and move just to drive a truck :bulb: especially when so many might rap it come march this year due to the working time directive. ( wtd ) the money is bad at the moment for some drivers,but when the wtd comes in it will get worse,so i would hold fire on moving any where just now m8.good luck :wink:

Hi Bamboo and Welcome to TrucknetUK.
Good luck with what ever you choose to do :smiley: .

…Very kind of those of you who responded. I now have the wheels in motion, found a 3 bed semi for £500 per mth and move to Leicester on Monday. I have been in touch with a couple of agencies and have already had offers of work. Hope this is the right, decision, too late now. Will keep you posted as soon as BT do their bit.
Cheers! :slight_smile:

bamboo2u:
…Very kind of those of you who responded. I now have the wheels in motion, found a 3 bed semi for £500 per mth and move to Leicester on Monday. I have been in touch with a couple of agencies and have already had offers of work. Hope this is the right, decision, too late now. Will keep you posted as soon as BT do their bit.
Cheers! :slight_smile:

hey bamboo where abouts in leicester are you moving too?? im from leicester m8 so if you need to know owt just ask :smiley:

shaun

If you are looking to drive HGV’s then moving to the Northampton, Liecester area is probally a good idea. If fact from what I’ve heard about Hastings they have a big problem getting any work down there because the roads are so bad, which I suppose also makes it difficult to commute.

Well the deed is done, I have just got the internet back on so I can let you know that I have joined ADM at Hincley and they have placed me in Arla (Express Dairies) at Ashby, I have been getting £10.00 per hour and have so far worked 6 days with a promise of as much work there as poss.
I think I have done the right thing and we are pretty much unpacked in the new house although there are the usual problems like leaky pipes and dead power points. Plus I went down to Hastings to collect my son to stay for half-term and hit a bird on the A14 on the way home, shattered my winscreen so lost a day today waiting for the windscreen people to come this pm to fit new one.
Well thats it for now
Cheers all. :smiley:

Well done on finding some work bamboo2u and I
hope everything turns out ok for you and all the best
for the future :smiley: .

Pleased it’s worked out. If you want, give me a shout, I’m only just down the road (halfway between Loughborough and Leicester).

Cheers

Ian.