Jake brake and other retarders

Only been in one truck with a Jake brake but it
was really good . Tony

I’ve only had one Jake Brake equipped motor too, my trusty Sed Ack 401 with E320 14 litre ■■■■■■■■

At the time it was fitted to that particular ■■■■■■■ they didn’t have the conversion kit for doing the extra 2 cylinders, so i was told (possibly BS but apparently some new pipework needed for where inlet went over head), so it only worked on 4 cylinders, however the performance was miles in advance of any exhaust brake, had to switch it down to 2 cyls empty in the wet or lock up was a serious possibility, fully loaded only really needed the brakes in an emergency or to come to a final stop.

Micro switch on clutch went a couple of times, so unless you remembered to switch it off manually, when you came to rest the engine would be popping and banging for a second or two.

Only lorries i’ve ever driven since with anything approaching the ■■■■■■ of the Jake have been fairly late Volvos, apparently a similar system i understand, very effective too, got to be on your toes though, i came out of one yard where i got a different lorry every day empty and went sailing up the ind est road, heavy frost ungritted and black ice…didn’t realise the retarder was on full (3 settings), course as i slowed up and just entering the icy roundabout the auto box kicked down a couple gears and the retarder immediately locked the drive axle just as i gingerly entered the black ice covered roundabout…cor blimey that gave me an arse twitching moment i can tell you, had room to recover luckily or that could have been embarrasing, never too old to learn and stuff can still catch you out.

Nearly all other lorries i’ve driven, the usual exhaust brakes or other retarders have been about as much use as a chocolate teapot, just make a noise.

I’m very interested in Hino’s, the reason being they seem old school simple like Axor (good truck IMO) and Toyota influenced products are usually tough and reliable, especially in the industrial or commercial sector if a little old fashioned, none the worse for that…if it aint broke etc, indeed the tipper lads on hard work seem to use them quite a lot.
It is difficult to find good info on their vehicles, it appears they have their own version of Jake too…is that correct does anyone know?

mercman123:
Only been in one truck with a Jake brake but it
was really good . Tony

There is a perfectly good thread here about retarders, did you need a new one?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87794&start=30&hilit=retarders

Many years ago I used to do a bit of part time bus driving (National Express), the Leyland Leopards had Telma retartders (very good, 4 settings). One guy came back from doing the Halifax to London service complaining about the motor (no guts, won’t pull, won’t go) He’d never heard of the Telma, he’d been all the way to London and back with it switched on in notch 1. :unamused:

Used to have an ERF ■■■■■■■ 250? with a Jacobs Brake,very useful tool,coming back from Cross Hands in South Wales,you needed the brake on the Heads of the Valleys road with a D9 with blade and Kelly Ripper on,about 65 ton IIRC,even with the brake on,by the time you arrived back on the flat roads again,the King trailer brakes were still glowing red!!!

Take it easy,

David :slight_smile:

Juddian:
I’ve only had one Jake Brake equipped motor too, my trusty Sed Ack 401 with E320 14 litre ■■■■■■■■

At the time it was fitted to that particular ■■■■■■■ they didn’t have the conversion kit for doing the extra 2 cylinders, so i was told (possibly BS but apparently some new pipework needed for where inlet went over head), so it only worked on 4 cylinders, however the performance was miles in advance of any exhaust brake, had to switch it down to 2 cyls empty in the wet or lock up was a serious possibility, fully loaded only really needed the brakes in an emergency or to come to a final stop.

Micro switch on clutch went a couple of times, so unless you remembered to switch it off manually, when you came to rest the engine would be popping and banging for a second or two.

Only lorries i’ve ever driven since with anything approaching the ■■■■■■ of the Jake have been fairly late Volvos, apparently a similar system i understand, very effective too, got to be on your toes though, i came out of one yard where i got a different lorry every day empty and went sailing up the ind est road, heavy frost ungritted and black ice…didn’t realise the retarder was on full (3 settings), course as i slowed up and just entering the icy roundabout the auto box kicked down a couple gears and the retarder immediately locked the drive axle just as i gingerly entered the black ice covered roundabout…cor blimey that gave me an arse twitching moment i can tell you, had room to recover luckily or that could have been embarrasing, never too old to learn and stuff can still catch you out.

Nearly all other lorries i’ve driven, the usual exhaust brakes or other retarders have been about as much use as a chocolate teapot, just make a noise.

I’m very interested in Hino’s, the reason being they seem old school simple like Axor (good truck IMO) and Toyota influenced products are usually tough and reliable, especially in the industrial or commercial sector if a little old fashioned, none the worse for that…if it aint broke etc, indeed the tipper lads on hard work seem to use them quite a lot.
It is difficult to find good info on their vehicles, it appears they have their own version of Jake too…is that correct does anyone know?

hi

try this link
hino-global.com/products/trucks/700.html
takes you to the hino global products site.
i like them I nearly persuaded c davis to have a demo when he was going to replace my ERF(failed, got an ex TNT 112).my toyotas are bombproof , and i suspect the F700 is as well, but nice and simple

found this video,
youtube.com/watch?v=Pokpfj6Z … re=related
i can remember setting car alarms off with the jake brake on setting 3.

gazza1970:
found this video,
youtube.com/watch?v=Pokpfj6Z … re=related
i can remember setting car alarms off with the jake brake on setting 3.

I drove an ERF ■■■■■■■ in the 80s fitted with a Jake brake, going over Woodhead at 0300hrs I used the Jake dropping into Tintwistle from Sheffield side and triggered all the car alarms that used to park on the main road there - Happy days!!

tonyj105:

hi

try this link
hino-global.com/products/trucks/700.html
takes you to the hino global products site.
i like them I nearly persuaded c davis to have a demo when he was going to replace my ERF(failed, got an ex TNT 112).my toyotas are bombproof , and i suspect the F700 is as well, but nice and simple
[/quote]
EDIT…seem to have buggered that quote up, again.

Thanks, i’ve had a look and can’t see any details of retarder, sure i’ve seen a cutaway pic of a Hino 700 engine valvegear somewhere else, and a mention in text of engine retarder, blowed if i can recall though.

I’m a big Toyota fan too, durable and reliable has been my experience over decades, customers not expected to be final R&D, service back up and aftercare better than any other car maker, i have a sneaky feeling Hino could well be a best kept secret answer to the prayers of those who want to get away from unreliable untested electronic carp.

Like Axor, maybe suffer from image problem, not ■■■■ or bling enough it seems for some modern drivers, simple capable basic working motor the Axor has been my experience and none the worse for that.

Meself i still like proper drivers lorries with gearsticks and guts and as little electronic carp as possible, getting thin on the ground now.

didn’t know i had a twin

toyotas since 1974 (corolla/celica/carina/corolla gt+gti/rav mk1 - rav nrg+ iq3)

axor - operated an 1843 at salvesen for over 12 months on demo , really good underated motor,

Hinos, got weird looks in northampton when i said he ought to try a 7.5 tonne Dyna as a replacement for a renault 7.5 midlum , as i rated them highly

revman:

I like the “Mayfair” in the Atkinson cab!!!

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I used to drive a erf e10 witha 325 ■■■■■■■ fitted witha jake brake, I used to do the same run everyday and I used to drive through Ketton at about 0515 every morning, as I dropped down into the 30mph zone i’d drop a gear and press the pedal for the jake brake. One day I went through on my second run about 1200 and stopped at a shop in Ketton for some cigarettes, as the woman served me she asked if I came through the village inbetween 0500-0530 every morning?, when I replied yes she said “I thought so your lorry makes such a distinctive noise and my husband wakes up every morning when he hears you , looks at he clock and says he’s late/early/on time today”

I love my Jake Brake, as I’ve got 15 litres of yellow iron, it has plenty of retardation, it’s almost as good as a full on retarder and I only use the service brakes for the final stop, in normal driving anyway. It also makes a fabulous noise through straight through pipes (which I have) :sunglasses:

I also have a Jake Brake baseball cap (which I do not wear :laughing: ) got it at a truckshow :sunglasses:

In May 1986 three primary schoolchildren were killed in an accident in Maidstone, that was IIRC, put down to a fault with the Dauerbremse. I think it was a case that the system also applied the trailer brakes when the retarder was operated. In this accident the trailer started to jacknife in a town street with tragic results.

Would I be right in saying thet the Jake Brake was made by the Jacob firm that made the chucks for electric drills ie Black & Decker etc ■■ , Regards Larry.

The very same Lawrence.

newmercman:
I love my Jake Brake, as I’ve got 15 litres of yellow iron, it has plenty of retardation, it’s almost as good as a full on retarder and I only use the service brakes for the final stop, in normal driving anyway. It also makes a fabulous noise through straight through pipes (which I have) :sunglasses:

I also have a Jake Brake baseball cap (which I do not wear :laughing: ) got it at a truckshow :sunglasses:

Hi mark,
Brynglas tunnel westbound my son and I returning from the retro show.it’s deafening on the freight deck of a ferry :laughing: though the best ever was three years ago in ramsgate tunnel :smiley: .i hardly use the foot brake bobtail.

cav551:
In May 1986 three primary schoolchildren were killed in an accident in Maidstone, that was IIRC, put down to a fault with the Dauerbremse. I think it was a case that the system also applied the trailer brakes when the retarder was operated. In this accident the trailer started to jacknife in a town street with tragic results.

I remember that, it was one of A & RJ Woods’ 1626 Mercs, that was just the standard exhaust brake, rather than a retarder, but the Mercs had them linked to the trailer brakes too for some strange reason. It was an empty flat, at that time it probably had no load sensing, so with brakes pulled up nice and tight on the slack adjusters they were a pig when empty, a dab on the exhaust brake and they locked up, the trailer came round and hit the kids, terrible day for all concerned :cry:

On a lioghter note, Andrew, I hear you about the tunnels, I have a video of me giving it the big 'un on the Jakes in a tunnel in West Virginia, I’ll try and put up a link, it sounds totally awesome, had her up to 2000rpm, so it’s a full on machine gun soundtrack :sunglasses: