JLR making the Jaguar brand all electric

switchlogic:

adam277:
Good I guess. I dunno how Jaguar Land Rover struggle though. They sell very simple yet rugged Land rovers that can not cost that much to make yet charge a fortune for them and they seem to be hugely popular.

Land Rovers ‘simple yet rugged’? Are you somehow talking to us from 1975?

Ironically that is a fair comment regarding the used/classic market even into the 21st century.Let me know if you can find a manual V8 3.9 - 4.6 Discovery with 1 year MOT for around £2k.
Bonus points for a Range Rover same spec.
The reality is closer to £15k, if not a lot more, than 2k.
Which explains how JLR actually has a dedicated approved ‘classic’ dealership at Coventry which is very interesting to look around.

Carryfast:

switchlogic:

adam277:
Good I guess. I dunno how Jaguar Land Rover struggle though. They sell very simple yet rugged Land rovers that can not cost that much to make yet charge a fortune for them and they seem to be hugely popular.

Land Rovers ‘simple yet rugged’? Are you somehow talking to us from 1975?

Ironically that is a fair comment regarding the used/classic market even into the 21st century.Let me know if you can find a manual V8 3.9 - 4.6 Discovery with 1 year MOT for around £2k.
Bonus points for a Range Rover same spec.
The reality is closer to £15k, if not a lot more, than 2k.
Which explains how JLR actually has a dedicated approved ‘classic’ dealership at Coventry which is very interesting to look around.

:unamused: Got to admire your determination to disagree with me on absolutely everything

It’ll probably blow Carry’s mind that I’ve owned two V8 Range Rovers in my time. My first car was a Fiat Panda, my second and third were Range Rovers. They made the commute to London from West Wales for work somewhat expensive, esp with way I used to drive them. My brother has owned 2 Series 2a’s and my Dad several and currently owns a Series one he’s had decades (it’s been much fiddled with over years, mostly when they could be bought for pennies so isn’t in normal Series 1 territory value wise). We are a Land Rover family. Tho I don’t have much interest in them anymore, cars at all in fact. Over time trucks and coaches filled all the space in my mind

switchlogic:
:unamused: Got to admire your determination to disagree with me on absolutely everything

I was actually agreeing with Adam 22, just for different reasons.
Not disagreeing with you.
Just about all modern cars are prohibitively complicated, especially the premium sector, which equally ironically mostly explains the strength of the classic market.
If not buyers wanting the watertight warranties found in the approved nearly new market.
Pushrod engine with manual transmission all bets are off sellers are naming their own prices regardless of ULEZ etc.

switchlogic:
It’ll probably blow Carry’s mind that I’ve owned two V8 Range Rovers in my time. My first car was a Fiat Panda, my second and third were Range Rovers. They made the commute to London from West Wales for work somewhat expensive, esp with way I used to drive them. My brother has owned 2 Series 2a’s and my Dad several and currently owns a Series one he’s had decades (it’s been much fiddled with over years, mostly when they could be bought for pennies so isn’t in normal Series 1 territory value wise). We are a Land Rover family. Tho I don’t have much interest in them anymore, cars at all in fact. Over time trucks and coaches filled all the space in my mind

I enjoyed driving trucks but at the end of the day only to earn the money for my car hobby at home.
Now I’m earning the money driving cars for a living.
However driving Range Rovers etc for a living has changed my view to the point where I now actually prefer the driving position and the space combined with the epic acceleration of the supercharged JLR V8’s in something like an F Pace or Range Rover Sport SVR than my previous penchant for quick saloon cars.So I get the demand for quick SUV’s.But which leaves the affordability problem.
As I said a 4.6 Rover V8 powered, manual transmission, Range Rover or Disco seem like a good compromise but they ain’t cheap to buy obviously for that reason.

Basically it comes down to the question of whether Europe’s premium car makers want to commit commercial suicide or fight.
ft.com/content/c763c4f2-1f1a … 6af4f6f5be

hydrogen-central.com/hydrogen-c … g-hotcars/

Wonders never cease & there may be light at the end of the tunnel yet for the UK to benefit from a battery gigafactory.
“Tata, JLR’s owner, is expected to announce next week that it has chosen a site off the M5 in Bridgewater, Somerset, to host the electric vehicle (EV) battery plant.” fleetnews.co.uk/news/latest … afactories

lancpudn:
Wonders never cease & there may be light at the end of the tunnel yet for the UK to benefit from a battery gigafactory.
“Tata, JLR’s owner, is expected to announce next week that it has chosen a site off the M5 in Bridgewater, Somerset, to host the electric vehicle (EV) battery plant.” fleetnews.co.uk/news/latest … afactories

Potential cost of £ 1 billion, as much as £ 500 million tax funding. What could possibly go wrong ?
Need only look at the Tata handout history and the Britvolt screw up.

OwenMoney:

lancpudn:

Potential cost of £ 1 billion, as much as £ 500 million tax funding. What could possibly go wrong ?

Yes that Britishvolt saga was a complete mess from start to finish, The trade deal that ends on the 31st December 2023 regarding ‘Rules of Origin’ means Trading electric vehicles & car parts with the EU will need to have 45% of their parts sourced from either regions. The UK at present sources many parts from Asia which will not meet the threshold & incur a 10% tariff. theweek.co.uk/business/9609 … or-a-crash

lancpudn:

OwenMoney:

lancpudn:

Yes that Britishvolt saga was a complete mess from start to finish, The trade deal that ends on the 31st December 2023 regarding ‘Rules of Origin’ means Trading electric vehicles & car parts with the EU will need to have 45% of their parts sourced from either regions. The UK at present sources many parts from Asia which will not meet the threshold & incur a 10% tariff. theweek.co.uk/business/9609 … or-a-crash

Northern France is pulling in huge investment for battery factories, second to China apparently. The latest company chose the location as near the Renault factory in Douai, where the electric cars are made, and the proximity of Dunkirk for supplies in, and finished product out.
Also of course for the German manufacturers.
Tesla rejected the Bridgewater site already. Tata are going to be wanting tax payers help all the time, just like with their steel plants.
9,000 jobs ? Where are the skilled people, and where are they going to live ?

OwenMoney:

lancpudn:

OwenMoney:

lancpudn:

Northern France is pulling in huge investment for battery factories, second to China apparently. The latest company chose the location as near the Renault factory in Douai, where the electric cars are made, and the proximity of Dunkirk for supplies in, and finished product out.
Also of course for the German manufacturers.
Tesla rejected the Bridgewater site already. Tata are going to be wanting tax payers help all the time, just like with their steel plants.
9,000 jobs ? Where are the skilled people, and where are they going to live ?

The BritishVolt www says they reckoned on 3,000 jobs?
Maybe the 9,000 is plant plus auxillary support?
Or construction? Or ■■

theguardian.com/business/20 … igafactory. Onwards and upwards before Tata even sign and Hunt signs a blank cheque.
Also…the Freight Carbon Zero website is interesting

Oh 'eck! Every Jaguar i-pace BEV made has been recalled because of battery pack fires, eleven in all, The pack is made by LG Chem who made the battery packs for the GM Bolt which were recalled because of fires with brand new packs being replaced free of charge & another eight years warranty on them, It must have cost LG Chem a fortune as three years on the replacement of new battery packs is still ongoing for the GM Bolt. :open_mouth: electrek.co/2023/06/02/jaguar-r … fire-risk/

Some good news for jobs at last, TaTa group has decided to pick the UK instead of Spain to build JLR, Land Rover EV battery plant.
“Homegrown battery production will also help British automakers comply with post-Brexit trade rules that will require them to source more electric vehicle components locally to avoid tariffs on UK-EU trade from 2024.” europe.autonews.com/automakers/ … o-readmore

The UK had to grease the palm of Tata group with £500million to counter the USA’s Inflation reduction act to get the EV battery plant built somewhere in Somerset. europe.autonews.com/automakers/ … 3-readmore

The town of Bridgwater was always known for the stink from the factory which made plastic, the site where the new battery factory will be.

There’s a 20-year-old young lass driving the new 70 ton Scania logging outfit.