James Paterson Transport ( Aberdeen )

Does any of you guys remember James Paterson Transport of South Anderson Drive Aberdeen and Blochairn Road Glasgow. My father John Walker worked out of the Glasgow depot in the mid 70’s. They were I believe fully owned by TDC and sister company Charles Alexander & Partners were based in a parallel depot at Blochairn now occupied by Stagecoach. Patersons Glasgow depot was managed by a gentleman called George Carr who hailed from Aberdeen and his father owned a well known jewelers shop, whilst Aberdeen was managed by Jim Brackenbridge who later founded JBT. I was very young when my Dad, Wee Johnnie worked there but I remember vividly them picketing the gate during the strike I think of 1973■■? Patersons had a fleet of very smart Atkinson Borderers in a red and grey livery and Ergomatic cabbed Leyland Beavers which were mostly in the colours of John Rhinds Transport who were taken over by Patersons. Both the Atkinsons and the Leylands were well known for being absolute flying machines. Glasgow also had a Ford D Series 7.5 tonner affectionately known as ‘The Pup’. When me and my Dad talk nostalgically about the job Patersons often get praise for being a ‘good company’ so it would be interesting if any you guys have any memories of this company long assigned to the great highway in the sky. Over to you guys…

aye aye, Charles Alexander bought John Rhinds, it was not Patterson, Charles Alexander bought Patterson as well, and Dundee Delivers as well, Charles Alexander bought out 30 companies long before the TDG Bought Into Charles Alexander and the TDG only secured 49% of Charles Alexander, thats why all companies bought and owned buy Charles Alexanders was allowed to stay in there own colours, Sutherlands,Pattersons,John Rhinds Aberdeen Ice Company, Dundee Deliveries, Fraser Road Transport, and so on and so on, Charles Alexander had over 300 lorries by 1937 up and down the UK, that would of been by buying up a lot of companies and buying lorries,

I remember a Paterson as you climbed up the Aberdeen ring road after turning left at Dee Bridge,on the left hand side,was it the same one? I haven’t been up there since about 1978.

Hi Chris, Yes that right about them being on Anderson Drive n Aberdeen, but it was Charles Alexander who built that place where Sutherlands and John Rhind, Charles bought the land in 1945 it was a half built because of the war, and no money for the council to finish it, so they sold it to Charles, Charles bought up almost every company in Aberdeen, and kept it pretty secret, not even Charles Alexander driver knew about it, Charles kept every company separate and never merged any of them, join my FB group ‘’‘CHARLES ALEXANDER & PARTNERS ABERDEEN’‘’ You will get a good education, and a couple 1000 photo’s to look at,

Hi, it was a half built ice rink Charles bought it,

To his credit I believe Jim Brakenbridge was the youngest managing director ever employed by TDG.

I worked for James Paterson Transport back in the 70s as a fork lift driver and Dundee Express next door as a 7.5t driver ford D series. My dad drove for Charles Alexanders back then too