Jersey info required

Been there countless times and once pulling a promo trailer as you intend to do. The island wide speed limt is not 40 mph but in fact 20 mph, the truck width limit is 7 feet, and 45 feet overall long. I had to sit on the dock and wait for a police ■■■■■■ to head north out of St Helier and again after the show was over.
The island has an amzingly low crime rate, infact almost non existant despite what you may have seen on Begerac LOL.
There is no tax on anything you buy so booze and ciggies are worth stocking up on. On the main street in St Helier every second building is a pub LOL If you want to eat out on a saturday night forget it because all places to eat close that night (I have no idea why) It is ilegal to dance on a sunday night ! Taking a pee in a public place will put you in jail for at least a month. Jersey has it’s own legal system as you may have realised, do something wrong and you will get punishment like you never imagined on British soil and they will not let you out on bail if you do anything wrong, you stay locked up untill you go to court.
Be on your best behavior and enjoy the friendly place it is… :laughing:

PS: They still use the birch :exclamation:

I nearly got a trip over during the summer and I was quite looking forward to it never having been before but the size restrictions meant it was a no go.
As Pat says width is 7 feet and length 45 feet ,30 feet if you in a rigid , so that was me ■■■■■■, I ended up just taking the stuff to Southampton and an Jersey haulier done the rest.

Pat Hasler:
Been there countless times and once pulling a promo trailer as you intend to do. The island wide speed limt is not 40 mph but in fact 20 mph, the truck width limit is 7 feet, and 45 feet overall long. I had to sit on the dock and wait for a police ■■■■■■ to head north out of St Helier and again after the show was over.
The island has an amzingly low crime rate, infact almost non existant despite what you may have seen on Begerac LOL.
There is no tax on anything you buy so booze and ciggies are worth stocking up on. On the main street in St Helier every second building is a pub LOL If you want to eat out on a saturday night forget it because all places to eat close that night (I have no idea why) It is ilegal to dance on a sunday night ! Taking a pee in a public place will put you in jail for at least a month. Jersey has it’s own legal system as you may have realised, do something wrong and you will get punishment like you never imagined on British soil and they will not let you out on bail if you do anything wrong, you stay locked up untill you go to court.

Sorry Pat I started this thread in March and it got resurrected, but thanks for the info. :smiley:
I did find out quote a lot of info, spoke to somebody who’d taken a race car there. The company who wanted the car were willing to sort out permits etc, but in the end and probably because of the transport costs, I seem to recall the ferry being about £1700 each way, although I done some other of these trip taking our cars for display and it doesn’t cease to amaze me what these companies pay for PR events.

contact Huelin Renouff or Ship and Fly they do Jersey

very old post doh

Pat Hasler:

i take it, you not been for a while?

it has changed a bit in the last few years, cigs and booze are creeping up, in price now :frowning:

The Jersey Goverment has introduced GST (Goverment State Tax) which is 5%.
Not as much as our VAT but an increase all the same.

Jersey is not a cheap holiday any more I was there 2 years ago .The prices are a wee bit higher than at home then you pay G.S.T. on top.There are a lot of Poles driving the buses and the hotels are staffed by every Nation on Earth.I dont want to appear racist but what do the locals get to do.I saw one training lorry over there ,quite a short trailer a one axle job.

If you look in and around Southampton/Portsmouth Docks, you’ll see Commodore/Condor Narrow trailers specifically for the Channel islands, being pulled by normal tractor units. They look quite ridiculous as they are the best part of 2 feet narrower than the unit!