J Miles ofLeeds

Hi
On Flickr their are some photos of some old 60s/70s furniture vans of a firm called J Miles of Leeds (furniture removals) does anyone know anything about the firm and what became of them?

they used to be at stanningley,they gave up years ago but their motors were left parked up in their yard for years and years.think they have just been moved,but i might be wrong.

Hi
Thanks for the reply, the photos i have seen looks like the scrapmen are clearing the yard

and they was an old jag in there they used to rent the warehouse out but all the trucks and cars were just rotting in the yard

Just googled them and there is a website for them so still might be going. Based in Town St Stanningly.

Must admit when i ran GB Liners in Leeds we would come up against them but that is going back 14 ish years ago…things might have changed

For those of you who haven’t read their website the ‘About you’ might be interesting.

Quote Jeff Miles comes from a large Leeds family and has lived and worked in leeds all his life. He heads one of the oldest independant Removals and Shipping Firms in the country. Dealing with Exports and Imports on a Worldwide basis. The red vans with the slogan “THE BEST BY MILES” will be a familar sight to most Leeds people.

Many of his interests are associated with Transport and the Transport Industry. He is a long standing member of the insitute of Transport, and serves on The Leeds Centre Committee. He is also a member of the institute of Removers and Storers, representing them and studying transport extensively in Europe and North America. Away from business his interests include collecting and restoring Old British Cars and Lorries, Property Renovations, and UK Stamp and Coin Collecting end of quote.

Correct me if I’m wrong but before BAR there were two sister organisations ‘The Institute of Removers and Storers’ which was basicly for training and I think it was called 'The National Association or somethin similar. In the mid sixties I , as an individual joined ‘The Institute’ and our company was of course a member of the other part. I took a correspdence course and followed with their Estimators examination. The two oganisations were eventually joined together into the British Association of Removers (BAR). I was chairman of the Nothern Area of BAR in te early eighties, and so I know the BAR was and had been formed certainly at the latest in the seventies.

Reading this website made me feel like the character in ‘Life on Mars’ the TV series that went back in time. I know I have been out of the trade for many years now but I am sure BAR is still the Removers Association. Perhaps someone can either put me right or confirm what I am saying.

Carl Williams:
For those of you who haven’t read their website the ‘About you’ might be interesting.

Quote Jeff Miles comes from a large Leeds family and has lived and worked in leeds all his life. He heads one of the oldest independant Removals and Shipping Firms in the country. Dealing with Exports and Imports on a Worldwide basis. The red vans with the slogan “THE BEST BY MILES” will be a familar sight to most Leeds people.

Many of his interests are associated with Transport and the Transport Industry. He is a long standing member of the insitute of Transport, and serves on The Leeds Centre Committee. He is also a member of the institute of Removers and Storers, representing them and studying transport extensively in Europe and North America. Away from business his interests include collecting and restoring Old British Cars and Lorries, Property Renovations, and UK Stamp and Coin Collecting end of quote.

Correct me if I’m wrong but before BAR there were two sister organisations ‘The Institute of Removers and Storers’ which was basicly for training and I think it was called 'The National Association or somethin similar. In the mid sixties I , as an individual joined ‘The Institute’ and our company was of course a member of the other part. I took a correspdence course and followed with their Estimators examination. The two oganisations were eventually joined together into the British Association of Removers (BAR). I was chairman of the Nothern Area of BAR in te early eighties, and so I know the BAR was and had been formed certainly at the latest in the seventies.

Reading this website made me feel like the character in ‘Life on Mars’ the TV series that went back in time. I know I have been out of the trade for many years now but I am sure BAR is still the Removers Association. Perhaps someone can either put me right or confirm what I am saying.

The other organisation was the National Association of Furniture Removers and Warehousemen. . .I think :neutral_face:

Suedehead:

Carl Williams:

The other organisation was the National Association of Furniture Removers and Warehousemen. . .I think :neutral_face:

Yes that is right. So how come today, according to their website is he an active member of an organisation that ended about 40 years ago?