I've got a new Scania, but . .

Rob K:
I have had a drive in one and the things that instantly me off were that the gears were the worst I’ve ever had to use and iirc, the window control is still operated by your right knee. :angry:

I’m glad I took the DAF CF big-lid in the end - much happier with it.

:slight_smile:

I guess having had a scania for the past 2.5yrs, i’m used to them and quite like them. I think they use a different box on the 6 cylinder engines though.

Eelectric window switch is still on top of the door panel, so you would need some odd shaped knees to be able to operate it.

Had a CF for 6months at Irlams. nice drive, but not a nice cab to be out in all week.

Ragtop:
If I was fortunate enuf to be given a new Scania, there wouldn’t be anything wrong with it… Not that i’m dismissing your issues, but after driving what I do everyday, i’m sure it’d be impossible to find any faults with a new 4 or R series… :smiley:

Luv
Chrisie… :sunglasses:

Don’t get me wrong, i do feel fortunate with what i’ve been bought, gaffer chatted to me about it before ordering it. He suggested a 470 midline, i wanted the topline being out all week and not being on the petite side. i then said i wanted a 6x2 rear lift, and that a 580 would be nice. he said he would only get a 580 in 4x2 or 6x2 midlift. So i got a 500 rearlift(i think the rearlift configuration is more use than another 80hp), fully loaded, just waiting for the fridge/freezer as they are on backorder.

my point is that after all these years, and all the advancement in truck design, simple design issues are still overlooked. The R series could have toppled the SSC had it addressed things like a fullnwidth bunk.

Of course, drivers suffering with ‘small man syndrome’ would still want a SSC! :wink:

Wheel Nut:

kitkat:
you forgot one poll option and that would be none of them :laughing:

Yes I need a neither vote too :stuck_out_tongue:

The poll was simply to find out which model people would prefer if they could have the choice between the two.

I’m not interested in whether either is THE best truck or how many people wouldnt want either.

Was it really such a difficult question to ask?

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: could be worse it could be an fm12

i voted for the R series but it does have its faults,
rob the gearbox does ease as it gets older,i still double the clutch going into high range.
your right about the bunks the cab is too narrow for tramping.
and the dealers ■■■■ too
mine you i never though i would hear rob liking a CF.drove our demo AS-TRONIC version on sat,ROUGH or what.
the IVECO with the same box was much quicker and smoother on sun:D
ps the 143 scanny man ,due to modern technology i would put money on our 420`s outdraging a 143-500 at the same weight up windy hill :laughing: :laughing: :wink:
all noise if you ask me :wink:
jon

rob the gearbox does ease as it gets older,i still double the clutch going into high range.
and the dealers ■■■■ too

Easy! :open_mouth:

Some of us Dealer Staff are sensitive you know!!! :smiley:

Discopete:

and the dealers ■■■■ too

Easy! :open_mouth:

Some of us Dealer Staff are sensitive you know!!! :smiley:

i had a lighting fault on a R series,the guy was trying to dismantle all the passenger door well to get to the fusebox :open_mouth: ,at first i politled hinted were it was,him cursing the "swedish ■■■■ ":shock: :open_mouth: :laughing:
then i had to show him where it was :blush:
jon

jessicas dad:
:lol: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: could be worse it could be an fm12

sorry jd cant agree there,
i don`t see people rushing to drive the R series at our place,its a case of “chuck us the keys for that 05 globy please” :wink:
mine you i had a choice
54 renault knap :wink:
54 R series
after a milli second,the scannys keys where in my hand
sorry ,neil :wink: :wink:

jon

had a lighting fault on a R series,the guy was trying to dismantle all the passenger door well to get to the fusebox ,at first i politled hinted were it was,him cursing the "swedish [zb] "
then i had to show him where it was

Fair enough :open_mouth:

But please don’t tar us all with the same brush :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Some of us actually know what we are doing, And Just to blow my own truppet, I DO know where a R series fusebox is! :smiley:

And i’m sure its not just Scania who have people like this person mentioned above :imp:

i was given the choice after both my boss and i viewed the then new r series on it’s first outing at peterborough last year, i chose the 4 series over the r series and i have no regrets (you can view it in truck and driver this month), i would do the same again tomorrow if i could.
my boss did push the boat out though and i got a 470 topline classic with double glazing and air suspension control unit.
some of the things listed on your r series are not standard, the outer locker on both sides is optional, the leather seats is optional, the microwave and coffee maker are optional (kitchen pack).
we now have an r series opticruise on the fleet with the kitchen pack and i still wouldn’t swap trucks but the driver of the r series would like to swap trucks with me if he could keep the microwave and the coffee maker.
i do like the mosquito net on the sunroof though and the red night lights although they are still a little dim for my liking, why on earth they did away with the folding steps is beyond me too and why make the passenger seat smaller than the drivers seat, it lacks a quality finish even with leather it still looks odd.
i don’t like the split front spotlights either, i can’t see why they did that, whats the point and how do you get covers to fit them?
the top bunk has no proper support either, if you release the straps the bunk falls down, the ladder to the top bunk is difficult to work and hard to see from the bunk when you need to climb out.
i have other complaints too but perhaps too many to list here.
whereas the 4 series is almost perfect but could do with that extra locker on the passenger side, accessible from outside as well as inside.

jessicas dad:
:lol: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: could be worse it could be an fm12

Oh yes… :cry:

i like the 4 series and the r series looks very nice but a recent trip to the cv show really put me off scania they were the only manufacture who wouldnt let ya anywhere near the top of the range truck as it was surounded by a metal fence and any info was shown on a big telly presented by rich hammond from top gear and the sales men well talk about arrogent sorry scania your no longer the best truck on the market

Well, i’ve had a new R series Topline Scania for week now, and i’ve noticed 1 or 2 design flaws. As i’ll be keeping it for the next 5 years,and i tramp the UK all week, these things are already hacking me off and i wondered what other people think.

Having a cutaway/extendable bed goes back 15 years. the seats have to be pushed so far forward, you cant get out of the doors without pushing part of the bed back and moving the seat. not good when needing to answer the call of nature.

the 3 big cupboards are ok, unless you want to store something heavy (maps?) on the weak plastic shelves or if you are fortunate enough to have a factory fitted microwave and coffee maker(like me), they take up a cupboard each.

having 2 outside lockers is good(and you can get to 1 from under the bunk), and they are bigger than the 4series one, but why couldnt they have full size doors like the XF and FH?

there are still gaps between the sun blinds, which again, takes the truck back years.

The drinks holder is ok unless you have a thermal mug in it, then the mug catches your knuckles when selecting 2nd & 5th.

Having 4 coat hooks is nice, but having been out in the rain, putting your coat on any of them will mean the drops of water will end up going on the matress.

i’m sure i will find other niggles in the coming weeks.

Plus points, the climate control is nice, as is the ventilation mode when parked at a DC with the sun shining in. Double glazing cuts road noise and helps with sleeping(parked next to a fridge trailer monday night and slept straight through to the alarm). The bed is comfortable once you are in it. curtains and roof hatch blind are improved. and there is plenty of small-item storage space. the ride is certainly better, and the leather seats are instantly comfortable.

Would be nice to hear what others think about the R series.

I’ve not done an overnight in one so can’t comment on the bunk or space issue generally. However I have had a drive in one and the things that instantly me off were that the gears were the worst I’ve ever had to use and iirc, the window control is still operated by your right knee. :angry:

I’m glad I took the DAF CF big-lid in the end - much happier with it.

:slight_smile:

when my truck went in for its first service there was one of parkinsons r types int the tacho bay so the other driver and I said can we have a look the sales rep said yeah no problem he came out with us with a big grin on his face that soon got wiped off as me and the other drivers got and said in stereo well this load of rubbish (anti censor word inserted but you get the drift) :laughing: that smile went to frown and he went in to sales man mode :laughing: oh weve just had new 530 daf ssc delivered :laughing: wonder why it wasnt a scania :laughing: :sunglasses:

If I was fortunate enuf to be given a new Scania, there wouldn’t be anything wrong with it… Not that i’m dismissing your issues, but after driving what I do everyday, i’m sure it’d be impossible to find any faults with a new 4 or R series… :smiley:

Luv
Chrisie… :sunglasses:

ill bet it aint got nothing on the 143 500 i was playing in this week :laughing: :laughing: the sound from the twin stax was great now why did that asda driver give me dirty look at birmingham as i pulled away in the traffic :laughing:

you forgot one poll option and that would be none of them :laughing:

give me a twingo any day NOT :laughing:

Both rubbish bring back the 3 sieries hard as nails and keep going that’s why Chris Cooper bought them AND they don’t suffer with chassis rust like the 4 sieries

Local dealer got a P reg 114-380 for £10,000 and a N reg 143-450 for £8,500, says it all really