It’s driving me insane

A couple of weekends ago I bought some new pc equipment so that the kids had their own pc’s in there bedroom with internet access for homework.

Since I went on broadband the only pc with net access was my own so i also bought a linksys wireless ADSL gateway. The bloke in the shop made them sound so simple.

Anyhow, after a couple of hour on the helpline I have figured it out so that we can all get on the net. However, I can only open certain pages. It will let me log on to auto trader but not eBay. I can get my hsbc bank details but not my Barclays.

I also bought Norton anti virus. To be honest I never bothered with one before as all the terminology used to confuse the hell out of me but I ran firewalls. Could the Norton be part of the problem?

There’s allsorts of other bits and bat that need a bit of attention too like setting up outlook express, but I want to try to sort it out bit by bit… Right off to dig up that old thread on outlook express but if you could shed any light you just might save my sanity.

Phil

Chances are you will need to go into Norton - Status and Settings - Personal Firewall - Configure - Networking Tab and use the Wizard to put your network in the Trusted Zone. That should cure it.

Coffeeholic:
Chances are you will need to go into Norton - Status and Settings - Personal Firewall - Configure - Networking Tab and use the Wizard to put your network in the Trusted Zone. That should cure it.

Hope you’re paying attention to that Wheelnut & JB :laughing: .
Sounds fair enough to me :confused:

Salut, David.

Some of them have their own firwalls built in to them so you might want to access that too, from th4 main computer i think you have to type the I.P. address of the other one in and it brings up the firewall or something like that.

I use a hub and i had the same problems!!!.

Cheers coffee, I’ve tried that and it was set at trusted sites but still no difference

Spardo:

Coffeeholic:

Hope you’re paying attention to that Wheelnut & JB :laughing: .
Sounds fair enough to me :confused:

Salut, David.

Eh? whats he say? You want it there when? :stuck_out_tongue:

OK, serious question now,

When you are watching all these ■■■■ channels on your wireless network. Can the kids trace your movements and history? :smiley:

now that is a good question :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
as the kids probably know more than you about computers then yes

Both sites you want to view will need to have their ‘cookies’ enabled before you can log onto your account.
What Norton product did you install? Was it it just the antivirus or was it the internet security package, with the firewall?

marlow:
I also bought Norton anti virus.

Why, when there’s quality free products out there such as AVG Antivirus and Zone Alarm Firewall?? Has been discussed on here many times.

marlow:
Could the Norton be part of the problem?

Yes!

I’d be tempted to download the free ones i’ve mentioned, uninstall any trace of Norton, Live Update etc and any of the other crap that Norton loads on your system and then go to the setup of the gateway (usually by typing in an IP address which will be in the documentation) and then work your way through the settings, going for medium at best and probably better, least security (don’t worry, the AVG & Zone Alarm will be protecting you).

I am in a hotel just now (part of the ‘move house, move country’ farse that i’m going through!) but I could be more accurate if I had access to my own kit. What I do know is that the Linksys routers etc are one of the easiest (and best) out there so console yourself with that thought!!

Forget about the Linksys unit it won’t be that, unless you have deliberately set it to block the two sites.
It may be the settings for your Internet browser or if you are running Nortons firewall it could be that.

Both sites you are having trouble with require access to cookies stored on your machine. If your browser or firewall are blocking access then you will be able to get to the log on page but no further.

For the firewall go to the ‘Options’ window and select the ‘Web Content’ tab. Look down the list of sites and customise the ‘User Settings’ for the site to Permit cookies.

For Internet Explorer go to ‘Tools’ then ‘Internet Options’ now select the ‘Privacy’ tab click on ‘Sites’ and follow the instructions to allow cookies.

That should work
:confused:

i had a similar problem with my bt voyager2100 now i have sorted it but
trucknet was a site i couldnot use :cry:
bring up norton disable that enable cookies and popups but keep winxp firewall on then try

Zone alarm is the best that is all i have used in the last, don’t know now maybe 5/6 years