iveco turbostar

pete 359:
what a pair :laughing: tipcon harrogate 1988 :sunglasses: .

anybody got more info on these as they have Stoke area reg plate :question:

cheers
gaz

Evening all, you know the oddest things come into your mind when you are “freewheeling”, I was happily plodding up and down muckspreading on a field this morning when I remembered a business trip to Hungarocamion, in the cold winter of 1978. I had a meeting with Imre Torma, then the head man at Hungarocamion, from I think about 76. A very personable and likeable man, and the bulk of our conversations were in English. Amongst the mix of Rabas, Mercedes, were both Berliet, and Fiat. We were obviously keen to increase the French share, but I was intreagued about a proposition that Fiat had made to the Hungarians. They already operated examples of the 190.35, but had a requirement for a 250/280hp unit, similar to the Berliet,(Renault) TR280. Fiat could offer the inline 6cylinder 8210 13.79litre, but had proposed a V6 @approx 260hp. 12.9litre. Where did this engine come from? It was the 17.2litre 8280 with one bank of cylinders removed! Thus the large Eastern European fleets, (predominatly Hungrocamion and Pekaes), would not have to extend their parts inventories, both engines having common components. Today it is difficult to imagine what important customers these eastern bloc fleets were, but the European market was flat, Factories were producing, but not selling, so stock had to be cleared! An example of this engine was shown at the 1979 Turin show, and looked good, At the same show was a factory twin steer, fitted with this engine for 42/44tonne Italian operation, but I do not know how many were actually produced. Does anyone have knowledge? The President of Iveco at this time was the former PDG, at Trappes, Ing Vendamme, a Frenchman with some considerable drive. Although the Italian market was flat, and in volume terms small, MAN were introducing a Turbo V10 @405HP, Bedford it`s V8 Detroit, Mercedes a naturally aspirated V12,us with a 360hp version of the BerlietV8. Why all this activity, well Italy was demanding 8bhp per tonne, but of course Vendamme could offer the (Fiat/Unic) V8 at360, and then 380hp. Interesting market place the Italian one, (far more interesting than muck spreading)!! Cheerio for now.

kr79:
What a sad world we live in.

Why because Drivers are talking about a powerful truck from a few years ago, i never drove one i started on a d700 wet my pants on a d900 cried to my mum on a AEC Mandator thrilled my new wife in a Marathron and in a 142 then in my own 141 could not belive the space in my own Eurostar, sad well this is a site for Truck Drivers

019.JPG

Hi all here’s an Iveco model I’ve done of R&A Freight of Southampton.

Regards Jimski

Through I would bring this back

Turbostar 190.142 V8 Fuller 13.jpg

Turbostar I found lurking in Palermo, Sicily. Robert

nice pics of them ol beasts had one for while ye the first in uk were a bulk tipper company from east Anglia they were on front cover of one truck mags

Not a Turbostar, but an early 170.NT26

You’ve probably seen these on other threads.

And this one as well…

Jeff…

Hi, Here’s an article Tim Blakemore did after a visit to our yard.

Regards Richard

Russell Davies Distribution on contract to Finntransit (ENSO) paper 190.36 twinsplitter
138.jpg

I spotted near merano last week

youtu.be/t9tHZYWOvVg

youtu.be/hHa_-cDGGoY

in Germany recently

We had six of these in the late 80s three with rear tags and three 4 x 2 s ,all were 360s apart from 1 that was a 480 and they were very good vehicles engine /gearbox wise but the cabs werent too good cramped and poorly put together. Four had the 13 speed Fuller and 2 had the twin splitter ,the 480 was a big motor in those days :wink:

Hi all td Williams ran a lot of turbo stars in the 80.s & 90.s I drove the one in the first pic I loved them ivecos they were good trucks the one with yarn standing in front was on continental work he had a bit of a accident and damaged the front cheers John. (Ps all these shots courtesy of Ron weatherall )

image.jpeg