JAUPT to become part of DVSA

From 1 October 2022 the Joint Approvals Unit for Periodic Training (JAUPT) will become part of DVSA.
JAUPT processes applications from training providers for centre and course approvals for Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (DCPC) and drink-drive rehabilitation (DDR).
JAUPT offers these services exclusively to DVSA, so it has been decided to bring the functions JAUPT offers in-house to DVSA.
The existing staff have been offered the chance to join DVSA so the service to DCPC training providers will stay the same.

Source:
content.govdelivery.com/account … ns/32ef364

ScaniaUltimate:
From 1 October 2022 the Joint Approvals Unit for Periodic Training (JAUPT) will become part of DVSA.
JAUPT processes applications from training providers for centre and course approvals for Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (DCPC) and drink-drive rehabilitation (DDR).
JAUPT offers these services exclusively to DVSA, so it has been decided to bring the functions JAUPT offers in-house to DVSA.
The existing staff have been offered the chance to join DVSA so the service to DCPC training providers will stay the same.

Source:
content.govdelivery.com/account … ns/32ef364

Yes, I got a similar email from DVSA only yesterday.

We’ll have to wait and see what (if any) changes may be made. :neutral_face:

One thing’s for sure, it couldn’t be any worse than before :laughing:

Or could it… :unamused:

I noticed they’re promising to keep things the same, but not promising improvements.

Zac_A:
One thing’s for sure, it couldn’t be any worse than before :laughing:

Or could it… :unamused:

I noticed they’re promising to keep things the same, but not promising improvements.

Steady on Zac. :open_mouth:

TBF, I remember right back to day #1 of DCPC, so when compared to then and depending which side of the fence a person is on, it has improved somewhat already. :smiley:

It started off as a kid’s school project, but I think an adult may have looked at it since. :grimacing:

Have the Government finished looking at the DCPC yet. They were looking at it last november but nothing as been said since .Grant Shapps was the transport minister then . IMHO there’s only one way to improve it but that opinion won’t go down too well with some on here. Ive just booked another days course on line and feel confident that when it’s over i will be fully versed in getting in and out of the cab safely.
I work every other saturday until approximately 12.30pm , our company offer free training but it must be done on the saturday i dont work , is this legal bearing in mind i start at 5.30 am and the course is classed as work ■■?, i dont think it is bearing in mind i once had to sign for an infringement for working 1 minute over my 6 hour rule on a saturday, but instead of an argument i book a days holiday and pay Driver Hire £40 for the course.

ramone:
our company offer free training but it must be done on the saturday i dont work , is this legal bearing in mind i start at 5.30 am and the course is classed as work ■■?,

Do you get paid wages for attending the course? If so it’s work, if you’re not getting paid, then it’s not work. All this should be clearly explained on a Driver’s Hours course, assuming you get someone who knows what they’re talking about.

Speak to your company if the training provider is providing rubbish courses, there are other options out there.

I have ten drivers booked on a course next week with a TP and Trainer I’m familiar with. I know my guys will (a) learn the things that I know they need to be better with, and (b) they won’t be bored witless because I’ve put thought into who they’re doing their course with.

If more people did that, DCPC would be generally better, but like many things in the industry often are, it’s all about minimal commitment and effort, so crappy TPs with crappy courses still exist. On the plus side, if you’d read the recent post by the guy from Manchester you’d know that with a Driver Hire online course there may be dodges you can use you… :laughing:

dieseldave:
It started off as a kid’s school project, but I think an adult may have looked at it since. :grimacing:

Indeed, it started off as something thrown together by people who had not the slightest clue of what they were doing - making it compulsory to do “courses” for a “qualification” that you can get without sitting any form of “exam” :unamused:

Some while ago I had detailed communications with JAUPT’s Managing Director, and later, one of their Non-executive Directors. So plenty of “grown ups” involved, no doubt on comfortable salaries/retainers, but still a bunch of absolute nuggets who are well-versed in “management-speak” but lack any notion of “joined-up thinking”.

Zac_A:

ramone:
our company offer free training but it must be done on the saturday i dont work , is this legal bearing in mind i start at 5.30 am and the course is classed as work ■■?,

Do you get paid wages for attending the course? If so it’s work, if you’re not getting paid, then it’s not work. All this should be clearly explained on a Driver’s Hours course, assuming you get someone who knows what they’re talking about.

Speak to your company if the training provider is providing rubbish courses, there are other options out there.

I have ten drivers booked on a course next week with a TP and Trainer I’m familiar with. I know my guys will (a) learn the things that I know they need to be better with, and (b) they won’t be bored witless because I’ve put thought into who they’re doing their course with.

If more people did that, DCPC would be generally better, but like many things in the industry often are, it’s all about minimal commitment and effort, so crappy TPs with crappy courses still exist. On the plus side, if you’d read the recent post by the guy from Manchester you’d know that with a Driver Hire online course there may be dodges you can use you… :laughing:

So if i decide to work for a friend driving for free on a saturday it wouldn’t be classed as work? Not sure how that works. If you are at work you are working, 7 hours of training is work irrespective of if you get paid or not. If not getting paid to do the exact same thing as getting paid then tha’s a loophole i’ve never heard of. You are on a work related course which is mandatory so you either forfeit your saturday and cut short a weekend rest period which would in my case be part of a 3 week cycle of which i would be cutting short another rest period or use a days holiday and pay for the course

ramone:

Zac_A:

ramone:

If more people did that, DCPC would be generally better, but like many things in the industry often are, it’s all about minimal commitment and effort, so crappy TPs with crappy courses still exist. On the plus side, if you’d read the recent post by the guy from Manchester you’d know that with a Driver Hire online course there may be dodges you can use you… [emoji38]

So if i decide to work for a friend driving for free on a saturday it wouldn’t be classed as work? Not sure how that works. If you are at work you are working, 7 hours of training is work irrespective of if you get paid or not. If not getting paid to do the exact same thing as getting paid then tha’s a loophole i’ve never heard of. You are on a work related course which is mandatory so you either forfeit your saturday and cut short a weekend rest period which would in my case be part of a 3 week cycle of which i would be cutting short another rest period or use a days holiday and pay for the course

So this day’s holiday that you’re taking, are you going to include it in your tacho records as other work?

stu675:

ramone:

Zac_A:

ramone:

If more people did that, DCPC would be generally better, but like many things in the industry often are, it’s all about minimal commitment and effort, so crappy TPs with crappy courses still exist. On the plus side, if you’d read the recent post by the guy from Manchester you’d know that with a Driver Hire online course there may be dodges you can use you… [emoji38]

So this day’s holiday that you’re taking, are you going to include it in your tacho records as other work?

Why? if you are on holiday it is automatically 9 hours anyway so would i have a choice?
Our TM told me last year that i was over my 48 hour average and needed to take 3 days off unpaid. I said fine i will take 3 saturdays off , all of a sudden i wasn’t over my average but my point is what difference does it make if you are paid or not for taking the course you are still doing 7 hours that isn’t rest. The rest period is supposed to be for health and safety reasons so why does it become irrelevant if im not being paid. Surely work related courses should be completed in work time not rest periods otherwise it makes a mockery of the hours rules

8 hours for the first 21 (?) days of your holidays ^^^^

the maoster:
8 hours for the first 21 (?) days of your holidays ^^^^

I only get 20

ramone:
So if i decide to work for a friend driving for free on a saturday it wouldn’t be classed as work?

It depends what the driving is, you’d have to be specific about the driving you’re doing, sometimes what looks like helping a mate out can be considered commercial

ramone:
Not sure how that works. If you are at work you are working, 7 hours of training is work irrespective of if you get paid or not.

No, it’s not. Unpaid training on a day off does not count as “work”, see WTD/RTD regulations for more detail

ramone:
You are on a work related course which is mandatory

It’s only mandatory if you want to keep your right to drive for a living, your DQC is your “qualification”, the card gets sent to your address and you take it with you if you change jobs. That’s part of the reason it is not work - you are in effect doing it for yourself, and the responsibility to organize, complete and pay for the training needed to have that DQC is yours. Companies who pay for the training are not under any obligation to do so.

If you’d done a good Drivers Hours/WTD & RTD course, instead of the low quality snooze fest type stuff, delivered by someone who either doesn’t know their onions, or is so effed off with the job they simply don’t care if anyone learns anything or not, this would have been properly explained.

But don’t just take my word for it, here it is from another source:
Does Driver CPC Training Count as Working Time?
Under the terms of the Road Transport (Working Time) Regulations, working hours are any time that an employee is “at the employer’s disposal”. Therefore, if a driver is required to attend a training course such as Driver CPC by their employer, then this does count as working time.
pearsoncpc.co.uk/faqs

Zac_A:

ramone:
So if i decide to work for a friend driving for free on a saturday it wouldn’t be classed as work?

It depends what the driving is, you’d have to be specific about the driving you’re doing, sometimes what looks like helping a mate out can be considered commercial

ramone:
Not sure how that works. If you are at work you are working, 7 hours of training is work irrespective of if you get paid or not.

No, it’s not. Unpaid training on a day off does not count as “work”, see WTD/RTD regulations for more detail

ramone:
You are on a work related course which is mandatory

It’s only mandatory if you want to keep your right to drive for a living, your DQC is your “qualification”, the card gets sent to your address and you take it with you if you change jobs. That’s part of the reason it is not work - you are in effect doing it for yourself, and the responsibility to organize, complete and pay for the training needed to have that DQC is yours. Companies who pay for the training are not under any obligation to do so.

If you’d done a good Drivers Hours/WTD & RTD course, instead of the low quality snooze fest type stuff, delivered by someone who either doesn’t know their onions, or is so effed off with the job they simply don’t care if anyone learns anything or not, this would have been properly explained.

But don’t just take my word for it, here it is from another source:
Does Driver CPC Training Count as Working Time?
Under the terms of the Road Transport (Working Time) Regulations, working hours are any time that an employee is “at the employer’s disposal”. Therefore, if a driver is required to attend a training course such as Driver CPC by their employer, then this does count as working time.
pearsoncpc.co.uk/faqs

So the drivers hours law isn’t for health and safety then? If i decide to do my cpc i am not working if my employer says i can do my cpc on a saturday im not working if im not been paid if he pays me i am working … read that back to yourself and say it makes sense ffs

Nobody said it had to make sense. However what Zak wrote is the law, simple as that.

the maoster:
Nobody said it had to make sense. However what Zak wrote is the law, simple as that.

No wonder theres a driver shortage

the maoster: