It could have been any of us

Asda, Norwich this afternoon.
Some poor zb in a foreign registered Scania had pulled into the fuel station. It has no signs warning no HGV’s & a canopy tall enough to fit under but no way out in between the booths big enough for a truck, so the driver did & U turn, or tried to.
Unfortunately as he drove over a brick weave area separating the normal fuel pumps from the pumps that take credit cards his front o/s wheel dropped through the top of a fuel tank, (I’m told,) this resulted in not only Fire engines, an ambulance & god knows who else turning up on site to deal with the resulting problem but also a crane to lift the front end out & help extract the truck.
This could have been anyone of us, as I said no warning signs & plenty of head room & little chance of safely reversing out without help, which I doubt he would have got even had he asked for it.

Reminded me of time I went into fuel at garage in Middlesbrough or Stockton (can’t remember which) and it had 15’2" height limit on canopy. I was 14’11" so went and fuelled up. As I was pulling out other side of garage heard scraping sound and got out to find I’d pulled edge of canopy off :blush: Went into shop to tell them and girl cashier said that they’d just made a new extension to canopy which was lower than the rest but hadn’t got round to changing height signs :open_mouth: Needless to say I didn’t hear anymore about it :smiley:

mayby a wee e-mail to ASDA’S head office to inform them off this fault on there behalf and to please sort it immediately.as you say daxi it could be anyone of us. :wink:

A Portugese artic driver for Willi Betz got stuck in Pottergate in Norwich the other week, trying to deliver to Jarrolds after a taxi driver gave him directions.

If you don’t know Norwich, it’s safe to say you would think twice about going down Pottergate in a Transit!

I hate delivering to bloody Jarrolds even in a Rigid, managed to back down to their doors once in an 18T and thought I wasn’t gonna get out again, next time I went was a 26T with a big overhang so I had to lug the stuff over the road and down to the warehouse door. :unamused:

next time I went was a 26T with a big overhang so I had to lug the stuff over the road and down to the warehouse door.

yeah watch me :laughing: :laughing: they would have been phoned and told your delivery is up here come and get it otherwise it’s going back to depot. :laughing:

When I had a share in a double decker bus (14’6") in Sheffield we discovered that we could get it under Sainsbury’s canopy at Meadowhall, but there wasn’t clearance to get out at the other end. Not wishing to lose our source of cheap diesel we just used to reverse out the same way as we arrived. Got bonus motorist confusing points as well :smiley:

I do think that all canopies should be marked with the height though. Might stop some of them getting clouted.

Sainsbury’s didn’t mind.

Calv

Nice job done on stafford southbound the other week, the canopy was only a week old and instead of reversing out they carried on. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: