J & E Transport. Haslingden

Anyone with any pics, history,or used to work for them and where are they now or what are they doing,i believe that they also ran a car dealership somewhere. :slight_smile:

shirtbox2003:
Anyone with any pics, history,or used to work for them and where are they now or what are they doing,i believe that they also ran a car dealership somewhere. :slight_smile:

I am with you on this one , they must have run one of the smartest fleets ever !!! , far outweighing any of the fleets on the road now , a real haulier , with real drivers , any information and photographs would certainly be welcome .

I have this photo of one AEC which once belonged to J&E Transport.I do believe moomooland (Paul) may have 1 or 2 on his Northwest site.
The yard they had at Haslingden was demolished years ago and they built apartments on the land which are still there.

Just found this photo which I believe belongs to Moomooland (Paul) I dont think he will mind me adding it to this thread :slight_smile:

4086886065_75083b3955_z.jpg

That’s a great shot of the J & E Ergo Mercury,if I could have afforded one when I got my first “A” licence in '68 that’s the motor I would have bought.I did consider a Mercury tractor unit when I got my second “A” licence in '69 to run at 26 ton GVW but finance again dictated otherwise :wink: Cheers Bewick.PS My old pal from Penrith, George Holliday used to work “hand in glove” with J & E for a number of years eventually opening his own depot in Rossendale.

shirtbox2003:

There are a couple on FLICKR, if you type j e transport in search box.
Regards John.

Bewick:
That’s a great shot of the J & E Ergo Mercury,if I could have afforded one when I got my first “A” licence in '68 that’s the motor I would have bought.I did consider a Mercury tractor unit when I got my second “A” licence in '69 to run at 26 ton GVW but finance again dictated otherwise :wink: Cheers Bewick.PS My old pal from Penrith, George Holliday used to work “hand in glove” with J & E for a number of years eventually opening his own depot in Rossendale.

From your comments " Bewick " I take it that an AEC Mercury was a hauliers motor of desire at the time in the same way as Scania/Volvo are today , how did they compare in price against other makes of the time , ie Leyland , ERF , Atkinson etc .You mention George Holliday , I can recall seen a fleet with the name of Bell-Holliday Transport I take it there was some connection ? .

Found on Flickr (photo by F Hylton)
J&E Transport line up at Haslingden depot.jpg
Dont know who this photo belongs to.
J&E Transport Morris.jpg

Keep them coming guys. :slight_smile:

shugg:

Bewick:

From your comments " Bewick " I take it that an AEC Mercury was a hauliers motor of desire at the time in the same way as Scania/Volvo are today , how did they compare in price against other makes of the time , ie Leyland , ERF , Atkinson etc .You mention George Holliday , I can recall seen a fleet with the name of Bell-Holliday Transport I take it there was some connection ? .

I can’t just recall the exact price differential but the AEC was similarly priced to the ERF and Atkinson so compared to say a Ford D1000 or Bedford KM you were talking of £1200/1500 more for the premium chassis.Regarding George Holliday well he finished the first time and IIRC Barnett & Graham aquired the firm but George went into partnership with Geoff Bell at Carlisle Truck Stop as Bell–Holliday.When they parted company George returned to Penrith and started again as G. W. Holliday with his depot on Gilwilly estate where his previous depot had been located.His original base was at Catterlen just north of Penrith. He eventually retired and sold up at auction and has sadly now passed away.I knew him for many years,always a good craic even though he had his share of set backs he always managed to bounce back ! he sure was an old time Penrith haulier his father having ran a two vehicle livestock haulage business in the 50’s.cheers Bewick.

I know 2 lads who used to drive for em, Kenny Smith he’s got his own trucks now and has something to do with restoring old j+e lorry, he put pictures on face book the other week, the other guy I know is Terry Ford who owns t c transport out of bury, I ll speak to em about this thread and see if they can get some pics up.

The list price for an 18’ wheelbase Mercury in 1969 was £3150 that’s a standard chassis.RTF510G that my dad bought at the time should never have left Southall but that was the exception ,they were the stand out 16 tonner of the time, by far.

I think George Holiday’s first transport manager was a ex J.&E.man who moved up to Penrith probably early 70’s,could have been called Alan but I’m not sure but he was “broad” East lancs !! Bewick.

When J&E had a depot in Dundee the manager there was a guy called Ridgeway , following the closure of J&E he went on to form his own transport company named PS Ridgeway Ltd which is still a very well respected haulier in Dundee .