JCB's and motorways

Overtook one of them JCB Fastrack things pulling a trailer on the M1 today. He was setting a fair pace and not causing any problems, but I did start wondering at the legality of it. We’ve all seen the signs at the start of the motorway forbidding different types of vehicles including tractors, so are these treated differently?

I think that some people do MOT Fastrack tractors and then they are able to use the motorways though they are far and few between

I see a normal tractor towing a long trailer going down the M271 into Southampton quite regularly. :open_mouth:

From the highway code…

Prohibited vehicles. Motorways MUST NOT be used by pedestrians, holders of provisional motorcycle or car licences, riders of motorcycles under 50 cc, cyclists, horse riders, certain slow-moving vehicles and those carrying oversized loads (except by special permission), agricultural vehicles, and powered wheelchairs/powered mobility scooters (see Rules 36 to 46 inclusive)
Laws HA 1980 sects 16, 17 & sch 4, MT(E&W)R regs 3(d), 4 & 11, MT(E&W)(A)R, R(S)A sects 7, 8 & sch 3, RTRA sects 17(2) & (3), & MT(S)R reg 10

I guess if they’re taxed as agricultural vehicles (running on cherry etc) they’re prohibited.

Mailman:
I see a normal tractor towing a long trailer going down the M271 into Southampton quite regularly. :open_mouth:

Pretty sure some Fendt tractors can do around 80kmph, maybe other makes too now?? Contractors were doing silage carting near me last year and it was like hell drivers but with tractors I followed one for a good while and it was certainly going some!

O now there’s a can of worms (JCB fastrac) when on the road being used by a poor farmer towing grain back to the farm (red diesel) when using an old bulkier on a dolly full of beet to sugar town, white diesel, as long as his beet in the back, know if it’s farmer poor’s beet from next door farm then he needs an O licence, as its hire n reward,…

Fastrac can do 50mph if geared correctly.

Next question would be the legality on the fuel they are running…?

SouthEastCashew:
Next question would be the legality on the fuel they are running…?[/quote
Yes as they can only use red on their own farm work and not hire or reward

blue estate:

SouthEastCashew:
Next question would be the legality on the fuel they are running…?
[/quote
Yes as they can only use red on their own farm work and not hire or reward

Yep so would be interesting to see if they switch it out or not hmmm

a fastrak is just a loophole vehicle so those poor poor farmers can milk it even more.over here in eire,then they dont really concern themselves with loopholes,they just belt down the inside lane ar 20mph with 1 in the cab and 2 standing on the hitch…i caught up with one a while ago at night ,obviously there was no lights on the thing,and as i got closer,the 2nd dude crammed into the cab pointed one of those million candlepower hunting lamps at me to let me know they were there,thus completely blinding me in the process…you can only smile at the naievity of your average paddy inbred farm labourer… :open_mouth:

Being overtaken on the M5 by a Fasttrak was quite bizarre :confused:

anisboy:
Being overtaken on the M5 by a Fasttrak was quite bizarre :confused:

id be thinking of a new truck if i was you… :smiley: