Jack Richards struggling with emissions

Looks like jack Richards is getting rid of older trucks.
edp24.co.uk/news/iconic-jack … -1-5745141
Do you think they was struggling getting them in to London?

Odd days:

Read the article.

The collection of 11 Jack Richards vehicles dating from 1946 to 2000 went up for sale at an auction at Cheffins in Sutton, near Ely, today.
Collected by Jack Richards himself, with the help of his son Anthony, the collection was completed in 2010 and was housed in a bespoke building near Fakenham and opened to the public as a museum.
However, with the number of visitors to the museum falling, the family reluctantly decided put the collection up for sale.

This surprises me. I can only imagine it was bought new and parked up immediately and still only has delivery mileage on it?

“The highest bid was for a 2000 ERF EC11 38MT 6x2 diesel tractor which sold for £21,730.”

Good news for the lads at Chris Hayters then, new fleet incoming… :smiley:

Norfolkinclue1:
Good news for the lads at Chris Hayters then, new fleet incoming… :smiley:

:laughing:

When I worked for them the museum never seemed to be open and I never managed to look at the collection.

Cronus:

Odd days:

Read the article.

The collection of 11 Jack Richards vehicles dating from 1946 to 2000 went up for sale at an auction at Cheffins in Sutton, near Ely, today.
Collected by Jack Richards himself, with the help of his son Anthony, the collection was completed in 2010 and was housed in a bespoke building near Fakenham and opened to the public as a museum.
However, with the number of visitors to the museum falling, the family reluctantly decided put the collection up for sale.[/quote
It was said tongue in cheek, may be sense of humour is not a Sunday morning thing.

Harry Monk:
This surprises me. I can only imagine it was bought new and parked up immediately and still only has delivery mileage on it?

“The highest bid was for a 2000 ERF EC11 38MT 6x2 diesel tractor which sold for £21,730.”

Was the last Olympic off the line.

Jack Richards had the last ERF made at Sandbach in 2000,it sold for £21750,has anyone any idea how many k’s it had done,Cheffins the auctioneer said 660000 k’s but someone has sent me a text saying it had only done 3000m,it would seem strange to buy the last ERF in the world and then run it like any other wagon in the fleet.

Same happened at Richard Read after he died they sold off a load of old ERFs.

It just reinforces the perception that in so many family firms the old man had a passion for the business and what had earnt him his money, but the subsequent generation are only interested in the shekels and the Rollers.

When I worked there the name of a well known logistics company was mentioned on a couple of occasions and their interest in buying the company in due course.

cav551:
It just reinforces the perception that in so many family firms the old man had a passion for the business and what had earnt him his money, but the subsequent generation are only interested in the shekels and the Rollers.

That has pre-empted what I was going to say, but I’ll say it anyway.

Obviously these trucks were one man’s passion, built up and restored over a lifetime and the sentence “The family were offering the collection for sale due to continued business expansion.” suggests that they saw the Old Man’s passion as an impediment to the profit they could make out of the museum space.

agreed

Harry Monk:

cav551:

That has pre-empted what I was going to say, but I’ll say it anyway.

Obviously these trucks were one man’s passion, built up and restored over a lifetime and the sentence “The family were offering the collection for sale due to continued business expansion.” suggests that they saw the Old Man’s passion as an impediment to the profit they could make out of the museum space.

hmm…my family don’t share my passion for old motorcycles,and they will no doubt be sold off when the time comes!
although my son has expressed an interest in my Triumph Herald! :smiley:

carryfast-yeti:
hmm…my family don’t share my passion for old motorcycles,and they will no doubt be sold off when the time comes!
although my son has expressed an interest in my Triumph Herald! :smiley:

I put in my current will that all my cars and garages full of parts goes to one of my brothers who shares an interest in cars as well.

If it was up to my mother she would probably pay someone to take my cars away: 2x Corrado VR6, 1982 Polo hill climb car, Mk2 Golf 16v, IS200, Jap import Altezza RS200 and two garages of spares :open_mouth:

cav551:

Think what you will of Stobarts but at least they are happy to maintain a fleet of older vehicles as a trip to the Glass house at Crick will demonstrate.

Think they’ve got a couple of old ones at the training academy in Widnes too…

Arthurhucksake:

What do you mean by ‘old’ ■■ pre bridge strike maybe …

raymundo:

Arthurhucksake:

What do you mean by ‘old’ ■■ pre bridge strike maybe …

No old as in from the days when they actually had a good reputation and were well run which many an old timer on there will tell you they once were - no longer alas.

A sad occasion for sure, I went to the viewing day as I was dropping some other lots off, the Richards stuff was amazing - they must have spent a fortune on each vehicle, I’m sure the costs of restoration would have exceeded the sale prices for sure.

EC11 was nice and the bloke who bought it drove it home, we passed him on the M25!