Its been a while

since I updated everyone on the website,where we are and any future plans…
Normaly I post this sort of updates in here for a couple weeks and then move it to the feedback forum… this one will be no different :slight_smile:

First and lets get the nasty bit out of the way, the reccession has hit hard, it has probably hit the transport industry harder than many others. that has a knock on effect on us, suppliers and advertisers entrench and keep their money in their pockets, this means some of our plans for what we wanted to provide have been put on hold.

In February this year we took offline around 70% of the old TruckNet UK website and concerntrated on upgrading the forums, before we went offline with the old website we were averaging around 1.2 million page views a month.
After we took the old site offline, as expected our page views dipped to around 800,000 a month, our aim was to get back to 1.2 million page views for the forums alone by the end of the year,

Last month we exceeded that figure :grimacing: :grimacing: THANK YOU verified by three independant respected analytic companies (Omniture, Google and Statcounter)

to give an idea of just how much traffic that is, our bandwidth usage last month was over 178.5 Gigabytes.

to put that into perspective, ALEXA rates TruckNet UK in the top 200,000 websites in the world, in the top 17 trucking related websitesand the top Business > Transportation and Logistics > Trucking > Truck Transport > Truck Drivers drivers website.

ALEXA is only one of many “guides” to the internet, and its results are skewed by the fact it relies on people who have the ALEXA toolbar installed to track it results, even so to achieve that high a placement is a credit to the content you guys provide.

Things are going to change though :cry: as we come out of reccession poeple are starting to want to advertise, so we are going to make changes to the forums… :unamused: but not ones you will hopefully notice too much, we are in the process of changing some of the coding that runs the forums, so on each forum we can place those dreaded adverts- you know the ones, the ones down the right hand side :unamused: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Hopefully you all wont notice much change, except the “new and wannabe” forum may carry adverts for driver training schools, the Euro forum may have adverts for ferries, and Bullys bar will advertise – oh god I am scared to even contemplate who would advertise there :grimacing: :grimacing:

I can tell you now, there is a budget for us to be yet again at TruckFest Peterborough 2010 and we will be providing again the free hospitality area and all that entails. It may be next years post christmas party may not as in previous years enjoy a free bar, If it doesnt we will think about wether to hold the “Crazy Auction” as we realise that money is tight all round.

For the future?
We have some plans I hope to tell you about early next year, but I can tell you that we are starting to bring the competitions (for prizes :slight_smile: ) from the magazines into the forums, we want to get more of your ideas and issues into the magazines and we want to bring your input directly to the manufacturers, these plans will hopefully be expanded upon in early 2010

To summate, contrary to some peoples beliefs, TruckNet UK continues to grow, the owners , RBI, continue to invest time and money into it,the volunteer team continue to spend their time and effort keeping the website on track and you the members continue to take it forward. Its been a hard year for us all, but we are still here. Thank you again.

Just to add a small note of clarification:

It may be next years post christmas party may not as in previous years enjoy a free bar, If it doesnt we will think about wether to hold the “Crazy Auction” as we realise that money is tight all round.

Whilst there may not be a free bar, there WILL be a Post-Xmas Party come what may. As she who is tasked with organising it, I’m currently looking at either the last weekend in January or the first weekend in February. If you have any preference, let me know, and I’ll try and go with the date that works for the majority of people. Oh, and there will be at least one drink behind the bar for everyone - before we came under RBI’s wing I used to run a Sunday or two to pay for it, and I’ll do the same again this year if I have to. Just like old times, eh? :wink:

the “new and wannabe” forum may carry adverts for driver training schools

Local Independants or the Nationals ?
I assume RBI will be ‘sensitive’ to the feelings of members…

ROG:

the “new and wannabe” forum may carry adverts for driver training schools

I assume RBI will be ‘sensitive’ to the feelings of members…

Wouldn’t hold your breath, money talks unfortunately ROG :angry:

It also pays for that 178.5Gb a month as mentioned above, which there’s no way on this earth we can afford to pay for out of a wagon driver’s wage. That’s what we had to do before RBI came to the rescue, in case you hadn’t realised. So let’s not go looking a gifthorse in the mouth, eh?

Oh yeah, let’s not forget the large stand and free hospitality at Truckfest, the free bar at Cannock the last 3 years… Just how many Sundays do you lot want me to run for your benefit? I have kids to feed as well, you know!

Whilst Rik can have a word with the sales team on this, it’s ultimately out of his hands which customers they actually get, and in this environment no-one can afford to be high-minded.

ROG:

Lucy:
Whilst Rik can have a word with the sales team on this, it’s ultimately out of his hands which customers they actually get, and in this environment no-one can afford to be high-minded.

garnerlives:
Wouldn’t hold your breath, money talks unfortunately

They will probably see THIS and decide otherwise :wink:

ROG:
They will probably see THIS and decide otherwise :wink:

THIS could do with an update :smiley:

Simon:
THIS could do with an update :smiley:

PM sent

Rikki-UK:
Last month we exceeded that figure :grimacing: :grimacing: THANK YOU verified by three independant respected analytic companies (Omniture, Google and Statcounter)

i wonder who’s been posting and looking around it could be my sidekick :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: :wink:

Lucy:
It also pays for that 178.5Gb a month as mentioned above, which there’s no way on this earth we can afford to pay for out of a wagon driver’s wage. That’s what we had to do before RBI came to the rescue, in case you hadn’t realised. So let’s not go looking a gifthorse in the mouth, eh?

Oh yeah, let’s not forget the large stand and free hospitality at Truckfest, the free bar at Cannock the last 3 years… Just how many Sundays do you lot want me to run for your benefit? I have kids to feed as well, you know!

I wasn’t denying the point that things are done, hospitality, free bar etc, I’m not ‘having a pop’ or anything to that effect, I was merely pointing out to ROG that money talks, the national schools have that money as they charge people more than those going direct to driving schools, so they will be able to stump up the cash to get the ad space.

In my honest opinion, it might not have any effect if Rik speaks to the sales team, they will see someone willing to pay the cash and take it, which is what business is all about I know

Lucy:
before we came under RBI’s wing I used to run a Sunday or two to pay for it, and I’ll do the same again this year if I have to. Just like old times, eh? :wink:

i rather like the idea of you working sundays to pay for my beer :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

It would be interesting to see if the nationals would spend money on advertising on the same pages that discourages candidates from using them. Would the content of some of the forums be cut in order to encourage these sponsors?

Would be funny if these middle men so called training companies advertised on the site… I can see the new forum rule now “no bad mouthing of cowboy training company x, as they advertise on this site.”

Steve-o:
Would be funny if these middle men so called training companies advertised on the site… I can see the new forum rule now “no bad mouthing of cowboy training company x, as they advertise on this site.”

My thoughts exactly.

Big D:
Would the content of some of the forums be cut in order to encourage these sponsors?

On the past performance of Rikki, I don’t see that happening.

And if it did. Then I would anticipate a reduction in ‘staffing’ levels.

:wink:

jessicas dad:

Lucy:
before we came under RBI’s wing I used to run a Sunday or two to pay for it, and I’ll do the same again this year if I have to. Just like old times, eh? :wink:

i rather like the idea of you working sundays to pay for my beer :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

There is a better than even chance, going by old times, that the tab to be drunk is BIGGER than the sum of money you put behind the bar, when Joe comes to remind us that drinking-up time is approaching :open_mouth: :sunglasses: