It's a shame!

I feel I must point out how disappointed in the interaction between questions posed and responded to I have become since this forum has appointed it’s sponsor.

This has basically become a sales platform for Peter Smythe’s Driving School, while I acknowledge the help and advice that he has given over the period of his involvement before becoming the forum sponsor the trainers that used to chime in with advice for the (allegedly) main focus here the prospective trainees have all but disappeared due to their advice now being interpreted as self promotion and or a sales pitch.

While I appreciate the commercial need for this forum to exist I do consider it’s current methodology to be very detrimental to the people that are on here to get the advice and mentoring that they can require.

I understand that posting this comment will be met with many and varied opinions and I am ready to stand by my comments as I sincerely feel that this is a great resource for new and or prospective trainees but this is being heavily diluted by the current format and rules.

As a footnote, I have visited here for many years and have occasionally commented and also been commented on by our own former trainees, although I admit I have not been terribly active as usually I simply do not have the time to be more active in helping the people looking for guidance and by the time I do there has normally been a good reply anyway, but the absence of the trainers that have posted here for years is glaringly obvious and I am probably only stating what many others are actually thinking.

Maybe it’s a case of the other trainers being in exactly the same position as yourself?
They may have less time to visit here and by the time they do, the answer has already been given.
As far as Peter and sales pitches, I do believe whenever he gives advice to people looking at training he doesn’t self promote but encourages newbies to visit more than one trainer for a comparison. Hardly a hard sell sales pitch.
Nobody has stopped the other trainers posting apart from themselves.

Business slow by any chance? Trying to drum up some interest to your business?

7 posts in a whole 5 years, your are obviously a very valued contributor of the forum.

First impressions count in business, after reading this post and looking at your website would i use you as a trainer provider?

The answer is a resounding NO. You have an attitude I don’t like and your website is quite frankly poor, a 5 year old could design a better website.

Impressions count, I could not care less what impressions people think of me as I am just a driver, but if I was a business owner I would care what people’s first impression was of me or my company.

its still annoying every time smythe posts about anything he can remotely post an answer on as its invariably just another chance to advertise…if it was me,on principle,id go elsewhere.i constantly buy stuff on ebay,but on principle,then I don’t buy from anyone with 5000 listings for a h4 bulb to suit every single car ever made etc…the guy that don’t have to ram his co image into your face might just be as good or cost effective as the guy that don’t,on the basis of all the backpage ads for subbies work are generally just total pish.theres obviously 2 sides to anything with opinions differing,hence its a forum.

dieseldog999:
its still annoying every time smythe posts about anything he can remotely post an answer on as its invariably just another chance to advertise…if it was me,on principle,id go elsewhere.i constantly buy stuff on ebay,but on principle,then I don’t buy from anyone with 5000 listings for a h4 bulb to suit every single car ever made etc…the guy that don’t have to ram his co image into your face might just be as good or cost effective as the guy that don’t,on the basis of all the backpage ads for subbies work are generally just total pish.theres obviously 2 sides to anything with opinions differing,hence its a forum.

He pays for the privilege to do so why shouldn’t he?

The guy pays money to the forum to advertise his business for goodness sake, the only people who seem unhappy about it are the ones that also runs businesses that don’t pay and want to be able to do so without paying.

I chose to go with PSTT because they were local to me and have a good reputation and the facilities seemed excellent. They were everything I expected after seeing the place and hearing the recommendations from others.

Honestly my main annoyance with Peter Smythe is his incessant need to put >> :laughing: :laughing: after everything he posts, I mean everything!

Smythie Example:
Yes it’s a shame that driver got mangled, my condolences to his Wife and 3 and a half children :laughing: :laughing:

As for his presence and advice, I have no problem with either.

Hate the smilies not the user! :laughing: :laughing:

(oh god he’s got me at it now :laughing: :laughing: )

arghhhhh… :laughing: :laughing:

:neutral_face:

ALEX MCARA:
This has basically become a sales platform for Peter Smythe’s Driving School

From a new members point of view it certainly seams to be the case. Sad but true.

If it bothers you that much just go into your settings and block his posts,job done…same goes for any other member you may dislike.

Simcor…your comments are both rude and unwarranted. You do not know Alex (and neither do I) however I don’t judge just a person based on his website! I also have seen over the years Alex make worthwhile and useful comments. It’s not quantity. It’s quality.

I have posted on here previously about why I do not come on much on here…

It’s simple… it has changed from an open impartial forum to a sponsored forum that has been over marketed by the sponsor. If PS wants to do that, that’s fine but don’t expect visitors to Trucknet to receive true impartial and independent advice.

And that is why, in my opinion why other TP’s (Training Providers) don’t bother to post.

If you don’t have full contribution you don’t have impartiality. Sponsoring a forum is a very good idea but not when the arse is ragged out of it.

simcor:

7 posts in a whole 5 years, your are obviously a very valued contributor of the forum.

First impressions count in business, after reading this post and looking at your website would i use you as a trainer provider?

The answer is a resounding NO. You have an attitude I don’t like and your website is quite frankly poor, a 5 year old could design a better website.

Impressions count, I could not care less what impressions people think of me as I am just a driver, but if I was a business owner I would care what people’s first impression was of me or my company.

Hi Simcor, I most certainly am not trying to drum up business, (I believe it is forbidden LOL), I am sorry that the thought entered your head. I am simply highlighting my thoughts as to the state of this forum as I think it is a great resource and have intimated as much to our trainees.

I am also very conscious of the fact that when someone does actually comment if they are a sporadic contributor that they receive a vitriolic reply such as yours, I have no doubt that any contribution that I may have made over the years has had no benefit to you personally but why I or my company deserve such a retort I do not know I do not know you and you do not know me.

And lastly if I have given any impression of an attitude this is unintentional, I have read and re-read my post and I don’t see your inference.

Most if not all of Peters posts about his courses are contained in his OWN thread unless he is ASKED for info by other members…are you just trying to ruffle feathers with a bit of ■■■ stirring?come on,be honest.

xichrisxi:
Most if not all of Peters posts about his courses are contained in his OWN thread unless he is ASKED for info by other members…are you just trying to ruffle feathers with a bit of ■■■ stirring?come on,be honest.

Hi xichrisxi,

Not an easy moniker to type by the way.

Genuinely not I really rate this place for new starts and as a trainer that is what I am all about.

Some very interesting comments have been made. :smiley:

Speaking as a TN Site Admin, I have to say that (so far :laughing: ) I can’t see that forum rules have been broken because comments I’ve seen made are in relation to what somebody wrote/offered/provides/provided.

Whilst it’s true that Peter takes full advantage of his ‘sponsor’ status, I’m glad to see the accurate observations made by posters that he’s entitled to advertise etc.

However, the fact that Peter is a sponsor does not preclude any other provider from posting opinions/comments that are within forum guidelines for posting. In fact, some of the providers (including Peter) had a very recent discussion on training methods such as 1:1, 2:1 and artic Vs W+D, which are all great topics for discussion amongst providers.

IMHO, this forum is fortunate that we have a number of top quality providers who are willing to share their methods and publicly offer them for open discussion. I’m of the opinion that this kind of open discussion can only benefit newbies, because they can join in and ask questions.
IMHO, this kind of openness and transparency is to be applauded.

In this context, it’s entirely appropriate for any provider to say “we do it x, y or z way” because we find it best etc…
That’s not counted as advertising, because it stops short of openly saying “come to our place because our course costs £■■ and it starts next Monday,” which would be an advert.
:bulb: We do keep our eye out for this kind of thing, and then there’s always the (confidential) ‘report’ button for if anybody has any concerns. :wink:

I’ll acknowledge that some of the providers who used to post quite regularly do now seem to have ‘gone missing’ but I don’t think it’s fair for anybody to speculate as to their reason(s) for doing so. It’s fair to say that the possible reasons are many and varied. It’s also fair to say that if those providers wished to do so, then they (as always) have the opportunity to say what might be on their mind.

If anybody sees anything of themselves in my post, then my gentle nudge has worked. :wink:

:grimacing: I believe that two of these are customary at this point… :laughing: :laughing:

hgvlgvtraining:
Simcor…your comments are both rude and unwarranted. You do not know Alex (and neither do I) however I don’t judge just a person based on his website! I also have seen over the years Alex make worthwhile and useful comments. It’s not quantity. It’s quality.

I have posted on here previously about why I do not come on much on here…

It’s simple… it has changed from an open impartial forum to a sponsored forum that has been over marketed by the sponsor. If PS wants to do that, that’s fine but don’t expect visitors to Trucknet to receive true impartial and independent advice.

And that is why, in my opinion why other TP’s (Training Providers) don’t bother to post.

If you don’t have full contribution you don’t have impartiality. Sponsoring a forum is a very good idea but not when the arse is ragged out of it.

Quite frankly I could not care less what you think of me.

I am merely stating my opinion the same as the OP and you have.

In this day and age a website is very important and in my opinion I would not use a company that does not have a half reasonable looking website.

Yet you really think someone who has contributed 7 posts in 5 years has helped people on here?

Why do you feel the need to be offended on his behalf? I am sure if the OP is offended they can tell me about it personally not through a 3rd party who also just happens to be an HGV trainer. Funny that.

Anyone who has eyes can see the whole point of the original posters intentions, it is glaringly obvious.

Feel free to block my posts if you don’t like it so you don’t have to read them.

ALEX MCARA:
I feel I must point out …

Hi Alex,

I’ve moved your topic to the Feedback Forum for discussion because the main thrust of it is TN’s treatment of a perceived issue, which is more of a ‘feedback’ thing.

ALEX MCARA:

simcor:

Hi Simcor, I most certainly am not trying to drum up business, (I believe it is forbidden LOL), I am sorry that the thought entered your head. I am simply highlighting my thoughts as to the state of this forum as I think it is a great resource and have intimated as much to our trainees.

I am also very conscious of the fact that when someone does actually comment if they are a sporadic contributor that they receive a vitriolic reply such as yours, I have no doubt that any contribution that I may have made over the years has had no benefit to you personally but why I or my company deserve such a retort I do not know I do not know you and you do not know me.

And lastly if I have given any impression of an attitude this is unintentional, I have read and re-read my post and I don’t see your inference.

It’s a comment about what I can see, all I can see is you having a dig at another company and the fact you have hardly posted on here springs the word troll to mind.
Why have you only posted 7 times in 5 years?
Why have you not posted more to help people out and offer your wisdom and guidance?

Not vitriol at all just stating the facts as I see them. Was there really any need to start your post thinly veiled as a comment on the state of the forum. It seems to thrive pretty well and I see newbies getting lots of help and good advice from a lot of people.

Anyway as I said to the other guy who took offence on your behalf, if you don’t like what I have to say block my posts and you won’t have to read them.

Have a lovely day now.

dieseldave:

ALEX MCARA:
I feel I must point out …

Hi Alex,

I’ve moved your topic to the Feedback Forum for discussion because the main thrust of it is TN’s treatment of a perceived issue, which is more of a ‘feedback’ thing.

DieselDave,

I beg to differ my “thrust” was most definitely not regarding Trucknet’s treatment of a perceived issue it was purely my opinion on what I have always regarded as tremendous resource for new or aspiring drivers, I guess this is what I should have expected in this new era, all I was trying to do was state my opinion of how things seem to be on here these days, but this move to the feedback forum in my opinion is an attempt at hiding anyone who dares to make a perceived derisory or derogatory remark regarding the forum.

My title seems to be quite appropriate now the decision to move the thread has been taken.

Whilst i have not the slightest intention on venturing into this possible spat between trainers, i have to comment on the comment about the quality or not of a website and whether it would influence my desire to deal with the company.

I make use of a lot of online purchasing, mainly that is because between traffic, parking enforcement wide boys, the general public whom i avoid like the plague, but mainly the national shortage of public conveniences and whilst that may be amusing in some ways (old feller, has he been etc) its a sad reflection on the way the high street and retail parks want your money and expect you to shop there, but at the same time won’t provide conveniences…well thats their choice, and its my choice to send my money elsewhere until such time as they realise that alienating solvent people is not the way to run sales businesses.
So after all that guff you didn’t want or need to read :blush: , a sales oreinted website has to be user friendly it it ain’t going to sell to me.

However, when it comes to general websites which smaller businesses set up basically cos they have to these days, i find the website can actually end up putting me off if i get the feeling, and have found this to be the case several times, if the website is an all singing all dancing jobbie with loads of money and time thrown at it, too often that is not reflected in the competence nor honesty of the small business at the back of it, so to summarise, too smart a website can be counter productive too.

See i wouldn’t expect the website of a lorry trainer or other industrial service, not sales oriented, to be necessarily state of the art, i want the services of a lorry trainer not someone who’se fanbloodytastic website makes me go weak at the knees.

A prime example of a website that might put you off is Lings Cars (car leasing), the site is manic but the deals service and customer care and fairness in her dealings are second to none…beware if anyone cares to find it and click on it’s bonkers.

Like others I have no interest in weighing in on the debate per se, as I have no allegiance to any trainer, no loyalty from a pass, or anything like that.

BUT to the OP

If you accept the fact the forum has become sponsored for commercial reasons(and is unlikely to change backwards in a hurry). Then you also have to accept the fact the only way to increase the impartiality of the views presented to trainees questions, is for you and all the other trainers to contribute more than you are now.

You can’t have your cake and eat it surely? It’s either an impartial tool you all help contribute to(although only one provider is allowed to advertise openly) or its PS only zone and you guys don’t complain about the fact.

It’s not as if someone who has the username “Tockwith Training”(used purely because it’s the only one I can remember) isn’t exactly hard to find on the Internet if you liked what he had to say on a particular topic, and go and seek your training with them is it?

Since I started here I have formed views about various of the posters and contributors to the forums. Some I shall keep to myself, but on the whole I have found Peter Smythe to be one of the most helpful educators of all. If he is promoting his business it goes in a thread which is clearly promotional.

The rest of the time Peter seems to dedicate to giving really helpful advice and replies to all sorts of newbie questions. His replies generally seem to be focused on answering the question to the best of his extensive knowledge, and not for the purposes of self-promotion. I’ve seen worse from some other training companies here abouts.

I was not trained by Peter, I had a rather worse experience with another company. I have no knowledge of Peter or his business other than what I have seen here. All I know is that he seems very wise, experienced and willing to dedicate a huge amount of time to helping people out here. If his name - and thereby the business which carries it - becomes better known for all the work he puts in then so be it. If every training company operated with that kind of integrity the industry would probably be a much better place for it.

Better to promote the likes of Peter Smythe than the broker companies and sharks, surely?