Job Advice: Crane Hire (Notts.)

Hi everyone, I have just passed my CPCS mobile crane test and I’m looking for a new job as I wanted a change from driving.

Thought it might be difficult to get my foot in the door but I’ve been job hunting for less than 48 hours and it seems to be going a lot better than expected. I realise this is not exactly HGV related but is there anyone in the know on here who can tell me which companies in Notts. are good to work for and who may need a wide berth??

McGovern’s, Raymond’s, Allsop’s and Walker’s (Tuxford) are all close by and I guess you’ll always end up with mixed reports about any firm in any industry but is there anyone I should avoid like the plague in these parts?

Not really interested in Ainscough or one of the other big players at this stage who may send you all over the country at the drop of a hat with the possibility of living in the back of a Transit van. Money is probably better with them but I’d like a reasonably local job to begin with.

Don’t mind travelling a little bit for something decent and thought of Quinto in Leicester or Peterborough or maybe BJW cranes in Scunthorpe but the closer to Nottingham the better.

Thanks in any case.

Mc governs are a good company walkers I’ve heard ain’t to bad but they will all travel the cranes if the money’s right see one of mc governs in pinewood studios London last week

Hi. Quinto cranes have had massive investment recently. Covering Midlands and East of England from your closest depots Leicester & Peterborough. www.quinto.co.uk

Like any job some days are long, some short. It’s getting the balance right! Quinto’s aim for a one operator - one crane policy so you usually have a dedicated machine as you would a truck in some companies, however needs of the business come first and swaps do happen when required.

I should declare I work for Quinto at the Norwich depot. The last crane operator to leave us retired after 38 years with the company, that’s through the recent takeover and changes so it can’t be all bad.

Interested? email HR@quinto.co.uk with your CV. Apologies to site admin but this isn’t an advert, just an honest reply to assist.

Cheers, Dan

cant talk as an employee, but Quinto- we had a machine break down in a narrow part of Colchester high street on a Sunday night, the penalties for going over time were high… I called the boss and got his credit card details then called an old friend of mine who owns a crane firm on Teesside - he got me the home telephone number for the MD of Quinto, I knew the machine was about 28 tonne and paced out how far the crane would have to reach and lift the broken machine out the way and guessed we would need at least a 250 tonner for where he could set up ( was a fair way away).

within the hour we had 3 Quinto guys on site- they already had a 250 tonner crane en route, by the time it turned up they had the plans for the mats, the radius and all swings mapped out. even worked for us the low loader route to transport the knackered machine out past the crane. Now I have worked for some crane firms, Sarens, Baldwins, and Quinto are up there with the best

Always been an industry I’ve been interested in, my granddad used to be a crane operator a fair few years ago would be nice to follow in his footsteps so to speak, seen the big companies advertising for trainee operators, might bell them up one day, not sure what the mrs would think to me being away alot more though.

Hewden, Bedford …

Thanks for the replies.

I have actually sent my CV to Quinto a couple of times in the past and also rang them before Xmas to enquire if I could pay to do the course at their site in Norwich because although I’m from Nottingham my family originally hail from Norfolk so I could have stayed with a relative over there. Unfortunately I never heard anything back from them and didn’t pursue it any further.

Thought about trying again but I won’t know for sure until next week if I can return to Norway in mid-August to work on a wind farm project with Nordic Crane (have got Norwegian hiab and mobile crane tickets already) and wouldn’t want to waste anyone’s time until I get a concrete answer next Wed./Thur.

That’s why I’ve been in touch with a few of the smaller local firms and after explaining my situation they still seem quite keen on me even though I can’t commit to a long term contract yet.

Head says ■■■■ Norway, just stay in the UK and get a good job here with a reputable company and work your way up the ladder. Heart says, I’ve worked way too hard to learn the language and build up a list of contacts over there to give up on it and eventually it might lead you into something else like working offshore. Plus I do love it there and the wages aren’t bad either. I have lived in many countries in the past and so far no woman on the planet is mad enough to put up with me so I have got absolutely no ties and can relocate for the right job.

I’m very open minded about the situation right now and figured it’s better to just wait a few more days, weigh up my options and make sure I get it right.