Jacknifing?

Is this a thing of the past?, with the new ABS systems on units and trailers yo dont seem to hear of it happening any more.

:open_mouth: It would be nice if it was a thing of the past. But as soon as there is ice and snow it happens a lot it seems. Remember last year during that snow, jacknives everywhere according to the radio.
Some of these could have been caused by using the exhaust brake or engine brake / retarder. All it takes is for the rear axle of the unit to step out of line. The camber of the road could do that if slippery enough.

I’ve only done it once, it was at low speed & other than to my ego did no damage.
I was turning into a left hand side road from a narrow road, I was on O/S on a bend to make the turn & hit some black ice, (well it was ice & looked black).
I got very gently pushed into the hedge & then spent what felt like a very long time with my trailer blocking one road & my tractor unit another, whilst I got my trailer headboard (& susies) out of a hedge, which is easier said than done with no grip.

oooo very lucky …done it in grimsby with uncle…did alot of damage physically and mentally …broke me leg n my heart lol …

Saw a close one yesterday on the M62. Someone pulling an empty flatbed, turning off for the M60. Luckily the back of the trailer swung towards hard shoulder and the driver managed to control it before it went too far. My guess is that his trailer brakes weren`t very efficient, but full marks to the driver for avoiding what could have been a nasty accident, especially as it was a busy time of the day (0730) I just hope he was going back to his yard to have the defects sorted
Regards
Trev

definietly NOT a thing of the past. All it takes is a badly distributed load, either too much over the back axles of the tractor unit or too much over the axles of the trailer unit, and the load sensing valves can’t function properly causing an incorrect amount of air pressure on the braking system and BANG, the wheels lock.

I had an iccident a while back with an Articulated bus on a roundabout. It was early morning and was pushing it to the limit on a wide open road, Started to slow coming onto the roundabout exactly like I did every other day and the rear end locked and started to spin around to the right… Soon as I came off the brakes it sorted itself up… Pulled up at the next bus stop, Passengers off, U-Turn at next roundabout and took it back to the depot! This was on a dry road, Lightly loaded and the bus was perfectly capable of going round the roundabout at the speed I was doing so I tought something might be up… Probably still not fixed it, knowing the company that owned it! Dont care now as I dont work for them anymore :slight_smile: