IVECO STRALIS - Exhaust Brake Operation

Sorry if this has already been spoken about! However, please could somebody “educate” me in the correct use of the exhaust brake operation on a Iveco Stralis. They have the stalk on the right hand side with the two settings, 1st click and 2nd click!! When I did my couple of training days the trainer went over it very briefly with me.

As far as I understand, approaching a downhill descent or junction etc, you pull lever towards you one click, and exhaust brake kicks in, the trainer informed me that when it revs up, pull lever upwards which knocks it a gear up, however is this correct as surely you want to be going down through the gears to reduce the speed!?

If on really steep descent, pull it back to 2nd click/setting and same procedure, if revs up then pull lever upwards!■■

Is this correct operation!? Hopefully this makes sense!!? I just want to confirm really that you pull lever upwards when it revs up!? As it doesn’t quite make sense as like i say that knocks it UP a gear!! When surely you want to be coming down the gears!?

Sorry if this quite daft but just want to make sure as not really covered exhaust brakes too much!!

Many thanks

I drive a Iveco , I find the one click down does the job. Mine is only a flatbed rigid but when fully loaded it works a treat.

When I finish a descent , I just click it back up to turn it off and put my foot back on the gas.

It should knock it down a gear and go up to like 15000 revs.
Hope this helps

1 click “brakes” when you brake
2 clicks “brakes” when you take your foot of the accelerator, i’m led to believe :slight_smile:

But in regards to the “pulling” lever upwards when it “over-revs” is that correct? As it effectively increases the gear rather than decreases the gear!

Does that make sense!?

Sounds like an auto, don’t worry about it dropping a gear and sending the revs up, its meant to do that. The exhaust brake uses the exhaust gases to slow the engine so the higher the revs the more gas you make. IIRC on the Iveccos, one click down is to activate it, two clicks applies the brake when you lift off. I had an MAN once that applied the exhaust brake at the same time when you pressed the foot brake.

My Renualt has a three stage exhaust brake. Stage one is a light one, stage two ups the pressure, stage three is where it drops a gear. If I plan it right, I can slow myself down enough on the approach to a roundabout to make a decision without even needing to use the foot brake.

Cheers Radar19, so on that, when it sends the revs up should I just allow the revs to come back down on there own or pull the lever towards me as the “trainer” said to, as I don’t think you should be knocking it up a gear when you are trying to slow down!!!

I hope the point I making makes sense!!

Claretmac:
Cheers Radar19, so on that, when it sends the revs up should I just allow the revs to come back down on there own or pull the lever towards me as the “trainer” said to, as I don’t think you should be knocking it up a gear when you are trying to slow down!!!

I hope the point I making makes sense!!

Just let the engine do its thing, as the revs drop the truck will drop a gear to increase the revs which in turn increases the exhaust gases. There is no need to manually force up a gear if anything you’d want to get it to drop a gear. Normally on the rev counter there is a blue section, this is the section where the revs will be if you are using the exhaust brake.