Iveco Check Engine Fan

Hi All,
I have a Stralis that’s getting hot when stuck in traffic, we have put a new radiator, thermostat and water pump in.
They believe it is the viscous fan that’s the problem. If I plug in with jaltest I can engage it and different speeds and it works.
Iveco seems to think it’s slipping still.
On Japanese trucks I just hold the fan with a broom stick and it will flick it out if it’s properly engaged.
They have warned not to do this on a Stralis.
Is there any way to check if it’s working correctly?

Cheers,
Nick

You’ll need the ambient temperature to be reasonable otherwise you will have to do someting to make it so. Check it the old way. Take the vehicle out for a run to warm up the engine. Return to the workshop and block off the radiator with a large sheet of cardboard with a hole cut in it the size of the fan hub and directly in front of the viscous hub. Rev the engine from idle to near max by blipping the throttle constantly. Carefully monitor coolant and head temperatures with an infra red thermometer.The fan will either cut in or it won’t.

Does it have provision to put a bolt in to keep it going permanently? Could get you out of trouble.

peterm:
Does it have provision to put a bolt in to keep it going permanently? Could get you out of trouble.

Never thought of that good thinking thank you very much

Just send money to my bank. :slight_smile: