jacknife!

bubsy06:
Being born with half a brain cell.
Drive to the conditions and you will have no trouble at all. I think some drivers still continue to drive as if they are on clear tarmac on a sunny summers day, then they jack-knife and [zb] up everyone elses day

a bit harsh! i followed a stobarts on a1 gateshead last week. we was driving to the conditions n he very nearly lost it. he didn’t touch his breaks once but the trailer started to spin the tractor he covered all 3 lanes regaining control but something happened to cause the situation in the first place…

del949:
C/F , at least you understood what I meant :smiley:

I know exactly because if I did’nt I would’nt have survived 15 years of night trunks using 4x2 artics whatever some of the ‘experts’ on here (they know who they are) would like to think. :wink: :smiley: But I don’t think there’s many drivers who would’nt have been defended by the union if they were unlucky enough to be involved in that type of incident.But with idiots like Hammond out there it looks like that’s going to be more difficult in future.

Mr B:

bubsy06:
Drive to the conditions and you will have no trouble at all. I think some drivers still continue to drive as if they are on clear tarmac on a sunny summers day, then they jack-knife and [zb] up everyone elses day

a bit harsh! i followed a stobarts on a1 gateshead last week. we was driving to the conditions n he very nearly lost it. he didn’t touch his breaks once but the trailer started to spin the tractor he covered all 3 lanes regaining control but something happened to cause the situation in the first place…

Not harsh at all, you managed to drive on the same road in the same conditions in basically the same sort of vehicle and you managed fine, so he was doing something wrong to lose control, cant blame it on the vehicle or the conditions if other drivers can manage to actually drive on snow/ice without causing chaos.

bubsy06:

Mr B:

bubsy06:

Not harsh at all, you managed to drive on the same road in the same conditions in basically the same sort of vehicle and you managed fine, so he was doing something wrong to lose control, cant blame it on the vehicle or the conditions if other drivers can manage to actually drive on snow/ice without causing chaos.

yeah i’m sure in hindsight he could identify a fault he made but no way was he driving like a half brain celled lunatic. from my position straight behind i couldn’t fault his driving at all but i was luck y he caught it or i’d have been screwed cos i daren’t brake.

Maybe the cpc should have 7 hours training with rick yemm from ice road truckers, even that idiot is able to drive on sheet ice without j-knifing.

bubsy06:
Maybe the cpc should have 7 hours training with rick yemm from ice road truckers, even that idiot is able to drive on sheet ice without j-knifing.

but we’d all have to have purple hair and look a right ■■■■ lol

Mr B:

bubsy06:

but we’d all have to have purple hair and look a right [zb] lol

Lol, i vote we get training off lisa instead.

Carryfast:

MisterStrood:
This may be caused by equipment failure, improper braking, or adverse road conditions such as an icy road surface. In extreme circumstances, a driver may attempt to deliberately jack knife the vehicle in order to halt it following brake failure.

Simply it is situation when your trailer goes faster than your tractor, it’s much easier to jack-knife with empty trailer than with loaded.
i bet he ■■■■ him self

And something to watch : youtube.com/watch?v=xz1NNTNxxhE
youtube.com/watch?v=7ydqNqtjeOU&NR=1

A loaded trailer will want to go relatively even faster than the unit than a lightly loaded one if it gets the chance in a jacknife type situation because of the laws of mass and inertia.In that context it’s the loaded trailer situation that will be the more likely one to not have a happy ending because of the forces involved.The only difference with a lightly loaded trailer is that there’s less weight on the drive axle so it’s more likely to lose traction or grip.But with a loaded trailer the drive axle has more dynamic sideways forces imposed on it ‘if’ it loses traction or grip,which in the wrong circumstances of road adhesion,is always more of a hazard than a lightly loaded artic jacknifing by comparison.But it’s my guess that the stunt driver throwing the artic around was’nt doing it with a loaded 40+ tonner :question: and the drawbar outfit video seems like a case of trying to solve a problem that does’nt exist,in the same way as artics,if it’s in the context of jacknife issues.

bubsy06:

Mr B:

bubsy06:

No it’s as much,if not more,luck than judgement as to wether tyres lose grip on a slippery surface especially in the case of when it’s loss of traction causing the initial sideways slide at the drive axle just like it’s as much,if not more,luck than judgement that determines what happens next.

The nearest I’ve come to a jack knife was in the early '70’s.
I was just approaching Weeford roundabout from the south on the A5,years before the M6 toll and all the other work that has gone on recently.
I had an Atki with a Gardner 180,running empty in the rain.Even slowing gently using the gearbox,no exhaust brakes in those days,just as I turned onto the roundabout the back wheels lost traction and I felt her start to go,that was without touching the brakes.
I suppose it was instinct,I don’t know,I gave her some gas and she straightened up,but unfortunately I was pointing at the roundabout,WTF,I kept going and drove OVER the roundabout,It was only grass then,and ended up back on the road facing the A5 north.
It all happened so quickly I couldn’t get my head round what had happened.
The only damage was a broken link on my Bostrom seat.
On occasion nowadays,these modern trucks have so much torque it’s easy to get into a jack knife situation when empty.
I find in my usual Axor,when coming off a roundabout in the wet,a little too much gas and the back end will break away.Ease off immediately it’s sensed and she straightens up.

Had a jack-knife on the Antwerp ring road getting on for 20 years ago and wrote off the first vehicle I had as an OD, it was only a Scania so it wasn’t all bad, :wink: and it happened because I was driving like a ■■■■. Learned from it and moved on.

Why is it called jack-knife?

*Cue a hundred different answers :laughing:

merc0447:
Why is it called jack-knife?

*Cue a hundred different answers :laughing:

Because the yanks were having them while we were still sensible enough to be using eight wheeler rigids pulling drawbars.It’s yank for the type of knife which folds up to put in your pocket.

Sir +:
What became of the Hope anti-jacknife device? Sorry if this has been asked before.

Good question. A brilliant idea! We had them fitted to AEC and Leyland rigs on J&J Campbell, London to Scotland night trunks in the mid 1970s.

Only problem was, you couldn’t brake and alter steering while going round corners… not that you should anyway.

britishpathe.com/record.php?id=2309

Tone

yank for the type of knife which folds up to put in your pocket.

gotta be honest “the road was blocked by an artic that had pocket-knifed” doesn’t have the same ring to it.

Coffeeholic:
Had a jack-knife on the Antwerp ring road getting on for 20 years ago and wrote off the first vehicle I had as an OD, it was only a Scania so it wasn’t all bad, :wink: and it happened because I was driving like a ■■■■. Learned from it and moved on.

Very honest of you!

We had a driver jack knife last week, knackered fuel tank and wing damage as far as it looked when the wrecker brought him back.

bestbooties:
The nearest I’ve come to a jack knife was in the early '70’s.
I was just approaching Weeford roundabout from the south on the A5,years before the M6 toll and all the other work that has gone on recently.
I had an Atki with a Gardner 180,running empty in the rain.Even slowing gently using the gearbox,no exhaust brakes in those days,just as I turned onto the roundabout the back wheels lost traction and I felt her start to go,that was without touching the brakes.
I suppose it was instinct,I don’t know,I gave her some gas and she straightened up,but unfortunately I was pointing at the roundabout,WTF,I kept going and drove OVER the roundabout,It was only grass then,and ended up back on the road facing the A5 north.
It all happened so quickly I couldn’t get my head round what had happened.
The only damage was a broken link on my Bostrom seat.
On occasion nowadays,these modern trucks have so much torque it’s easy to get into a jack knife situation when empty.
I find in my usual Axor,when coming off a roundabout in the wet,a little too much gas and the back end will break away.Ease off immediately it’s sensed and she straightens up.

unfortunately in a lot of cases, the natural reaction to feeling the loss of grip is to stop and therefore people automatically hit the brakes which can get them into even more trouble. sometimes accelerating is the answer and other times you should disengage the gears completely which is an option that is increasingly being removed from us thanks to the overwhelming switch to those stupid autos. each and every circumstance is different and instincts have to be spot on because you dont have time to think. you choose your method of correction in a flash and hope to hell it was the right one

Never been involved in one & hope never to be. My personal view is that some, if not most JK’ are caused by faulty trailer brakes and/or faulty drivers.
When the brakes are correctly set up with an artic, as you brake it should slow you from the back.
i.e. The trailer brakes should come on slightly before & with more effort than the unit brakes.
Just the opposite of a rigid vehicle. However, as so many of us know, not every ttailer has those efficient brakes. Drivers pull them, notice the cab diving down/forward when they brake & the lack of retardation, but don’t defect the trailer on brakes. Why?

In slippy conditions, even just in the wet, 6x2 units will easily get pushed out of line at roundabouts. I used to just hit the weight transfer switch as I entered the RAB.

Well I have written about Jacknifing before on this forum, as some have already pointed out a proper jacknife is when the trailer pushes the unit sideways through having more momentum, and the tractor getting out of line while braking, once your truck is braking out of line, the trailer just pushes on through, until it hits the cab, although I have never been in this situation as a driver, I have as a drivers mate, and the one thing I will say is, it happens very fast, like one moment your pointing forwards the next your looking back at the trailer, Alot of people confuse a trailer slide as the same thing, this usally happens when M/T and brakes are a little to well ajusted,or on ice/snow, the other as Ian said when coming off a roundabout, is what I’ve always called a powerslide, used to happen alot on the wet cobbles in dock road Liverpool and at low speed most times, all these scenarios end up with the truck and trailer in the same position or heading that way, but the most frightening is when the trailer takes over the forward momentum, and theres not a thing you can do about it. Hope none of you find yourselves in this position, drive safley.