Jeremy Clarkson PQ17 arctic convoy

Missed this last night, so just watched it on iplayer, if you have a hr spare, give it a go, especially if you think you’re having a bad day… Men of the WW2 convoys, I salute you… :cry:

Aye, I saw that, cracking yarn.

perkibre:
Missed this last night, so just watched it on iplayer, if you have a hr spare, give it a go, especially if you think you’re having a bad day… Men of the WW2 convoys, I salute you… :cry:

My Grandfather served in them Convoys…

If anyone has read HMS Ulysees, it sort of puts you in mind of an artic convoy.

Anyone interested in Naval history,research The Scarpa Flow sunken German fleet and The Thistlegorm in the Red Sea.

I just missed it by 5 minutes… :laughing:

read a book about pq17 at high school amazing bravery and fortitude by all the will to get through is amazing

truckyboy:
I just missed it by 5 minutes… :laughing:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

My grandad was chief stoker on one of the navy boats on the Russian convoys, he never ever spoke of any thing about it apart from saying being in the engine room was the warmest place although if you got torpedoed you was the last one to try to get out. Men were men in those days

The men were men ,but the officers whose side were they on.

U-Boat skippers would sometimes come alongside cargo ships and ask the crew to abandon ship before sinking them, recognising they weren’t fighting sailors I guess

I watched that on I player last night thanks for the post I didn’t see it advertised on tv

A very well written and interesting program, some more info and pictures.
mikekemble.com/ww2/convoypq17.html

claretmatt:
U-Boat skippers would sometimes come alongside cargo ships and ask the crew to abandon ship before sinking them, recognising they weren’t fighting sailors I guess

yes thats true(although the exception to the rule) and early in the war.soon their attitudes hardened and the ■■■■■■■■ machine gunned survivors in lifeboats,as did the e-boat crews.(yes i do know about werner hartenstein towing the life boats of the Laconia with his uboat after he sunk it ,and all credit to him for that however)
my grandfather was a chief petty officer in the Royal Navy during the war and endured some of the arctic convoys,as well as the atlantic convoys.the arctic convoys were not described as the "worst journey in the world "for nothing. the russians at archangel and murmansk were not very welcoming either.
i have no sympathy for the u boat crews that perished in their iron coffins.

if any of you liked the pq17 thing by clarkson,have a look on you tube for another excellent programme he did about “the raid on st nazaire”. inspiring stuff!!!

I see David Irving is kicking off about this as he says BBC have plagiarised his book. There are only 26 letters in the alphabet so a few words will be used over and over :stuck_out_tongue:

JC went on the ship, he went to the island, he went to Moscow. he spoke to the remaining men who were there.

Fantastic programme and it brought home to me how hard those men had it in the merchant navy, Royal navy, fleet air arm on the convoys.

For those who missed it first time around, it’s on BBC2 @9.30 tonight. Well worth watching

I’ll have look at that. My old dad was in the Merchant Navy during the war, stoker he was. Brave buggers the lot of 'em.

:smiley:

Fat Controller:
For those who missed it first time around, it’s on BBC2 @9.30 tonight. Well worth watching

have set it to record , was down the road @2.30 am this morning . not much chance of me being awake at9.30 pm :smiley:

Great well presented program,for readers out there try these,
THE QUIET HEROES British merchant seamen at war1939-1945 BERNARD EDWARDS (pen and sword maritime)
THE TWILIGHT OF THE U BOATS BERNARD EDWARDS (pen and sword)
ON PQ17 THE CONVOY TO HELL PAUL LUND AND HARRY LUDLAM (foulsham)
ARTIC CONVOY PQ8 the story of captain robert brundle and the SS HARMATRIS micheal wadsworth (pen and sword maritime)

Good submarine films are;
Das boot The boat.
And The enemy below.