IT.s About Time

Have just read the Insider post- about stricter controls.from VOSA: on Lorries.

WELL IT IS ABOUT TIME but lets share the stricter controls around,to inculde
ALL transport users,so that no one side gets given the chance to be called PRIVILEGED; also why is it not possible to get other countrys representatives
of their VOSA unit to visit the UK and see for themselves what some of their countrys transport firms are up to,

Part of the problem is the fact that there are EU regs but no EU enforcement and punishment, the only way things are going to be fair is if there is actual EU enforcement where the crime and the punishment are the same within the EU and no one can break the law in one country and just drive into another, or in the case of the UK just ignore the law because you can guarantee VOSA dont want to know.

It sounds about time and some of the ideas are good, but I doubt things will work properly.

pete said;

also why is it not possible to get other countrys representatives
of their VOSA unit to visit the UK and see for themselves what some of their countrys transport firms are up to,

They do. There seems to be some exchange programme between; France, Eire, Belgium, Holland, Luxembourg and Britain. Was near Rennes two summers ago and had a nasty surprise when five jolly VOSA popped up at the roadcheck :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Apparently quite common to see them at St Omer peage as well.
Ralliesport said;

Part of the problem is the fact that there are EU regs but no EU enforcement and punishment, the only way things are going to be fair is if there is actual EU enforcement where the crime and the punishment are the same within the EU and no one can break the law in one country and just drive into another, or in the case of the UK just ignore the law because you can guarantee VOSA dont want to know.

You hit the nail on the head there. The EC Regs do not contain any penalties, that is up to the domestic legislation in each Member State. Some States see matters of Drivers Hours with more importance than others. Although the problem in the UK is possibly more with the reluctance of the Courts to deal with drivers hours matters committed by foreign drivers than VOSAs’. Apparently getting a Court to accept ‘proof of service’ on a foreign driver is really difficult. Perhaps matters will change next year when graduated deposits are brought in. The other thing that might change life is the concept of ‘extraterritoriality’ proposed in the new Drivers Hours rules. This means that the offence will be dealt with wherever it is discovered, no matter where it was committed, could be interesting. :smiley:

Extraterritoriality is the state of being exempt from the jurisdiction of local law, …Crazy concept… :frowning:

geebee45 YES I know thatbut when have you seen represenatives from
FRANCE;HOLLAND GERMANY etc in the UK and helping the VOSA out
THIS would be a very good idea and also the Vosa can exchange with
there partners from other countrys information and also give each other tips
about the black sheep of there countrys transport firms,

brit pete:
geebee45 YES I know thatbut when have you seen represenatives from
FRANCE;HOLLAND GERMANY etc in the UK and helping the VOSA out

Yes, I can remember several times being stopped in controls near Dover and the French were assisting the UK officers. On one occasion I was even filmed driving onto the weigh bridge and being checked over by a French video crew who were also on site.

Okay SORRY we seem to have had the French but have we had the other representatives from the other EU countrys visiting UK .Iknow that the BAG doesgoabouta lot but have never heard of them visiting the UK: