I've asked my MP to introduce a new law

i remember in the late 70’s/early 80’s. i was stood at my local cenotaph on rememberance sunday. a fridge lorry pulled up, the police stopped this vehicle, and the driver got out, switched off his fridge. and paid his respects with everyone else. before the bypass was put in it was the only route for lorries to fleetwood docks, or ICI.
over the last few years, i have witnessed a lot of cars wizzing by, even in the middle of the 2 minutes silence. i have asked the police why they don’t stop this happening. they tell me, that they are no longer allowed to do anything about it.

so. i’ve asked my MP to ask the house of commons to introduce a law which will prevent any motor vehicle from having its engine running within 500 metres of a cenotaph, between the hours of 10.45 and 11.30 on rememberance sunday.

would you be happy to abide by such a law if you was working on that day, and found yourself being forced to stop?
or would you complain?

As much as I appreciate the sentiments in your post, I feel we’ve enough laws as it is.

I really don’t think this needs another one.

206doorman:
As much as I appreciate the sentiments in your post, I feel we’ve enough laws as it is.

would you drive past a cenotaph while a service was going on?

No and I do not need a law for this to make me do

limeyphil:

206doorman:

would you drive past a cenotaph while a service was going on?

No I wouldn’t, but it’s not about me.
We’re all individuals with our personal belief systems and behaviours.
Personal freedom is being eroded every day by ‘good-minded’ people [such as yourself,perhaps]

It’s just so repressing to legislate on a subject such as this.

The men being remembered died for our freedom. Thanks to them this country is free to choose whether to observe the 2 minute silence or not. Taking away that choice would be a much bigger insult.

brit pete:
No and I do not need a law for this to make me do

Hear, hear…!!!

i see what you all mean. why should we need a law like this?
i wish i hadn’t felt so strongly.
but when you are asked by an old veteran in a wheelchair to take him away because of this sort of behaviour, it can make even the toughest of men tearful.

what other alternative is there, than a law?

maybe asking an mp to discuss this in the commons would be enough. it could get plenty of press coverage, then these people who normally don’t think about anyone but themselves, may just stop and think.

then again, most of them can’t see a 44 ton truck, never mind 500 people stood at a cenotaph. :unamused:

Maybe not a law but a publicity campaign to highlight what the parade means and why drivers should stop or reroute to avoid the area on remembrance day.
Too many laws, too many laws that are ignored too.

Understand where youre coming from though.

Mick

Where I live 300 yards from the war memorial the police do stop the traffic. for about 15 minutes on Remembrance Sunday.A few years back there were builders working on a house across the road ,the ignorant zbs had to be told to stop working for the 2 minutes.

I understand where you’re coming from Phil, but people have to stop out of a sense of respect not because they are forced. I think with the publicity about the forces in Iraq and now Afghanistan more people, including younger people, do understand.

I’m sure most places will close the road around a war memorial for the service, for health and safety if nothing else and I for one wouldn’t need to be asked to stop my vehicle.