jcb fastrac

i was gobsmacked when i joined the m62 yesterday,looked in my mirror to join the moterway a jcb fastrac pulling a trailer was looming up towards me,doing 50 mph. i didnt know they were allowed on motorways…

jon

Some are, some aren’t, depends on how they are plated. I phoned the police one time in a similar situation when I saw one on the opposite carriageway by the little house on the prairie.
The police do stop them occasionally, but if they are plated right, then they can’t chuck them off.
I personally think it’s taking the wee wee using a “tractor” on a motorway.

I personally think it’s taking the wee wee when they can pull 40’ trailers on a dolly at god knows what weight at god knows what speed without the need for an operators licence.

KW:
I personally think it’s taking the wee wee when they can pull 40’ trailers on a dolly at god knows what weight at god knows what speed without the need for an operators licence.

And probably on RED diesel as well :cry: :cry: :wink:

JCB Fast trac’s were designed for 50% highway use and have the capability of exeeding 60mph, all that is required otherwise is that any load they haul is well secured and street legal.

Pat Hasler:
JCB Fast trac’s were designed for 50% highway use and have the capability of exeeding 60mph, all that is required otherwise is that any load they haul is well secured and street legal.

and I have no problem with the ones that use white diesel, O licences and a properly qualified driver - however most I see are driven by 17 yr olds and using red diesel :exclamation: :exclamation:

Does it really matter?. To run on red diesel it has to carry out business to do with the farm that owns it (or contracted too). It also has to be within a certian radious of the farm. An articulated trailer with a dolly must be incapable of being seperated else it is classified as 2 trailers & you cant carry anything on either trailer whe pulling 2 trailers. I dont think they have a maximum weith they can pull, its limited to axial weights. they can carry 27t with a 3 axial trailer.

What about the MB Unimog? They operate on the mororway.

As long as the Fastrac is hauling loads in connection with Agriculture i.e. silage,fertiliser,straw,hay,barley,wheat and beet, its legal to run on red fuel,although I think there’s something to do with a max 24t GVW? If however its hauling quarry stone in a dump trailer most of the time legally it should be on white fuel.

And surely if it is doing hire and reward & it weighs more than 3500kg it should have a tacho as well as brakes and lights. The ones I see are pulling old tandem spreadaxles on a converter dolly made up from an Albion Reiver axle

Even if it is taking windy millers grain to a silo, that must count as hire and reward.

Dont fancy doing Istanbul in one though! :smiley:

That would then mean that every Agri contractor in the country who runs a Self propelled silage harvester and its supporting fleet of 4/5 140hp tractors and 16 ton sliage trailers would have to have tacho’s fitted? Maybe its not right but Agriculture has alot of exemptions when it comes to operating machinery on public roads!!!

Big Truck:
That would then mean that every Agri contractor in the country who runs a Self propelled silage harvester and its supporting fleet of 4/5 140hp tractors and 16 ton sliage trailers would have to have tacho’s fitted? Maybe its not right but Agriculture has alot of exemptions when it comes to operating machinery on public roads!!!

that’s a different thing - those are machines used on farms who need to move from farm to farm - what I am concerned about was a case that I saw 5-6 years ago - a fastrac being used to deliver bulk cattle feed from a feed mill to a farm - it was owned by neither the farm or the mill - it was just unfair competition to the guys using properly licenced etc lorries doing the same job!

nice to see i have started an interesting debate,as an ex tractor driver i have some knowledge of the regs,but it is ten years since i have been in agriculture so jcb fastrac where still new,and expensive.
to my knowledge the 25 mile rule corcerned road tax,not red diesel as tractors only pay peanuts for rfl.
the jcb was unfrieghted and complete with lights and brakes doing 50 mph.
i spoke to a farmer who was pulling a 40ft trailer and delivering veg with one he said it was much cheaper to run than a tractor unit :imp:
mind you he struggled like hell to reverse the a frame dolly :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
jon

jon boy 100:
nice to see i have started an interesting debate,as an ex tractor driver i have some knowledge of the regs,but it is ten years since i have been in agriculture so jcb fastrac where still new,and expensive.
to my knowledge the 25 mile rule corcerned road tax,not red diesel as tractors only pay peanuts for rfl.
jon[/quote

as an ex farmer :wink: can I just point out the 25 mile rule is 15 anfd rfl for tractors is free - although you have to apply for your free disc every year :laughing:

red diesel had an extra 2.5ppl added at the budget

Denis F:
as an ex farmer :wink: can I just point out the 25 mile rule is 15 anfd rfl for tractors is free - although you have to apply for your free disc every year :laughing:

yes i know it was free but i thought this govt might have introduced charges :wink:

but i dont recall the radius being only 15 miles our farm was 3500 acres and over 15 miles from main farm to boundry
just a small point my overtime rate was £6.27 ph in 1992.wonder what it is now :question:

jon

jon boy 100:

Denis F:
just a small point my overtime rate was £6.27 ph in 1992.wonder what it is now :question:

jon

http://www.defra.gov.uk/news/awb/awb203.htm

£9.03
not as much as i thought it would be
i will stick with my £11.33 :laughing:

jon