BLACKBURN BB1
Duration

Temporary
Date posted

04 May 2012
Pension details

No details held
Description

We are currently recruiting for a Class CE driver for the Blackburn area. Experience not essential however, You must hold the above class of licence and no more than 6 minor penalty points. WEEKEND’s ONLY. A fantastic opportunity for a newly passed class CE Driver to gain valuable experience. This is a rare opportunity duties include yard and depot to depot shunting. Full assessment will be given. You must be flexible and be able to work 12 hour shifts on a saturdaysundaybank holidays.
How to apply

You can apply for this job by telephoning 01942 610888 and asking for Amy Townsend.
Employer

Top Gear Recruitment

Weekend work for Monday money…tossers!

Still a start

I’m inclined to agree, I would rather earn more than that but the concept of weekends being paid at a premium is finished now, not just in transport but everywhere. If you are young and don’t have weekend obligations such as children, then £85-90, while not fantastic, is far from the worst wage you will see for a 12 hour shift. If a newbie asked me personally for my advice, I would say that it would be worth chatting to them at the very least.

It’s a ■■■■■■■ scumbag agency FFS!

I agree with 44 Tonne Ton, this is an agency seeing how far they can push things, £7.50 per hour for weekends and bank holidays is taking the ■■■■.

Having said that I imagine there will be new drivers willing to do it for the experience and I can’t really blame then if I’m honest :frowning:

But still, I’m willing to take pretty much any driving work at the moment just to get the experience. If I had CE, lived local to that job and was in same position as I am now I’d certainly have a word with them.
I think for newbies pay shouldn’t be an issue. I know agencies are scum. I’m with one at the moment but it’s still all experience, which is what employers appear to be looking for.

I semi-agree. Agencies are- in general- scum. However, from the way it is being advertised, it does look like a job which actually exists.

I’m in two minds about it. As many know, my application for an Operator’s Licence is going through at the moment, I’ve always said I would be prepared to give a newbie a start, my truck would only be there for them to drive at the weekends when I was on my 45 hour break, and I doubt I would be able to pay them the £160 a shift which was achievable five years ago.

My maths are based on the truck being parked at base over the weekend, but if I offered a weekend’s work to a newbie at £85-£90 a day would I be “ripping them off”?

Harry Monk:
I semi-agree. Agencies are- in general- scum. However, from the way it is being advertised, it does look like a job which actually exists.

I’m in two minds about it. As many know, my application for an Operator’s Licence is going through at the moment, I’ve always said I would be prepared to give a newbie a start, my truck would only be there for them to drive at the weekends when I was on my 45 hour break, and I doubt I would be able to pay them the £160 a shift which was achievable five years ago.

My maths are based on the truck being parked at base over the weekend, but if I offered a weekend’s work to a newbie at £85-£90 a day would I be “ripping them off”?

Sounds Cool to me Harry :sunglasses: :sunglasses: When we starting ! :smiley:

bandit12:
Sounds Cool to me Harry :sunglasses: :sunglasses: When we starting ! :smiley:

I’m hoping to be on the road at the end of this month, VOSA willing.

My tale is told in far more detail on the Owner-drivers forum, but basically I’m planning to put an 08/58 reg Volvo on the road at the end of this month, which I will drive myself. There might be the opportunity for me to get someone to do fill-in jobs at the weekend, shunting, loading trailers at a local factory, delivering the odd load to a supermarket RDC etc.

I’ve said before that I would be willing to take a newly-passed driver on myself and take the chances associated with that, simply because I remember what it was like starting out myself. I couldn’t possibly pay the kind of wages we were earning for weekend work ten years ago, if I could earn that kind of money as an employee then I wouldn’t be going through all of the hassle of getting an Operator’s Licence and putting a truck on the road!

I couldn’t pay a fantastic wage, but I would sooner park the truck up than pay an embarrassing wage. I’ll be based in Faversham, Kent. I’ll let you know if any weekend work is available. Meanwhile, anyone in the area would always be welcome to pop down on a Saturday morning just for a chat.

If the work doesn’t pay enough to give a driver a proper wage it’s not worth doing and it only encourages the rate cutters when they see that they can actually get the work done for ■■■■ rates.

44 Tonne Ton:
If the work doesn’t pay enough to give a driver a proper wage it’s not worth doing and it only encourages the rate cutters when they see that they can actually get the work done for [zb] rates.

Well, like I said, the maths are worked out on me being able to park the truck up at the weekend so I’m quite happy to do that.

Harry Monk:
I’ve said before that I would be willing to take a newly-passed driver on myself and take the chances associated with that, simply because I remember what it was like starting out myself. I couldn’t possibly pay the kind of wages we were earning for weekend work ten years ago, if I could earn that kind of money as an employee then I wouldn’t be going through all of the hassle of getting an Operator’s Licence and putting a truck on the road!

Without sounding patronising - which is NOT my intention - it makes a refreshing change to read this.
Harry, more power to your elbow - I hope it works well for you.
(I would apply but the Sun Inn charges about £70 a night these days - plus the parking charges out the back :slight_smile: )

Harry Monk:

If you’re talking about £90 for shifts of over 9 hours I’d say it’s ■■■■ poor pay for Sunday work.

I can understand why people would pay new drivers a little less than the norm but there’s a difference between giving someone a helping hand and slashing rates to an all time low on the pretext that they’re giving a new driver a helping hand.

If a job needs doing it will be done by one company or another, and personally I’d rather see the work go to companies that pay proper rates for the job.

Yes, I do see your point, I probably will just park it at the weekend, which was Plan A.