Jail for danger wagons bosses Mar 16 2005

Jail for danger wagons bosses Mar 16 2005

By Garry Willey, The Newcastle Evening Chronicle

Shamed haulage bosses, William and Stuart Oliver, were today beginning jail sentences for putting profits before safety in a trucking scam.

Drivers at the family-run Northumberland firm skipped rest periods and stayed on the road way beyond European regulations.

The illegal practice gave the company a money-making edge over rivals. Jailing the father and son in charge, Judge Tim Hewitt said the move to flout safety laws had come from the top.

“There’s no doubt that at William Martin Oliver and Partners there was widespread and persistent disregard for regulations covering drivers’ hours and rest periods, and widespread persistent falsifying of tachographs to cover that up,” Judge Hewitt said.

"I’m satisfied this was a culture or a policy to disregard regulations which emanated from the bosses of the company.

“It’s a serious road safety risk giving rise to public danger from these huge 38-tonne vehicles.”

Stuart Oliver, 41, of Leariggs, Bardon Mill, near Hexham, was jailed for 18 months.

William Oliver, 72, of Carrsgate, Bardon Mill, was jailed for nine months. His wife Marion, also 72, was given a six-month jail sentence suspended for 12 months.

They were also ordered to pay costs totalling £587,499.

All three had denied conspiracy to make false entries on driver record sheets but were found guilty.

Judge Hewitt said he accepted all three were of previous good character.

But he warned: "Those who come to court in these circumstances, where serious issues of road safety are concerned, must expect serious consequences.

“This case is at the upper end of the scale.”

He said the trial had heard evidence of some drivers staying on the roads for 48 hours at a time and regularly having only four hours rest between shifts.

At earlier hearings, eight company drivers were jailed and 13 given community sentences for their part in the racket.

Same thing happened down my way. Melvyn Spree the owner of the haulage company got time for forcing his drivers to drive virtually 24 hrs with no break. This resulted in the driver getting killed and car passengers badly injured as there was a horrendous collision due to the truck driver falling asleep at the wheel.

Smudger

why do drivers habitually break the law to line the pockets of their bosses

Thing is, IT AIN’T GONNA STOP!!

Smudger

Davey.

I take it,they are the Olivers of Wm.Oliver near Haltwhistle,the ones that used to run red/white/black & green/white/black MAN’s?

Ken.

that s the ones, but the green/white/black are not wm olivers

Its a sorry state that the drivers were daft enough to run bent in the first place, the 23 convicted will probably not get there licences back for a while, due to losing there good repute, and this family should be barred permanantly from our industry.

good riddence :imp:

jessicas dad:
good riddence :imp:

Well said that man!

duracell:
and this family should be barred permanantly from our industry.

Ken it is the Martin Oliver Company that featured 2 years ago with the drivers being Jailed, it’s took 2 years to bring the Management to Court.

Ironically, the Mother applied for a New O Licence to run under the name “Revilo” just read it is backwards :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Now that she has been sentenced to 12 months but Suspended her repute is definitely out the Window.

It has to be stated though, that some of the offences that the drivers were prosecuted for involved bobtailing to pick a trailer up at the start of a week from the drivers home, no chart was being used as the drivers believed that they were not being paid until hitching the trailer up, well that was their excuse anyway, other offences were fuelling up whilst on a break etc

Think you will find that it was actually the wife of the son that applied for the O license. Apparently it was applied for a couple of years ago
[/quote]

well done that judge…and another rotten apple (s) where they belong…lets hope their out of business as well as out of pocket (by half a million)…but without the drivers to operate illegally…nor can the company…any drivers that are forced (its not in my vocabulary) to work these illegal hours…or companies that allow it…should be grassed up…and put where they belong…but im afraid that the drivers are at the forefront of all of this and they will say ..i earned good money..i couldnt find another job..ive got a mortgage to pay…etc…etc…well how ya going to pay it now the companies gone out the window…unless of course its run under another name…as i always say…show your boss what you think of your licence…protect it…or risk losing it…its your choice.

Maybe I’m wrong.
But a few months before Olivers were found out didn’t one of the truck magazines do an article on them saying how good a company they were and how well they had done to keep in business for so long.
Now we know why!!! :open_mouth:

Well thats one less competitor for Redline Racing then .

think the only way Redline racing would win is if ALL the competitors were taken off the track.

If the head honchos are in jail,then why did I see 2 of their motors at different times today?

It begs the question,who’s now got the ‘O’ licence?

Ken.

Dont think the O License has been taken away yet. I appears they got time to sort out the company so teh press release stated

There is a very old saying,that says, You Reap What You Sow,
and if the persons had not participated in illegal profit makeing
then they would still be free to day to trade as honest, transport firm.
Unfortunatly there are many more out there who have not yet been
caught,but as time goes on these firms will be caught.

has james jones ( green/white/black) not got an o licence as well

So has their truck racing team packed in then?? :wink: