Italy's 352hp law

Hey, as promised the Torino motor show of 1977, the year that changed a lot of trucks laws.
The year of open market 1977 with it’s strenuous legislation of 8hp a tonne for 44 gross and so tried to keep it save For it’s own Fiat’s. And an other braking system which was easier to cope with, as the high powered engines.
From 1976 it was allowed to have left hookers.
Now on 5 axles it has been allowed 44 ton, instead the need of 8 axles, old centipedes will still allowed to carry on
the old legislations weights.
Not mentioned is that some were a bit later in '77 to launch there heavy’s.
Berliet TR350hp to 356hp
Ford with the new NTE instead as the mentioned NTC 355 352hp (begin '77)
Daf’s 1160 DKSI 353hp which was used till the 3600 DKZ came, and the 3300 never was sold.

Eric,

Page 1.

See Here, some more.

page 2 and 3.

Page 4 and 5.

Merci beaucoup pour…err…thanks for posting that, Tiptop- it is a much more detailed account than that in Commercial Motor. I get the impression that the new Italian legislation came as a bit of a surprise, given the lengths that the makers went to. For example, Mercedes appeared to use the crankshaft of the later OM423 engine, but kept the bore the same as the existing 403. Bedford’s TM4400 was launched with 365hp DIN at 1950rpm yet, only 18 months later, the “full” version with 400bhp appeared at Turin.

Here’s the CM article, for the sake of comparison:

Good thread. Worth exploring. The Italian spec Bedford TM Detroit 400s should feature here. Robert :smiley:

robert1952:
Good thread. Worth exploring. The Italian spec Bedford TM Detroit 400s should feature here. Robert :smiley:

You’re a glutton for punishment. Having said that, thanks to Tiptop’s posting of the French report, the forum now has every TM variant’s introduction date verified so, until another fantasy needs shooting down, we can continue the good stuff. :laughing:

Hey Anorak, thanks for your input. mine only in French.
For Mercedes the engine’s type stayed OM403 with the longer stroke but got an X so OM403X
I saw the TM had the 92 engine but with lower power as the later 386 (400).
Between '70 and '77 Italy was very closed, some sold already, but not for long distance.
NG en 2800 were shown in '73 on a stand. Volvo and Scania did not. Scania sold alreay the 140, and the French Berliet’s and Saviem’s were there to. As Under Fiat flag was sold the bonneted UNIC’s
As I remember only the later 140 was seen on long distance, but only in very low volumes.
It was a bit as in other Europian countries one or two decades before, which had their own marques.
But in that time if you wanted a permit you had to buy Italian, later you had the choise of course with hevy import taxes. As in Spain with its heavy import taxes. But if someone can tell here. I heard that it was not for some marques??
Spain friendly countries under the Franco regime.
Eric,

If you want to know more about Italy, try this once. www.forum-macchine.it

Eric,