JJ John Jenkinson R.I.P

It is with great sadness that I have to report that my long time friend JJ, John Jenkinson, mentioned in many threads on this site, passed away in the early hours of last Thursday morning (28th August). He was 76 and had been in a hospice for quite a while. He was a long surviving Harefield Hospital heart transplant patient having had the operation in 1990 or 91.

As a teenager JJ was in the Merchant Navy for a couple of years and when he left he took up driving. He worked for Pritchett Brothers in Brentford, Express Dairy Milk Tankers, Waitrose Supermarkets (where JJ and I first met in about 1968), Lyons Maid/Eskimo Frozen Foods and then in the early to mid 70s he moved to Dorset for a short time and drove a tipper. At the time he returned to live in West London I was driving for Landa Express Freight Carriers and they were looking for 10 drivers to take 10 artics down to the Middle East and fly home. JJ got one of those jobs (and the ME driving bug) and continued doing mostly Middle East, with the exception of a short stint on low loader work to Italy for Plant & Engineering in Colnbrook, and on fridge work for MJ Swallows Transport from Buckinghamshire.

His Middle East work was mostly for PIE, Essex Transport, Pan Express and probably a run here and there for other outfits. I seem to remember him driving for Whittles from the North West for a while too, but I may be wrong there. JJ had a reputation for personalizing his trucks and that became his trademark. He would spend hours cleaning and tidying up his rig and fitting extra lights etc. I’m told he also had a bit of a reputation of being a good trailer chef although I never actually tasted his wares. During his time in the hospice I’m proud to say he had many visits, and phone calls from those living further afield, from ex work colleagues (especially from Pan Express), which I know pleased him no end. It’s good to know that there’s still a strong support network amongst drivers.

After recuperating from his heart transplant JJ did voluntary car driving for the ambulance service and he made lots of friends, both from his clients and his volunteer driver colleagues. Although not quite the same excitement that he got from Trucking, he was still out on the road and still got the same pleasures from personalising his cars as he was renowned for with his trucks, and also this gave him time to spend with his beloved cats Sasha, Harry and George. I think he volunteered for about 12 years or so, and, as with his trucking friends, had many visits to the hospice from his Ambulance Service colleagues.
I’d like to give a special thanks to his good friends Helen, Melanie and Steve for looking after JJ over the last few years, and sorting much of his business out for him.

Rest in Peace Bruv
Dave
Funeral Arrangements
Friday August the 5th at 11.00 am
Breakspear Crematorium,
Breakspear Road,
Ruislip HA4 7SJ

Made sticky by dd.

Rip Driver

Nice words Dave, JJ seemed a nice chap R.I.P Drive :frowning:

Best wishes on your new journey drive!

I met JJ many years ago, a very nice guy and a sad loss.

That was a lovely description of him Dave.

i hope the funeral goes as well as it can.

Nice kind words OP.

RIP drive.

Rip Driver

So sorry to hear this Dave, I knew Jenko very well, he was, as you know a good friend of my dad (Jim Pepper), John was a giant of a man ( or so it seemed to an 11 year old ) and always bought huge laughter and great stories to our house, I’ll never forget John bringing his gorgeous 141 round the house one time, he took me and the old man out for a spin, and as ever drove it like he stole it lol, started a lifelong love of V8 Scania’s that motor.
Dave, I’ll text my Dad tonight and let him know but don’t imagine he can make the funeral at such short notice as he is still living in Spain.

Rip big fella.

God Bless, and Rest in Peace

never knew JJ but he sounded a great guy,RIP drive

RIP drive.

Dave Thanks for putting together those well chosen words for John on here, no one better to do that than you. It’s testament to your long friendship with JJ that most of the Funeral Service was taken from your epitaph.

I did a couple of trips with John and he would always help you out if he could and he would always volunteer for cooking up something out of the trailer box. Not a bad Chef d’camion as I recall.

Safe journey John mate.

Mick B

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. I’m pleased to say that with the help of some of JJs neighbours and friends, old colleagues from the Voluntary Ambulance Service and friends from his time at Pan Express, Mick B and Rod W, we gave JJ a good send off.
Big thanks go to Helen and Steve for organising the day.
Sorry I posted the details of JJs passing a bit late R143-500, but It would have been a long trip for from Spain for your dad and I know he would have been there if he could. I know he was a good friend of JJs, we done quite a lot of reminiscing over the last couple of years and your dad’s name came up fairly frequently.
It’s a fitting tribute to the big man and his 141 that he inspired you to join the trucking industry.
Thanks again to everyone,
Dave

John, second from left, at Truckfest 2003

R.I.P Drive