Jeremy Corbyn

Any views on the new Labour leader? Dangerous left wing nutter?, savour of the poor and downtrodden?,Daily Mail headline writers god sent gift from heaven for the next 5 years? :laughing: Views please.(cue Carryfast)

I think it’s great. Pretty much guaranteed that Labour will fail at the next election now. I think Carryfast can rest easy as he has no realistic chance of getting elected.

from what I can see his whole election was a joke, you could pay £3 and vote, if that didn’t happen I don’t think he would of won.
personally I think he is un-electable as a future prime minister so Labour are going to be out the picture for many years.

Wouldn’t say he’s dangerous, although I don’t agree with much of what he says.
From what I’ve seen of him he seems to be that rare politician who actually means what he says, and he’s more of a Labour man than any of those red Tories he was competing against. Far from being a throwback from the distant past, I think he’ll be a breath of fresh air which the Tories would be foolish to underestimate.

He is unfortunately another bleeding heart, who would open the floodgates and we would be over run with immigrants should he ever get his way, So lost a lot of votes by speaking at that refugee rally

I’ll just jump in here before the thread gets hi.jacked/Twelvepagedcarryfasted :unamused: .
Never voted Labour as they have gone from their original concept of representing the working man and working class in general to being ran by the ex public schoolboy Middle Class plastic Tories.
If his policies will benefit me and people like me, although I don’t know anything about them yet,it will make a change from the snout in the trough, career politicians in it for themselves.
Although I will believe it when I see it.

Much the same as Robroy, believe it if he does manage to implement any of the old Labour values , if he does i will go for labour.
Cannot understand how any working class workers can even begin to think of voting for the slime tories…unless there wife told them too?

DaiDap:
Wouldn’t say he’s dangerous, although I don’t agree with much of what he says.
From what I’ve seen of him he seems to be that rare politician who actually means what he says, and he’s more of a Labour man than any of those red Tories he was competing against. Far from being a throwback from the distant past, I think he’ll be a breath of fresh air which the Tories would be foolish to underestimate.

As mentioned, it is refreshing to have someone that says what he believes rather than saying what he’s been told to say. At last a politician with opinions. Whether I agree with any of them is another matter !

mas430:
Much the same as Robroy, believe it if he does manage to implement any of the old Labour values , if he does i will go for labour.
Cannot understand how any working class workers can even begin to think of voting for the slime tories…unless there wife told them too?

Thing is, the tory philosophy is that if you work hard you can get somewhere in life by your own efforts,a policy of aspiration if you will which Blair copied whereas Corbyn harks back to a soviet style where the masses work for the good of the system which is fine as long as the system isn’t rewarding the feckless/workshy,I know which system I prefer :wink: This is my simple opinion,am no greatly educated politico,just an ordinary hard working joe

My view is that Corbyn is living in the past and it is too late to go back there. So his policies will fail, Labour will keep imploding and the tories must have a hell of a hang over celebrating Mr Corbyns victory as Labour are now out of the centre ground where they really did pose a real threat to the tories. I think that Corbyn is like a Michael Foot and is unable to articulate argument in the house so the tories will have a field day with him on the floor of the commons. Could be messy and that’s why he has already asked for PMQs to be changed and field questions from other labour MPs. Cooper and co will plot behind his back and won’t step in to save him so they will give him enough rope to hang himself. At last politics is getting fun and I might start watching the parliament channel to watch the comedy. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Libs Dems finished
Labour finished

Tories will be more concerned about UKIP :wink:

Agreed,the next 5 years is going to be interesting,the tories have to be carefull though,they know they are going to be in power for the next ten years at least but they can’t gloat and alienate a portion of the electorate.

For years we’ve been complaining about faceless suited politicians who are basically clones, toadying up to the party leadership, right wing press barons and bankers, but you can’t accuse Jermey Corbyn of any of that, you know what he stands for, he’s stood for it for years, sadly he will be crucified by the media, because the last thing you should do in an interview with them is stick to your convictions.

However in this day and age of social media and people looking for something different from the normal career politician the media should be careful if they write him off as a unelectable left wing looney, because despite his age he’s actually engaged with the young and disenfranchised of this country.

As for his views and maybe his future policies, take you pick.

Wants to get rid of Trident, is anti NATO and a republican.
He was against the Iraq war and is against bombing Syria.
He spoke to Gerry Adams many years before the peace process in NI and supports the Palestinians.
He wants to re-nationise the railways and other services.
He wants to stop the privatisation of the NHS
He for linking rent increase to earnings or inflation or something that stops landlords ramping them up to exorbitant levels.
He wants the government to spend money on housing and infrastructure.
Wants the minimum wage to be set at the living wage.

I know British politics is that you elect a party, but more and more its coming down to the party leader. I just don’t think he is primeminster material, he may well be a good leader but I don’t think they will ever get into government with him at the helm.

He can say what he wants but until he gets into power he can’t do anything!

My prediction is that Labour will now fall to their lowest point with Corbyn in charge, then the only way for them to go from there is up. Plenty of labour mp’s are going to leave, some already have and they’ll be starting from scratch. Labour are going to struggle for years and years to get people to vote for them again given what they did to the country. I think we’ll have a Tory government for a long time now.

Wether agree or not it is going to get interesting if he can argue in parliament unlike Milaband he say what he thinks not sure if I agree with him on all accounts but he may remind me of the late Tony Benn in a lot of way speaks his mind

Don’t matter what he has asked for there my be many reason for this but didn’t Cameron decide in the last parliament that it was 5 years at the helm

It makes a welcome change to see someone in charge of the labour party who isn’t just Tory light.
I get a feeling that this is the result that the conservatives most feared, a real alternative to their let the rich get richer policies.
Although there is a lot I disagree with Corbyns ideology, there are also a lot that the bulk of the WORKING population of this country should agree with. If he can get his head around the fact that there are a lot of people who don’t want to work and shouldn’t be rewarded for that, then I reckon he could make the Labour party a force to be reckoned with.
I hope he will make Labour a party for the WORKERS again.

I think that the next months will be interesting, the tories will dig all the dirt they possibly can and shout it through the most powerful amplifiers they can find because of one thing. They are absolutely scared ■■■■■■■■ that the ordinary person, about whom they appreciate nothing, might see in Corbyn something they have been looking for for so long. Listening to him yesterday I was impressed… no parrot fashion spouting what he had been coached to say by spin doctors, but most noticeable was that it was not from a learnt speech, but a live performance.

When everything in the 70/80s was Nationalised or with Union strangle hold ,what did we have. BL =strikes NCB =strikes Power = winter strikes Gas = winter strikes Docks = strikes (not many on General can say they did not get stuck at a Port for days on end back in the 70/80s)
Railway =strikes and still do

With Corbyn as Labour Leader with McCluskey pulling his strings thats what will happen all over again

:open_mouth: 18 posts (19 including this one) and the ‘font of all knowledge’ still has not surfaced to put you ALL correct on why he is not/maybe the right guy for the job :slight_smile:

raymundo:
:shock: 18 posts (19 including this one) and the ‘font of all knowledge’ still has not surfaced to put you ALL correct on why he is not/maybe the right guy for the job :slight_smile:

Maybe he’s on the care homes annual visit to Dignitas. :smiley: