J Barrett, of Delph and Beresford ERFs

Hello fellow anoraks, im after some pics of stoke haulier Beresford International,(now absorbed into the Bassets group), if anybody can post some it would very kind!!. And i have another request!!, has anybody out ther have any pictures of the famous Barretts of Delph fleet??, i have long admired the old ERFs and other assorted british motors they run, and they still have at least 2 C series ERFs running today! Hope somone can help me out with that lot, cheers, staight eight.

look on www.euro-wheels.com there are loads of beresfords on the 70s section

bugger a thought i had one in photobucket already will sort it out tommorow :sunglasses:

STRAIGHT EIGHT:
Hello fellow anoraks, im after some pics of stoke haulier Beresford International,(now absorbed into the Bassets group), if anybody can post some it would very kind!!. And i have another request!!, has anybody out ther have any pictures of the famous Barretts of Delph fleet??, i have long admired the old ERFs and other assorted british motors they run, and they still have at least 2 C series ERFs running today! Hope somone can help me out with that lot, cheers, staight eight.

Straight 8 have a look on the Stoke-On-Trent Hauliers thread I put quite a few on there and have many more mainly took from visits I made up there in the mid 80’s.If you need any more info pm me as I’m an Essex Boy too .

Cheers Rob, nice period shots there mate!,

STRAIGHT EIGHT:
has anybody out ther have any pictures of the famous Barretts of Delph fleet??, i have long admired the old ERFs and other assorted british motors they run, and they still have at least 2 C series ERFs running today!

One of Barretts old Atkinsons climbing the steep hill next to Greenfield railway station.

Thanks for posting - I live very near to where the photo was taken in Greenfield.

There used to be a company in Greenfield with maroon waggons in a tiny yard in the middle of the village. They went a couple of years ago. I don’t know if they relocated. I forget the name (although Butterworth’s rings a bell)

Edit : It was A&J Butterworth’s. I found this website which suggests they stopped in 2006.
webstarter.netbenefit.com/users/ … rth.co.uk/

Barretts are now in Oldham running oldish ERF’s.

Tim

i’m suprised there not still running that.aki…

It couldn’t b in any worse nick than that C series they av on the tanks :smiley: :smiley:

Barretts ‘Pennine Defender’ ERF and tanker in Ramsbottom

Nice clear pic’s mate keep um coming :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

i some times see tha erf in diapers in kirby loading latex, pulled off infront of me the other week, let off a nice growl ! spoke to the driver an he said the boss buys new engines (or re-con) instead of buyin a motor says it works out cheaper which in fairness sounds right

moomooland:

STRAIGHT EIGHT:
has anybody out ther have any pictures of the famous Barretts of Delph fleet??, i have long admired the old ERFs and other assorted british motors they run, and they still have at least 2 C series ERFs running today!

One of Barretts old Atkinsons climbing the steep hill next to Greenfield railway station.

Yeah and going a lot better than the little tin snail going down the hill :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Nice pics moomoo, thats what we like to see!! old motors still doin the buisness :smiley: :smiley:

To refer back to Beresfords ERFs for a moment, about 3 years ago I nearly bought an ex-Beresfords B-Series which had just come out of service with a fairground operator. Instead of the Eaton back end it had a double drive grafted onto it which apparently had come from an LV. The 8LXB sounded as good as any I’d heard for a while. The trouble was - I had nowhere to put the damned thing. I believe it did sell, but whether it was broken for the engine I don’t know. It was a P-reg and had some history; apparently it had been on the ERF stand at the Scottish motor show - whether that was true I don’t know.

Sounds like an intresting motor Marky, me and my mate wanted to by an 8pot B series a couple of years ago but there was no decent examples about, now we’re skint and we seem to see them for sale every month! bloody typical :frowning:

one of barretts new motors ! they get slated but they just keep going mechanically they are supposed to be spot on

Hi Leematt, yes mate they will be spot on if Colin Barrett has anything to do with’em!!! That man is a bit of a wizard with anything mechanical and them old motors will last as long as he wants them to. He’s from that ‘old school’ that breeds men like him and John Killingbeck, i just hope he carries on passing that mechanical skill and knowlage down to younger generations, as they are becoming increasingly rare!!

colin is top man on the tools i had a spell at barretts driving erf the pennine ranger good set of lads i was lets say a little green at time good place for training very helpfull lads yes old school ,wagons well serviced oil change fillters i have seen colin in action on tools top man would just listen to engine and tell you problem there you go i think driver steve is still there and othere driver would help and give good tips advice ie tanker sheeting loading wheni was there as where the othere lads, was tempted away to drive top daf bad move nice new wagon but whent around clock ?

fodens123:
colin is top man on the tools i had a spell at barretts driving erf the pennine ranger good set of lads i was lets say a little green at time good place for training very helpfull lads yes old school ,wagons well serviced oil change fillters i have seen colin in action on tools top man would just listen to engine and tell you problem there you go i think driver steve is still there and othere driver would help and give good tips advice ie tanker sheeting loading wheni was there as where the othere lads, was tempted away to drive top daf bad move nice new wagon but whent around clock ?

Do you remember the ‘Atkinson Viewline’ tractor unit Reg WWT 909G was bought second hand off Robert Fletcher’s at Greenfield?