Iveco Stralis Rear Suspension to high

Hi
I have a 2007 rigid Stralis. The rear air suspension is to high and if I re set it with the ECAS memory to a lower height when I press the auto button it just returns to where it was (to high) so there must be something either mechanical or electric sensor telling what height to set itself to. I was wondering if anyone know if there is an adjustment maybe near the rear wheels or has it got to go to Iveco to be set. Thanks in advance

Are you just wanting to recalibrate the ride height or has it suddenly started raising too high?

Sounds like one of the digital counters has over ridden/or gone west.

Disconnect one and it should go to default height and put a fault code up.
Check that one or other has not gone “sloppy” or got water into it.

If you fit a new counter make sure you fit it in the right position.

Sometimes if you pull the unit from under a laden trailer and dont dump some air the “bounce” from the air bags cause the counters to jump outside their parameters as the chassis rises and you have to reset the ride height as they cant reset as they then cant calculate the chassis height.

Need diagnostic machine and a couple of blocks of wood to reset the parameters.

i

Sorry just noticed its a rigid but if you move one with the bags inflated fully and hit a bump or brake hard when fully inflated this can take the counters out of range as well.

They only have a range of about 30 degrees.

if the ride height has suddenly jumped to a different level it could be a level sensor fault but that should bring on the warning light. if there is no warning on the dash it wouldnt be a bad idea to have it plugged in. have seen the odd one decide to self calibrate.
adjusting the arms is more trouble than its worth. they should sit almost horizontal when its at the standard height.

Hi
Sorry only just got back to computer. Thanks for your replies. I had a crane fitted to the truck and since then its 100mm higher at the back. Is the adjusters what I can see near the airbags? like long rocker arms. There are no warning lights on in the dash so the truck must think its in the right position even though its high.

On the tractor units there are two or three ride height settings I belive 60 ,80, and 90 I think , probably for height critical continental work , different tyre heights etc, resetting is a 15 minute job in Iveco with lap top and the correct height of block required .
This will not have any warning lights showing on the dash .

You will either have 1 or 2 height sensors ,I don’t know what set up Iveco use…They will be bolted to the chassis 1 either side ,You should see a long arm and at the end of it there will be a rod connected to the axle …Make sure 1 hasn’t come loose…As mentioned earlier if it requires calibrating then it is a dealer job, all going well it is generally a quick job…As said in previous posts it is probably reading incorrectly .Again this should be easy to check at the dealer

Hiab4hire:
Hi
Sorry only just got back to computer. Thanks for your replies. I had a crane fitted to the truck and since then its 100mm higher at the back. Is the adjusters what I can see near the airbags? like long rocker arms. There are no warning lights on in the dash so the truck must think its in the right position even though its high.

Where’s the crain been fitted…
Go get the suspension re checked / set

Hi
Thanks for replies. I have found 2 like rod adjusters one on each side so going to look tomorrow. The Crane was fitted behind the cab, it did have one at the back before so maybe that’s the problem. I have spoken to local dealer who to be honest isn’t to helpful, he said maybe it need a re calibration but he said he didn’t see why it should. One more thing does anyone know what ECAS warning 1c means. It come up in yellow sometimes.
Many thanks

The warning you get will be your issue…Technically when it is calibrated that should be it …You really need to get that code read

Hiab4hire:
Hi
Thanks for replies. I have found 2 like rod adjusters one on each side so going to look tomorrow. The Crane was fitted behind the cab, it did have one at the back before so maybe that’s the problem. I have spoken to local dealer who to be honest isn’t to helpful, he said maybe it need a re calibration but he said he didn’t see why it should. One more thing does anyone know what ECAS warning 1c means. It come up in yellow sometimes.
Many thanks

when you say it was fitted at the back before do you mean on the arse end ? if so that’s your problem . get it re calibrated

Hi
Yes the arse end!! I did tell the dealer but he thought no difference but I agree with you in would be different. I will book it in many thanks

I’m wondering if this has got a lift axle and this is causing the problem. Obviously in the normal course of events you should be able to add and subtract load and it sort itself out but I think if there’s a lift axle bag pressure data plays more of a part. I’m also thinking this as you ought to be able to set a lower height into memory ordinarily albeit with a warning light staying on the dash. 1C is open circuit on a pressure sensor I think so it is either duff or disconnected or some wiring to it has rubbed through somewhere in the loom.

As has been mentioned don’t fiddle with the ride height arms get it properly recalibrated. It’s less of an issue on trucks where the tank pressure isn’t quite enough but on 4x4 and vans that use an electric compressor if you fiddle with the ride height arms the compressor keeps filling the bag until it explodes quite dangerously. It might be worth looking what sort of angle the arms are at though. Hopefully the fault code is for a duff sensor/wiring. A scenario of welding on chassis and frying ECU is at the back of my mind, there’s a lot of obvious stuff to rule out so pretty far at the back of my mind but I have seen a lot of vehicles that after having plant fitted have developed mysterious electrical system gremlins.

Hi
Think I will take and have it calibrated and let th read the codes. Thanks for your replies

1C is pressure switch low voltage/open circuit so I would be inclined to have a quick check a connector has not just come loose. On the metal dishes on top of the air bags you should be able to see them they are a bayonet type fitting with a twisting collar to secure on top of a stubby metal cylinder. There will be a thinner connection too but that will be the air supply.