Iveco stralis 500 08 plate

Thinking of buying one anybody give me any advice on them , want to no how they run what are parts like , fuel mpg

I had a 56 plate prepoduction 13 litre cursor 500 stralis when working for arcese.it had the new engine with adblue the new 12 speed auto new mirrors with the old cab and interior.it was a very powerful torquey engine,a lot quieter than the 10 litre 450 however you will loose at least 1 mpg when up against the 450 cursor 10.even when brand new these trucks can be trouble but then they are cheaper to buy.

My firm still has a few of them & when i go in & see Iveco keys on my running sheet,i am heartbroken,come to a roundabout,foot down to go & nothing,an eternity later when something is coming,they wanna go. Same reversing on a bay,have lost count of how many times my neck has been broken. Save pennies & buy decent. Buy cheap & buy twice !

Its not a deal I would rush into.

John.c.1474:
My firm still has a few of them & when i go in & see Iveco keys on my running sheet,i am heartbroken,come to a roundabout,foot down to go & nothing,an eternity later when something is coming,they wanna go. Same reversing on a bay,have lost count of how many times my neck has been broken. Save pennies & buy decent. Buy cheap & buy twice !

if you keep you finger on the gear selector button for 2 seconds it switches into slow, then you will have no problems getting onto a bay. there is a certain way to drive them if you not been taught correctly you might struggle, my 450 will out run our scania 620 opicruise from a standing start, as for roundabout as you approach just kick the throttle down once and it will change down so you can pull straight off no problems, much prefer the strais to the scania better living space when away all week. to be honest they are a one driver truck as the gearbox learns how you drive and as all driver drive differently that can cause a headache :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

wildfire:

John.c.1474:

if you keep you finger on the gear selector button for 2 seconds it switches into slow, then you will have no problems getting onto a bay. there is a certain way to drive them if you not been taught correctly you might struggle, my 450 will out run our scania 620 opicruise from a standing start, as for roundabout as you approach just kick the throttle down once and it will change down so you can pull straight off no problems, much prefer the strais to the scania better living space when away all week. to be honest they are a one driver truck as the gearbox learns how you drive and as all driver drive differently that can cause a headache

plus 1 ,I am not the biggest Iveco fan ,but there isn’t truly a bad truck on the market .a lot of it is down to badge snobbery,afteall they are the only manufacturr to reach Euro6 with SCR only…The ZF AS-TRONIC isn’t the best set up.but a lot of drivers ,don’t know how to use it and it is an easy excuse to cover incompetence.If you read the road properly coming to a junction then it isn’t a problem ,Have been there seen it made an ■■■ of it and learned …Reverse is another story :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

norb:

wildfire:

John.c.1474:

if you keep you finger on the gear selector button for 2 seconds it switches into slow, then you will have no problems getting onto a bay. there is a certain way to drive them if you not been taught correctly you might struggle, my 450 will out run our scania 620 opicruise from a standing start, as for roundabout as you approach just kick the throttle down once and it will change down so you can pull straight off no problems, much prefer the strais to the scania better living space when away all week. to be honest they are a one driver truck as the gearbox learns how you drive and as all driver drive differently that can cause a headache

plus 1 ,I am not the biggest Iveco fan ,but there isn’t truly a bad truck on the market .a lot of it is down to badge snobbery,afteall they are the only manufacturr to reach Euro6 with SCR only…The ZF AS-TRONIC isn’t the best set up.but a lot of drivers ,don’t know how to use it and it is an easy excuse to cover incompetence.If you read the road properly coming to a junction then it isn’t a problem ,Have been there seen it made an ■■■ of it and learned …Reverse is another story :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I had four Stralis’ssss, an 04,54,05 and a 55 plate, all 540s and they were all good lorries, I drove them all at some point, the 05 more than most and I never had any gearbox issues at roundabouts or similar, maybe because I always use the engine brake as much as possible, so I was in the right gear on the approach :bulb:

I did a bit of Tesco work with them and delivering to the stores was no problem and they are not the easiest of places to move around in, I never wished I had a clutch, put it that way :sunglasses:

They were good on fuel, the cab was very nicely appointed and I ran mine day, night and weekends, each lorry had three assigned drivers, a day man, a night man and a weekend man, they held up pretty well, I never had any complaints from them after they’d driven them up a hill for the first time and watched everything get smaller in the mirrors :laughing:

I sold up and moved overseas, but if I was back in the UK, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another Stralis, a very under rated lorry IMHO, especially now that they are the only ones without a DPF to meet Euro6 :wink:

We have a few 6x2 Stralis500s and the one 4x2 560 (She’s an animal for poke :exclamation: :exclamation: ) in the fleet,
I find them decent enough to drive and have no bother with the gearbox.

They do have some annoying “pain in the arse” foibles if your not driving them on a reg basis IE:

Switching the bloody cat-walk light off every time you turn off the ignition. :cry:

The bloody “ding ding ding” from the dash ref warnings that continues on for the 1st 20mins of driving when in reality there is nothing wrong with the bloody trailer brake lights/number plate light/left hand indicator etc etc :exclamation: :exclamation: :unamused:

Big Truck:
We have a few 6x2 Stralis500s and the one 4x2 560 (She’s an animal for poke :exclamation: :exclamation: ) in the fleet,
I find them decent enough to drive and have no bother with the gearbox.

They do have some annoying “pain in the arse” foibles if your not driving them on a reg basis IE:

Switching the bloody cat-walk light off every time you turn off the ignition. :cry:

The bloody “ding ding ding” from the dash ref warnings that continues on for the 1st 20mins of driving when in reality there is nothing wrong with the bloody trailer brake lights/number plate light/left hand indicator etc etc :exclamation: :exclamation: :unamused:

that was a trait of the eurotech n eurostar, beep da bloody beep, or if brokendown garage calls you tells you too stick your hand down side of bed and push the switch and count the flashes, slow flashes were the tens and the fast flashes were the singles if i remember correctly

Currently run a 56 plate 540. Pulls like a train, averages about 7mpg on heavy work (bulk powder tank over derbyshire mainly) Budget yourself for a new turbo. Mines had 2 now in 3 years. Albeit the second one was under warranty. Living space can’t really be beaten.
The gearbox’s are quite slow on changing like people say at roundabouts and the like, but you soon get used to anticipating that happening and compensate.
Due to the electrical nature of new trucks, you do tend to get warning lights quite often. alot of these are sorted by switching the isolator off for 5 mins, then turning back on. Just resets the computers.

I’d definately have another. Plus the dealer backup is soooooo much better than the local scania, Man and Merc.

One of mine did a turbo, the dealer blew it up when they ‘fixed’ it as they left half a sump’s worth of oil in the intercooler which got it revving a little on the high side when they started it, not for long though :laughing:

They wanted to give me a short block under warranty, but I wanted a complete engine, we got there in the end and they paid for a rental while it was VOR too, but I did have to threaten to chain myself naked to the railings outside the Watford HQ before they realised I meant business :sunglasses: