JLR making the Jaguar brand all electric

JLR are retraining 29000 of their staff globally over the next three years to work on EV’s, It must be a huge disruption to skilled engineers/mechanics who have been working on ICE vehicles for decades. todaynewspost.com/auto-news/…-for-ev-world/

Jaguar are heavily involved with Britishvolt giga battery factory which seem to be in danger of collapsing at present, I wonder if TATA motors will take it on?
Another big hitter VW have just announced that they’re going electric only earlier than planned too. europe.autonews.com/automakers/ … urope-2033

lancpudn:
Jaguar are heavily involved with Britishvolt giga battery factory which seem to be in danger of collapsing at present, I wonder if TATA motors will take it on?
Another big hitter VW have just announced that they’re going electric only earlier than planned too. europe.autonews.com/automakers/ … urope-2033

Britishvolt want £200m aid according to Autocar.
autocar.co.uk/car-news/busi … -christmas

Franglais:

lancpudn:

WoW! It’s not really a great amount of money in the grand scheme of things & as battery production is the new gold dust I’ll be surprised if it collapses. Yesterday saw a big announcement for the EU/UK regarding transport!.

The EU’s ‘Fit for 55’ plan meaning 55% less emissions than today by 2030 for new cars was ratified yesterday too, It got pushed out to 2033 for the EU instead of 2030. The unprecedented lobbying by legacy automakers managed to get a three year reprieve, After 2035 ICE cars wont be able to register to drive on public roads.
europe.autonews.com/environment … o-headline

lancpudn:

Franglais:

lancpudn:

WoW! It’s not really a great amount of money in the grand scheme of things & as battery production is the new gold dust I’ll be surprised if it collapses. Yesterday saw a big announcement for the EU/UK regarding transport!.

The EU’s ‘Fit for 55’ plan meaning 55% less emissions than today by 2030 for new cars was ratified yesterday too, It got pushed out to 2033 for the EU instead of 2030. The unprecedented lobbying by legacy automakers managed to get a three year reprieve, After 2035 ICE cars wont be able to register to drive on public roads.

£200m as an investment in a growing industry, and to secure hundreds of jobs?
Well worth it.
£200m to chuck at a badly run company, paying out but taking tax-payer cash/
A waste.

I dont know which it is. I hope its the former.

Franglais:

lancpudn:

Franglais:

lancpudn:

Well worth it.
A waste.

Yes I hope it’s the former too for the UK to get a slice of the pie.
The ‘Havana effect’ has already been mentioned in the corridors of power wherein after 2035 the streets might become full of old/classic/vintage cars because new electric cars are either not available or not affordable to the masses. :open_mouth:

There are already proposals mentioned for individual governments to apply taxation according to the ‘polluters pay’ principle on older cars ahead of that time scale. :open_mouth:

lancpudn:
There are already proposals mentioned for individual governments to apply taxation according to the ‘polluters pay’ principle on older cars ahead of that time scale.

“The polluter pays” is quite well known, and probably accpeptable to many people.
Except when applied to my holiday jet of course!

Franglais:
Well worth it.
A waste.

The truth is an inferior, unwanted, and unaffordable technology that’s only benefit would be to China’s regime.
Everyone knows that few will want to buy it the demand for the reducing supply of ICE vehicles will increase.Nothing will change in the justified customer resistance to EVs.
Something will have to give.
Good luck with trying to force the change by removal of choice which is clearly what is intended.

What we’re forgetting is that the plans for the general unwashed, us, arn’t supposed to be converting from our death ICE machines to battery cars, we’re supposed to be going back to our rightful place, on a push bike or the bus, shivering in our freezing hovels on some form of basic income, which itself is more about making the proles beholden and subservient to the state than any philanthropical motives.

Anyone with any sense is doing all they can to make their current ICE vehicles last as long as possible, the quandry is going to be what ICE vehicle do you buy as 2030 gets nearer, of what type and up to what manufacture date (assuming used), to try and keep a normal car going for as long as possible after the cut off dates, assuming they stay the same.

What the govt of the day have planned to force/price us luddites out of our wrong choice cars is the $64thou question.

Juddian:
What we’re forgetting is that the plans for the general unwashed, us, arn’t supposed to be converting from our death ICE machines to battery cars, we’re supposed to be going back to our rightful place, on a push bike or the bus, shivering in our freezing hovels on some form of basic income, which itself is more about making the proles beholden and subservient to the state than any philanthropical motives.

Anyone with any sense is doing all they can to make their current ICE vehicles last as long as possible, the quandry is going to be what ICE vehicle do you buy as 2030 gets nearer, of what type and up to what manufacture date (assuming used), to try and keep a normal car going for as long as possible after the cut off dates, assuming they stay the same.

What the govt of the day have planned to force/price us luddites out of our wrong choice cars is the $64thou question.

^ Ironically a Range Rover Sport SVR V8 would probably be a better investment than a Tesla if only I had the spare cash.

^^^ was thinking something somewhat more reliable long term than JLR’s products, ie made in Japan.

Juddian:
, the quandry is going to be what ICE vehicle do you buy as 2030 gets nearer, of what type and up to what manufacture date (assuming used), to try and keep a normal car going for as long as possible after the cut off dates, assuming they stay the same.

I believe that date was something like July this year? When mandatory speed limiting tech was introduced on all new cars.

I’m still confused by it though, top gear last night reviewed a 219 mph limited car without mentioning it! Great entertainment, but not very informative.

Our government aren’t too concerned about where a vast majority of drivers will charge their EV’s, They want as many people out of private cars & onto public transport as they can anyway so it will be a case of killing two birds with one stone as far as they’re concerned.
They’re spending £billions on new public transport infrastructure over this decade, new electric buses & more services at reduced prices.

Due to the upcoming Euro7 emission standards 75% of buses will have to be e-buses by 2030-5. London already has the biggest e-bus fleet in Europe. euractiv.com/section/electr … trol-cars/
My area (Bolton Wigan) will be the first outside of London to get a fleet of 50 new electric buses next year, BYD chassis & batteries & Dennis building the coachwork. Our bus prices are already capped at £2 adult, £1 child fares per journey across the whole of greater Manchester. :open_mouth:

^^^^ so far.

Like electricity charges like fuel taxes like ved costs, many things are cheap until there’s a captive market when stark reality arrives.

Oh heck! Trouble at mill!!! JLR CEO Thierry Bollore resigned today.

lancpudn:
Oh heck! Trouble at mill!!! JLR CEO Thierry Bollore resigned today.

Obviously came to the conclusion that JLRs core market doesn’t want to spend a JLR price on a 4 cylinder hybrid let alone an EV.

More good news for the Ford Halewood workforce, Ford are to invest a further $180million in the Halewood plant to make 70% of EV power trains for Fords European models. techtimes.com/articles/2842 … an-evs.htm

Most of the car manufacturers seem to be striving for this self driving malarkey, “Jaguar are opening three new engineering hubs in Europe to develop autonomous vehicle technologies as part of its partnership with Silicon Valley artificial intelligence company Nvidia”.
“The hubs in Munich, Bologna and Madrid will develop self-driving systems for JLR’s next generation of luxury vehicles. JLR already has six global tech hubs in the U.S., China and Europe.” europe.autonews.com/automakers/ … o-headline

lancpudn:
Most of the car manufacturers seem to be striving for this self driving malarkey, “Jaguar are opening three new engineering hubs in Europe to develop autonomous vehicle technologies as part of its partnership with Silicon Valley artificial intelligence company Nvidia”.
“The hubs in Munich, Bologna and Madrid will develop self-driving systems for JLR’s next generation of luxury vehicles. JLR already has six global tech hubs in the U.S., China and Europe.” europe.autonews.com/automakers/ … o-headline

Translates as our control freak Communist ‘trading partners’ predictably want to take away the freedom and enjoyment of driving anything anywhere.Which sort of defeats the object of buying a Jaguar worthy of the name.
Meanwhile there is no shortage of customers buying or at least aspiring to the V8 Range Rover Sport or V8 F Pace SVR for the enjoyment of driving.

adam277:
Good I guess. I dunno how Jaguar Land Rover struggle though. They sell very simple yet rugged Land rovers that can not cost that much to make yet charge a fortune for them and they seem to be hugely popular.

Land Rovers ‘simple yet rugged’? Are you somehow talking to us from 1975?