Iveco 79.14 brake problems

Hi

I’m not really sure if this is the right place to ask this question, if not please excuse me as I’m new to this board :slight_smile:

The day before yesterday a customer of mine gave me her old 8 tonne Iveco truck - she had given up on it due to persistant brake problems.

The truck has ‘air over hydraulic’ brakes, and the problem is that the front brakes, which are disks, keep binding to the extent that the hubs get extremely hot. On one occasion a disk cracked and had to be replaced.

I’ve searched with Google extensively but can’t find much about this truck - or truck fixing in general - online. I’m a bit surprised, as internet discussion boards have been a great help to me in keeping my tractors and farm machinery in order.

Are there any forums that deal with truck maintainence, or is it possible that someone here might have an idea where I should start looking for a solution to this problem?

I’ll probably be collecting the truck tommorrow; hopefully when I drive it a bit I’ll get more of an idea how serious the problem actually is (although it does sound bad).

There’s two months to go before its MOT (or rather the Finnish version, ‘katsastus’) so I have a bit of time to get it sorted. I’m hoping that I can keep it on the road as it should be a great help to my business. Currently I’m transporting my mini-digger behind my Zetor tractor, which does restrict the area that I can work in somewhat. Anything that goes over 25kmh will be a great improvement I’m sure :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions

“Z”

remove front wheels and take out the pads,check that the callipers slide freely on the slide pins…chances are and experience dictates they wont!

one option is to remove the calliper and knock out the slide pins,clean the pins and housings if there not too badly scored reassemble with a high temp grease and refit…obviously dont forget to bleed the brakes.

another thought i have had the piston stick in the "applied "position on the chamber that pneumatically operates the hydraulic slave causing residual pressure in the hydraulic system on the front circuit,however that does depend on the split on the brake system.

Thanks AH.

I too was wondering if there was a fault causing pressure in the hydraulic system.

I had assumed that if it was the calipers themselves sticking that would have got sorted on one of its many trips to the service centre.

Let’s see though - It looks like I shall be collecting the wagon tomorrow evening so it won’t be long before I can get stuck into it.

The brake system is split front/rear, and I’m told there is no problem with the rear brakes apart from the rear shoes needing replacing or relining. I’m hoping that that will be a straightforward job similar to a car or light van?

Many thanks again

“Z”

Well yesterday I finally got around to taking a look at the problem.

In fact it isn’t a sliding caliper system - the caliper is fixed and has two pots on each side. One of the pistons had siezed due to rust on the inside of the cylinder. Now that’s all cleaned up and put back together it works well :slight_smile: