Iveco V8

I was wondering if anyone has experience with a 520 Eurostar as I’m looking at buying one and don’t know a lot about the MPG and the S.M.A.T semi auto box they had,I did have a work colleague (Steve Brassington) who had one in Stoke pulling out of Frans Mass but haven’t spoke to him in over 8 years, also I saw that an A S Taylor driver uses this site I’m sure they had one for a bit any help would be appreciated chaps ,over

“Bullet” Ian used to have one and he had no end of problems with his. Cost him a small fortune. He is/was based in Newcastle-u-Lyme last time I heard.

the ones a s taylor had were relativley trouble free and would pull a house down mechanicly very good but the body work as you proberly know aint great on em as they tend to rust :wink:

The S M A T gearbox is actually just an Eaton twin splitter with a fancy bit on top that selects the gears and can be converted back to manual by one guy I know. It makes the smoothest changing T/S I have ever known because it has been run in without any crashing or crunching. The 520 is a beast alright, but MPG depends a lot on the driver. If you love the sound of it barking away and want to be the fastest guy up every hill, well something has to suffer and it will be your diesel account. However, you will never get a free pass to join green peace as a shining example of frugality no matter how careful you try to drive one. Better suited to continental or special type haulage where you are offering a special service rather than trying to compete with everyone else with more economical motors.

Rob K:
“Bullet” Ian used to have one and he had no end of problems with his. Cost him a small fortune. He is/was based in Newcastle-u-Lyme last time I heard.

I think he just liked the food on the ferry :stuck_out_tongue: Was it 5 trips backwards and forwards while they got it fixed

Wheel Nut:

Rob K:

I think he just liked the food on the ferry :stuck_out_tongue: Was it 5 trips backwards and forwards while they got it fixed

PMSL :laughing: :laughing: . I’d forgotten all about that !!! The forum is not the same without him ! :frowning:

I already had an Idea that the Box was a twin splitter with some magic box on top as I was talking to the MD of Chamberlins (Crewe area) and they ran the SMAT in ERF’s and converted them back to standard PDQ I spoke to IVECO dealer in Manchester and the Master Technician(Oldest Guy in workshop) said a guy in Birmingham converts them for about £1000 ,as for the Diesel It would only ever be me driving and as its MY pocket it affects I would be “Hoping” to get 8-9ish MPG
I pull fridges with not alot of weight just on M-way work and just want a project to mess with as I wont be looking for work everyday

When AS Jones were running out of Bromboro, (the P&O flagged tankers) they were using the SAMT gearbox in their ERF fleet. It was as already mentioned just an automated Eaton Twin Splitter. It is because of this masterpiece of engineering that you now have things like I Shift and Astronic boxes.

I think you are being a bit optimistic expecting 8 - 9ish mpg. My mate ran a couple of 480 Turbostars and his fuel was nearer 5 when pulling flat trailers, mind you, they were not limited

Big Dorris:
I already had an Idea that the Box was a twin splitter with some magic box on top as I was talking to the MD of Chamberlins (Crewe area) and they ran the SMAT in ERF’s and converted them back to standard PDQ I spoke to IVECO dealer in Manchester and the Master Technician(Oldest Guy in workshop) said a guy in Birmingham converts them for about £1000 ,as for the Diesel It would only ever be me driving and as its MY pocket it affects I would be “Hoping” to get 8-9ish MPG
I pull fridges with not alot of weight just on M-way work and just want a project to mess with as I wont be looking for work everyday

Just currious if not pullin a lot of weight why get a 520 V8?
with the price of fuel would u not be better getting a 450/470 ish, on motorways should give you your 8mpg? possibly the 9!

Fallmonk:

Big Dorris:

Just currious if not pullin a lot of weight why get a 520 V8?
with the price of fuel would u not be better getting a 450/470 ish, on motorways should give you your 8mpg? possibly the 9!

Cos he’s a glory boy !

A 470 Eurostar will top most on fuel figures if you get a good one. If it pulls like a train it’s OK, if it feels flat, forget it, it will never do more than about 8mpg.